Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Increased UTIs and BV with hormonal IUD?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increased UTIs and BV with hormonal IUD?

I've had my hormonal IUD for several years now (Lyletta) and every since I got it I've been really prone to UTIs and BV/yeast infection type situations. My doctor said it could be from the IUD but they don't really know why that happens. Has this happened to anyone else? Was there anything you could do to prevent it besides getting the IUD removed?

• I think I did have more issues when I was on hormonal birth control (oral). Have you checked your pH? You may consider that and correct your pH if it's off. I've often found when I have issues with yeast or BV, or other issues, I usually have an imbalance, and once I correct that, all is well. Your pH could be a factor in both, but I'm guessing your UTI's are closely related to the fact that there's actually a foreign object there, perhaps even a string? and that bacteria has something to hang out on, and then eventually travels up the urethra.

Comment

• only have had one UTI
      on vacation early in marriage when we had lots of sex; we were out of country & I had to go to a Dr
      "honeymoonitis" was said

has it happened with lots of sex?

Comment

• amy40 I have definitely noticed that sex is something that can trigger it but I've also gotten UTIs just on days I didn't drink enough water.

Comment

• I've never had an IUD but I was on hormonal BC many (many) years ago. Hormonal changes can affect your vaginal pH (BC, pregnancy, menopause) so it might be due to the hormonal shift versus the implant. (Then again, it could be the IUD specifically.)

Have you been on other types of hormonal BC before?

My mom used to be really prone to UTIs and cranberry juice was a constant thing found in her fridge. There are cranberry supplements that support urinary health and those can help too if you don't want the extra sugar or don't like the taste of cranberry juice. A couple of times over the years when I started feeling that "ick" that comes with a UTI (mine always start with an "ick" feeling, I don't know how else to explain it — it comes before the pain with urination does, for me), I took cranberry supplements and it took care of things without a trip to the doctor.

Comment

• Alison H. Before the IUD I was on hormonal birth control pills and while I was on the pill I never had any side effects.

I have definitely tried all the home remedies! (For yeast infections too.) For me the only thing that actually helped was drinking a TON of water and just totally flushing out my system.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• Sex with my daughters Boyfriend???

Long story short, this guy has been with my daughter for 10 years. They just bought a house and had a new-born. After retiring, I've been helping out...

06-15-2021, 09:35 PM By BlondeCougar
            • Normal to Like Significant Other Walking Around Nude in House with a Bush?

Is it normal to like your partner to walk around fully nude in the house with a bush? To enjoy looking at "big chest" and "big behind"?...

06-14-2021, 05:14 PM By lakeocean
            • Erotica

I love erotica! It’s such a fun way to get off. Stimulating the mind and body at the same time. If you like to read erotica too, I’d like to know...

06-09-2021, 12:14 PM By Zoë T.
            • Ever Tried Laser Hair Removal?

I’m interested in getting laser hair removal for my pubic hair and armpits. I’m worried about the pain aspect of laser hair removal - if you’ve...

06-09-2021, 11:40 AM By Zoë T.
            • Grower vs Shower

Does anybody have experience with a guy's penis changing significantly in length when getting hard?? Or not changing at all? I've only experienced a tiny...

06-03-2021, 04:40 PM By Julia W.
            Working...
            X