Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copper IUD Concerns

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Copper IUD Concerns

I'm a virgin and I want to get the copper IUD, but I am afraid that I will be able to feel it pushing up against my uterus during sex. Those things seem to take up the space of almost the whole uterus, so I don't understand how women don't feel them. Do you/have you had an IUD, and if so, have you experienced that?

• Discuss this with your doctor. They should be able to give you a good idea, based on your own anatomy. Some docs still won't place an IuD in patients that have not had a child. They may consider the Mirena moreso than the copper.
    Based on the expense and likelihood of dissatisfaction with it, there may be better options for you.

Have you already talked to your doctor about this?
    Last edited by atskitty2; 11-18-2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
      Discuss this with your doctor. They should be able to give you a good idea, based on your own anatomy. Some docs still won't place an IuD in patients that have not had a child. They may consider the Mirena moreso than the copper.
      Based on the expense and likelihood of dissatisfaction with it, there may be better options for you.

Have you already talked to your doctor about this?
      Oh, okay! I didn't know that. The only reason I don't want the Mirena is because I would rather have non-hormonal birth control. I used to take the pill and it didn't do well with me. Plus, I'm concerned about health risks of hormonal birth control. I want to make an appointment, but I'm pretty nervous about someone seeing me "down there"... I know they see that a lot, but I'm a bit insecure about that part of it. I know I'll have to do it anyway, though!

Comment

• Update: I went to the doctor and the nurse was explaining to me that she doesn't recommend going through with the IUD, since I'm a virgin, and since I have not had children. I told her that I have masturbated, so I have had something "in there", but I think she was thinking that it doesn't matter. Later, the doctor came in and she gave me the O.K. to go through with it, but she said that she would like me to come back while I'm on my period, so that my cervix is more open and it will be easier. I had a physical and everything was okay.

Comment

• Great! I know of 2 women who have never been pregnant that got a Mirena, but my doctor does not do it. So I think it's a case by case choice.
          Glad you have that option. Good luck!

Comment

• Best wishes.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post
              Best wishes.
              Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                Great! I know of 2 women who have never been pregnant that got a Mirena, but my doctor does not do it. So I think it's a case by case choice.
                Glad you have that option. Good luck!
                My aunt is two years older than me and has never had children and she just got the Paragard. Thanks!

Comment

• Update: I went to the family planning clinic and was told that there could be complications when inserting the Paragard because I'm not sexually active and haven't had children. They are suggesting that I choose another form of birth control. I still want the Paragard and I'm probably going to see a gynecologist about it. I've never been to the gynecologist before.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                  X