Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaving alternatives?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving alternatives?

Hi everyone! I'm a twenty year old college student with extremely coarse dark leg hair. All my life I've had excess body hair and have recently taken to laser treatments to get rid of the hair on my face. I've been overweight for a number of years so I've always worn long pants even in the heat of the summer. Now though, I've been losing a lot of weight and I really want to start wearing shorts or skirts. The problem is my leg hair. Even when I shave my legs you can still see the root under the skin because my hair is so dark and my skin is pale. I also get terrible shaving bumps. I've tried so many other options but the only depilatories I've found that work on my coarse hair also irritate my sensitive skin. There's no way I can afford laser treatments on my legs as well and constant trips to get them waxed are also not a realistic option. Are there any other alternatives that can get rid of the hair completely without harming my skin? I'd really appreciate any ideas!

• Waxing at home

Aqua,

I have been waxing myself for years now, and really have never had any problems with it. I regularly take care of unwanted facial hair, my eyebrows, armpits, legs and bikini areas. If you go to a beauty supply store, you can pick up a wax heater pot and select a type of wax for the job you need to do. Many times you can get "Starter Kits" for less than it would cost for 1 waxing at a salon or spa. Pay attention to the instructions on your heater, so you do not burn yourself, as wax in beauty salon heaters can get hot. By using this, I get salon results at home. Even though it does take some extra time, it is well worth the work. And, over time, you should see your hair become less and less coarse. I save hundreds of dollars every 6 weeks by doing it myself--which in this economy is awsome!:

Comment

• I have the same problem, but I also have more hair than usual on my arms. I found that Nair worked very well when I tried it on a patch on my upper arm but because my hair grows so fast it only took a few days for the the hair to start growing back. And Nair seems to only work well when you have longer hairs. Its cheap though so you could give it a try.
      There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Have you tried epilating? Over time it (apparently) reduces leg hair growth... according to my mother who has been waxing and epialting since her teens, she used to have thick dark hairs and now she has sparse lighter ones....

So I started epilating and your legs feel smooth for ages and although they cost quite a lot a first you don't have to keep going out and buying new razors, shaving foam, powder, wax strips etc. etc. for other stuff

hope this was helpful

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• Letting a friendship fade away

Over the past few years, the tone of a friendship of mine has changed. We have a mutual friend, and last week, we finally had an honest chat about how...

08-30-2020, 07:41 AM By atskitty2
        • When to call it quits?

It's sometimes difficult to know when to end a romantic relationship, and for what reasons. Dating can be a challenge, and finding someone worth investigating...

08-30-2020, 07:14 AM By atskitty2
        Working...
        X