Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vasectomy consideration

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vasectomy consideration

My wife is 45 and I’m 43, we have two kids and we’re done having kids specially at this age. My wife had used IUD in the past and had side effects from it and had taken it out a few years ago and we’ve been using condoms as birth control. She’s been wanting me to get a vasectomy for a while now after her friend told her the sex was much better after her husband got it. I finally decided to man up and get it done. I’m scheduled for it soon.
    I’ve been really nervous but I don’t want my wife to suffer any side effects from other birth control methods.
    Is it still worth it for me to get it if she’s 45 and almost reaching menopause?
    does it really make sex better?

• Toj - at 45yrs old, your wife could still be 10yrs away from menopause. So I say, yes get the V. Sex w/o condom is much more enjoyable than with. Plus, with 2 young kids it makes those quickies even more likely.

BTW - my wife had her tubes done after our 2nd child was born (planned C-section). We have been birth control free for~ 20yrs. Although I was spared having to get the V, I would have done it back then for sure after we decided that 2 kids was out sweet spot.

Comment

• Even at 45 and reaching menopause soon, she could still get pregnant. Even while going through perimenopause (the part that comes before full menopause), she could get pregnant. Like EmpyNester mentioned, she could be a decade away (or even longer) from full-on menopause — so in my opinion, the vasectomy is still definitely worth it at this point.

I can't speak to whether or not it makes sex better, however; I had a hysterectomy years ago so a vasectomy was never something my husband had to consider at any point. But it could make sex better even from just knowing that BC is no longer needed and pregnancy isn't a possibility. When you can have all the sex you want and NEVER have to worry about that... it IS very freeing, in a lot of ways.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to have you had sex outside?

thanks for sharing everyone!

we only did it outside twice
        once time was on vacation

it's exciting cause there's always...

05-12-2022, 05:37 PM By amy40
      • Reply to Egg Donation

Vanessa R. Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It sounds like even the screening process is lengthy (which does make sense like you mentioned)...

05-12-2022, 10:45 AM By Zoë T.
      • Reply to have you had sex outside?

Alison H. I agree with the question you raised! Does tent sex count!? The only time I had sex outside was on a camping trip (technically inside) a tent....

05-12-2022, 10:31 AM By Zoë T.
      • Reply to gifts for spouse/boyfriends

I discovered the gift of experiences this past Christmas — I bought a few of them for people because I thought it was SO cool. I'll have to look up...

05-11-2022, 09:57 AM By Alison H.
      • Reply to Underwear or not?

I do — but I'm so prone to UTIs (thanks, menopause!) that I'm afraid not to. I USED to skip underwear years ago, but it's been a LONG time.

05-11-2022, 09:46 AM By Alison H.
      widgetinstance 381 (Latest Topics On Our Forums) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X