Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feel horrible after my oopherectomy HELP

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel horrible after my oopherectomy HELP

Hi, I am 32 year old and I had my right ovary and part of my left ovary removed with both falopian tubes removed. I thought that I would bounce back pretty quikly but still seem to be pretty sore when I am walking around and a bit emotional today. I have done alot of research and have left a post on a different thread. I was told by my doctor that a may experience menopausal symptoms but It would most likely not be menopause. I do know that my left ovary should make enough hormone to keep me from menopause and keep my periods afloat. But my doctor said that there is know way to know if the remaining ovary will actually make as much hormone as your body previously made unless I show severe symptoms and they do hormone testing. She said that in her experience that regardless you are taking out a vital female organ and some adjustments could need to be made. She said she may put me on a birth control and it may help me out if there are any symptoms. I am feeling very flushed, kind of depressed almost ready to break into tears for almost no reason. Like I said I am still very sore and get dizzy when I am on my feet for more than 5 minutes. I have my post op next week but I don't want to bug my doctor too much so I thought maybe there is someone out there that has had a similar situation that could share. I would greatly appreciate any advise and or possible treatment or someone to just tell me that this is totally normal or not. Thanks

• In my non Doctor opinion.
    If your having hot flashes your hormones are in the tank and you need to talk to a doctor about Hormone Replacement. We did a lot of R&D on this and feel that the way to go is to measure your hormones and replace only those that are low. And you need to use only real human hormones. Not Horse type hormones like Prempro etc.

Are you feeling depressed? Moody? Anxiety a problem? Having difficulty thinking clearly? Does sex seem much less "Nessesary"? Are you having problems with lubrication? Your in surgical menopause. And while I'm just in the regular menopause its no fun...

Talk to your Doctor about Bio Identical Hormones and if she is not up to speed search out a doctor who is. You might be able to find one through a Compounding Pharmacy that makes them. *Note there are mainstream prescription drugs like Climara V Dot etc that are real estrogen also. If you have sex drive issues consider Testosterone (In female levels) I've been using a compounded mix of Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone and DHEA and feel 1000 times better.

Hang in there! Be sure to scream loudly and often if the treatment is not working. The doctors need feedback to adjust the dose and help you to feel right again.
    "Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." ~ Janis Joplin

Comment

• Thanks so much for your feed back. I really thought I had done so much research about this situation but there is just not a real clear answer on some of this just a lot of options on the what if's. My doctor is always busy, very hard to get into, and blows most of what I say like it's no big deal. And that is one reason why I am worried. I donot want to feel like this everyday, Moody, deppressed and like you said very anxious and memory loss, My mind feels cloudy Not sure about the sex thing cause we haven't had sex in weeks. Although the desire not sure of yet.

I have a family and a life to live, and I want to live it feeling like a normal person.

I will talk to my doctor about how I feel and the possibility of hormone replacement. She did say something about BCP's a while back as a possible option if necessary. But I never did well with birth control when I did need to take it and could have more children. Now the option of more children is gone and that just seems like a real generic way of treatment and I amagine every woman is a little different going through this.

Do you know if it's normal to have loss of appetite? Thats for sure not normal for me. I just noticed that I have been barely able to eat for a while. Just no hunger really.
      Thanks again for the useful info. I will definitly look into it and I hope everything goes well with you! Much appreciated!

Comment

• It sucks being a woman, for sure...

And, anything that doesn't have "real answers" only "maybe" we worry, that's our nature, that creates stress, which can create non appetite.

Pheobe ( where have you been?), has given you great advise..

Most importantly, I would like to highlight this:-

I don't want to bug my doctor too much
        She / he probably she, cares about her profession or else wouldn't be talking to you about things that may help you.

Remember, that is what he/she is there for and you ask away 100 times if need be, so you know what's what and can feel better within yourself.

Without doing so, you feel down, you will cry, and that's useless, as you say, you have a life to live girl, go live it.

CW
        PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Hi, I had my right ovary removed on 6th January due to a dermoid cyst, when waqs your operation? Did you have open surgery? (laparotomy) or keyhole? I had open surgery and it is a major op. I felt VERY emotional and tearful for about 3 weeks post op, feelings I'd never had before and it was horrible. The general anaesthetic really takes it out of you, so I am sure that it contributed a lot to my 'blue' feelings. My remaining ovary has kicked in and I've had two periods since the surgery and started taking the contraceptive pill at the start of the second period. I feel fine now mostly and plan to go back to work on Monday.

So I think the main question is, how long ago was your operation?

Comment

• Today just another day of feeling really crappy. I had severe hot flashes all day and just couldn't stand even walking through the store for more than 5 minutes. I feel so sorry for my family especially my husband because I am just such an angry person now and very snappy. Easily bothered and annoyed. He keeps on asking me why I am so upset and I just say sorry over and over again. If anyone has any short term home remidies, teas, vitamins , I have even heard of maybe some kind of herbal hormone supplements, I will try anything that may help atleast until I go back to the doctors.

Comment

• Did they put you on the birth control because of hormone? Had open surgery and the whole right ovary and about half of the left one and both falopian tubes removed. The right needed to be removed due to a small tumor and had a 4cm dermoid on the left. I cannot have anymore children so no need to take the pill unless I need the hormone. My doc said that the part of my left ovary should keep me out of menopause and my period afloat but there is not evidence to show that it actually makes up for the hormone lost. So she was telling me that if necessary we can do the BCP's. But the BCP's ustu make me sick. Are you taking the BCP's for that reason? I really started to feel good for a couple days but the last like four or five days have been bad. I had surgery on the 2nd. So not that long ago maybe I just need to give it some time like you did. I was planning on going back to work at the end of next week part time but I still feel horrible. How long did it take to be able to really resume your normal activities? Everyone tells me something different so since you just went through this maybe you are the best person to ask. Let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.

Comment

• I'm taking the pill to prevent pregnancy, I'm 31 with no desire at the moment to have any children!

If you only had your surgery on the 2nd, then you are bound to still feel under the weather! I think you need to give it a bit more time, I was crying every day for at least the first 3 weeks!

I'm a lot better now, almost 6 weeks post op, but I'm still not 100%. My stomach is still a bit swollen and I get tired a lot more easily than normal. But gradually I'm returning to normal and I'm sure you will too

Comment

• Yah, I cannot have childeren any more but I have 2 kids, so the doctor would put me on them to regulate my periods and as a hormone replacement if necassary.

But its really nice to hear from someone about the same age as I that has gone through a similar surgery and your experience because in some ways I just don't if I should be alot better than I am or if I am rushing it and pushing myself too much. Because I still feel horrible alot of time wether it be from the sugery sight or the emotional part of it. Everyone tells me something different about where I should be at this point. So it's nice to hear from someone that actually has had it done and I feel much better in knowing that its just going to take some time and this is normal. I am still having some problems standing for longer than a couple minutes. Did you have the same issue. If you don't mind I would appreciate it if I could leave you a message if I have any other questions regarding the recovery being that you have just gone through this. Thank again, You been really helpful.

Comment

• recent hysterectomy/oophorectomy

I am 10 days post op, i felt great two days after the surgery, then three nights ago I began having night sweats, hot flashes, sleep ALL of the time, increased depression. Now, if I were not to take hormones, how long would this last? I plan on taking progestin I believe it will be, thought about the bioidentical drugs but looks complicated and costly and frankly I was out of whack anyway, so any suggestions on what life would be like without hormones?

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                    X