• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birth Control + Ovarian Cysts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Control + Ovarian Cysts?

Hi Guys!
    I'm having a bit of an issue at the moment and I am hoping I can hear from some ladies who may have had the same issue. Let me start by saying I have seen my doctor once for this before my symptoms got this bad, and I am going to call tomorrow to make an appointment to see her again. I am just a worry wort and would like to get some sort of idea or more information as to what I am dealing with here.

Anyway! I'm 20 years old and have been on birth control since around 12-13 due to a diagnosis of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (or PMDD). I was originally on the Depo shot for a few years where I had no periods or spotting at all. I went on the pill for about a year and now have been back on the Depo shot since. Up until about a week ago, I have had no spotting or bleeding at all. Now last Sunday I had horrible stomach cramping for about an hour, then I got sick and felt fine. Afterwards, I noticed I was spotting. About a year ago I was feeling what I thought might be an ovarian cyst on my right ovary but I had no pain and forgot about it for the most part. Now after I noticed I was spotting I have had pain in that same area. Thursday I went to the doctor, tested negative for pregnancy and a UTI and was told to come back if the bleeding continues, which it has. Since the doctor visit (Thursday morning, it is now Sunday night), I have had more stomach cramping that usually leads to vomiting and have been constipated on and off since. At times I feel fine, can eat whatever I want and am feeling wonderful...other times I have a piece of toast and am instantly in pain.

My initial thought was an ovarian cyst that ruptured, I thought that was the stomach cramping and why I was spotting randomly. Now with these new symptoms and them still being around, but coming and going, I am not sure what to think. Has anyone who has experienced having ovarian cysts comment on this? Was your experience anything like mine, or does this seem like something completely different? As I said, I am going to call my doctor tomorrow morning but I am a bit worried and would like to go into my appointment with some sort of idea as to what may be happening.

Sorry this ended up being so long, but I hope someone read it and has some advice for me. Thanks!

Hey carly! When I was on hormonal bc, I experienced some really weird issues like that at times (they were rare) and I always felt that they were ovarian cysts. I will say, I have not experienced anything even remotely like that since going off birth control. I'm a firm believer that when we take something that inhibits the body from doing what it is supposed to do, we will pay some negative consequences for it. I can't imagine it being healthy for any woman in her reproductive years to forcibly not have a period for years at a time.

With all that said, I would definitely want an ultrasound of the ovaries if I were you. I would also want checked for uterine fibroids. I think it's odd that your pain is or at least sometimes tied to food. But it could definitely be ovary related.

I hope you get some answers today. Check back in and let us know!!!
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
      Hey carly! When I was on hormonal bc, I experienced some really weird issues like that at times (they were rare) and I always felt that they were ovarian cysts. I will say, I have not experienced anything even remotely like that since going off birth control. I'm a firm believer that when we take something that inhibits the body from doing what it is supposed to do, we will pay some negative consequences for it. I can't imagine it being healthy for any woman in her reproductive years to forcibly not have a period for years at a time.
      With all that said, I would definitely want an ultrasound of the ovaries if I were you. I would also want checked for uterine fibroids. I think it's odd that your pain is or at least sometimes tied to food. But it could definitely be ovary related.
      I hope you get some answers today. Check back in and let us know!!!
      Thanks so much! Going off birth control is simply not an option for me nor something I am interested in doing due to my PMDD. On birth control, theres a chance of negative consequences. Off birth control, there is a 100% chance of intense physical pain and mental distress that either causes me to basically be bed ridden for 2 weeks every month, or sends me to the hospital. I guess what I'm trying to say is, at this point the health of my reproductive organs doesn't even cross my mind. The risk of going off is too much & I can't stand children anyway, so I won't be using them for that lol.

ANYWAY, I just called the doctor today, no answers until Wednesday. We will see what happens then! She had mentioned an ultrasound as well at my first appointment, so I am expecting her to do that. Problem is my insurance has to approve every test (other than simple tests such as blood or urine) and so far they haven't approved any since I have been with this insurance company...they say I am not that badly in need of them. So that worries me a bit but we will see. Fingers crossed! And I will give an update when I've got some answers as well

Comment

I don't blame you a bit. I was just the opposite because bc made me feel SO BAD. I lost a lot of my hair, had zero sex drive, no energy, emotional rollercoaster constantly, etc etc etc. If being ON it makes you feel better, then that's enough reason to stay on it. I know how strongly I feel (for myself, only) about not being on it because it was that intense for me, so I can relate to your feelings.

It all depends on how your doc writes it up. Or at least, how they write it up makes a big impact. I had an insurance company deny a lower back MRI after I was in an accident, broke my elbow and damaged my hip. Even then they wouldn't approve it. It's pure craziness!!!! I hope the insurance goes through for you so you can hopefully get some answers. I know how nerve wrecking it is to have to wait.

Love your hair, btw.

Comment

I don't blame you a bit. I was just the opposite because bc made me feel SO BAD. I lost a lot of my hair, had zero sex drive, no energy, emotional rollercoaster constantly, etc etc etc. If being ON it makes you feel better, then that's enough reason to stay on it. I know how strongly I feel (for myself, only) about not being on it because it was that intense for me, so I can relate to your feelings.

It all depends on how your doc writes it up. Or at least, how they write it up makes a big impact. I had an insurance company deny a lower back MRI after I was in an accident, broke my elbow and damaged my hip. Even then they wouldn't approve it. It's pure craziness!!!! I hope the insurance goes through for you so you can hopefully get some answers. I know how nerve wrecking it is to have to wait.

Love your hair, btw.
          Oh yeah, trust me I have heard horror stories of when women take birth control. Thank GOD I havent had that experience...I dont even know what I would have done lol.

I've heard that before, I'll need to mention that to her. For whatever reason, its one of the secretaries who is in charge of getting approval for tests rather than the doctor. Im sure the doctor has an impact when writing why I need it as you mentioned, but I am wondering if the process at my office has something to do with it. Not sure. I'll have to push that when I go in Wednesday.

& Thanks so much! I kinda screwed up the color since that picture was taken so I think I'll be saying goodbye to purple soon but I had a good time with it while it lasted lol

Comment

Update: for anyone curious, since this post, I have had even worse abdominal pain along with more vomiting and such. I continue to bleed and as of last night I am bleeding a lot more than before. Today I went to my doctor again she was originally thinking it could be an appendix issue if it wasn't a cyst. She kinda felt around my belly today and there was no pain so she does not think it is an appendix issue anymore. She is starting to think the bleeding and pain could be two separate issues, which I am sorta skeptical of because the bleeding started immediately after the first bout of stomach pain. So today I got some bloodwork done and am waiting to hear from her on that, and I've got an appointment early on Friday morning to get a transvaginal and pelvic ultrasound. Fun! If there are not enough answers through those, she is going to send me to get a CAT scan.

So...I'm still just playing the waiting game...

Comment

I considered that too, but it does seem that the two issues are intertwined. I suppose the abdominal pain and vomiting could be your gallbladder. And then the bleeding could be strictly hormonal, resulting from the depo.

Regardless, I know you're overdue for some answers. Good luck with your ultrasounds today. Keep me posted!

Comment

I considered that too, but it does seem that the two issues are intertwined. I suppose the abdominal pain and vomiting could be your gallbladder. And then the bleeding could be strictly hormonal, resulting from the depo.

Regardless, I know you're overdue for some answers. Good luck with your ultrasounds today. Keep me posted!
                Gallbladder actually didn't come up as an option so maybe I'll look into that on my own. Things took an interesting turn, though. So I did not get the ultrasound done. The reason is a bit personal, all I will say is I was not comfortable with the type. Having that done would have brought up some really difficult memories and things from the past and the days before the ultrasound the pain was not there at all, no matter what I ate. As I wrote my update, I was bleeding more than normal and for a longer period of time and after that, it went away and has been gone since. Because of these two things, I decided to not go through with the ultrasound because at the end of the day it truly was not worth putting myself through that when the symptoms had gone away.

NOW, let me say, I do have an appointment on July 12th to get my birth control shot. I am sorta holding out on that for now and that has a lot to do with why I didnt go through with the ultrasound, as my doctor thought a lot could be because I was due for my next dose soon. If the symptoms do come back (lets hope not) and they continue after I get my next shot, I will need to force myself to go through the testing. I hate to be one of those people who doesnt go through with testing when doctors recommend them and I usually am not like that, but when she had said ultrasound originally, I just assumed it was a regular ultrasound, not a trans vaginal ultrasound. I just was not willing to put myself through that distress unless I truly truly NEEDED to. But again, with the shot coming up and that giving me something to sorta fall back on, I left it at that for now.

Comment

I'm glad you're feeling better!! Just don't ignore any warning signs your body is giving you. If you're truly feeling good again, that's wonderful and I hope it stays that way!!! Here's to hoping your symptoms stay away!

Comment

In case if you forget to have birth control pills, you can avoid the unwanted pregnancy by having certain medications. My friend buys MTP kit from onlinegenericpills and terminates her 9-week pregnancy as per her convenience. As per my knowledge, the woman having birth control pill suffers from various side effects.

Comment

Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) can be dangerous if done without proper medical supervision.
                      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Working...
                      X