Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH discharge?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH discharge?

Hi all

I know there is another post (and probably more than that!) about high amounts of vaginal discharge, but everone's situation is a little different right?

The problem I'm highlighting here is simply that I'm getting tired of my seemingly endless flow of discharge. My underwear is soaked through within 20 minutes after getting out of the shower (and no, it's not water lol). I usually wear panty-liners so I don't have to change my underwear 12 times a day, but I hate that feeling of wearing a diaper. I've heard accounts of women discussing their discharge running down their legs; I am not having such an extreem case, however I have been dealing with this for a long time now.

I'm 20 years old, and without beating around the bush, I'm probably the biggest prude in the world . I've never had any sort of sexual activity other than a few failed attempts of masturbation, so I know this isn't anything sexually related 100%. The ONE sexual thing I will mention is that I am quite aroused a lot of the time, probably due to the fact I have so much sexual tension built up inside of me, but this doesn't explain the CONSTANT discharge, especially at times when sex is the last thing on my mind.

I eat really healthy, don't smoke or do drugs, and drink lots of water.

I am on Minovral contraceptives, but for the horrible cramps my mother passed down to me, not because I am sexually active haha. I have 63 day-cycles, meaning I only have my period once every 63 days, which makes it hard for me to keep track of how my discharge should be at which stage...

I am also on 3 small doses of anti-depressents that I began 4-5 months ago. I have been having anxiety and depression problems for seven years, so I would say that I am probably a lot more stressed out than the average person. For the past 5 months I have been experiencing some high levels of emotional stress, and I find myself constantly fatigued. In the past 2 months, I have gone from 150 to 135 pounds simply because I have been eating A LOT less, not because I am being physically active.

I have always been particularly wet down there. I remember even in grade 5 wearing panty-liners because of excess discharge, and not getting my period for the first time untill 2 years later. I know that there have been times when it hasn't been as much of an issue, but I'm getting so uncomfortable with the feeling of wetness down there. It also makes me feel uncomfortable because, being a very busy university student, and running around, the moisture, mixed with sweat/stress and whatever else can often cause an odor that I can notice and it is embarassing

It looks/smells like regular discharge, but it comes in copious amounts. Sometimes I will stand up after sitting a while and it will feel like that "pleasant" feeling experienced while on your period (though of course, it is not quite as extreme.) I've noticed that when I urinate, I pee out a lot of discharge, and I have to wipe more than I should because of excess discharge.

So a few questions I guess I have to ask-

a) do you think my stress/ emotional state/ medications/ or anything else I've mentioned be causing such a huge flow?

b) Is it normal, especially having experienced it for so long?

c)Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks all!

• a) do you think my stress/ emotional state/ medications/ or anything else I've mentioned be causing such a huge flow?

YES! All three combined may induce more secretions. Our bodily processes are greatly affected by how we feel, and what substance/s we introduce to it. It reacts differently, generally wanting to "purge itself" to make it "clean".

Also, your cycle is a bit different from what the norm is. I had that problem, too and sometimes it recurs. I do have such huge discharge if I am not having the normal flow schedule.

b) Is it normal, especially having experienced it for so long?

I am not sure if it is "normal" for you.

What I remember though is that my OB-GYN told me that there really are days that we discharge a lot more than any other days. When she saw me, I had this enormous discharge and she prescribed me a cream, some sort of suppository that you "inject" with a syringe. It is supposed to clear you up, it instead made my odor stong which I smell even if I am standing upright - I am embarrassed - I stopped the medication, and went 'eu naturale' - it cleared up on its own!

Does your discharge ALWAYS that way everyday - no fluctuations at all? If that's the case, then I believe, something is wrong.

c)Is there anything I can do about it?

When was the last time you've been checked by an OB-GYN? Could it be some thyroid gland issue? Could it be the side effect of your current medications?

Only you can answer this. Observe your body more, then see your doctors and discuss your issue with them. I am concerned about your anti-depressants - was your discharge of the same amount prior to taking it? How about the BC you're in?

Come back and tell us.

Take care...and see an OB-GYN.

Comment

• thank you so much for your help, and sorry I took so long to respond- I've been writing final exams all week and haven't had time for much else!

I'll look into my birth control pill to see if that is a side effect of my particular chosen cycle or pill (I used to be on Alesse, but my doctor changed me to Minovral about 4 months ago)- I made the concious choice to take 3 packs of 21 pills in a row as recommended by my gynecologists because I had such evily painful periods that nothing seemed to help, so I would only have my period 5-6 times a year. I was experiencing such terrible pain an nausea that I was missing way too much school, not a good thing to have in university.

I know that depending on which part of your cycle you are in, the flow changes- more during ovulation I believe, though I have no idea when I would ovulate in my cycle-as for how constant it is...For the last 4-5 months it's been fairly constant, with some fluctuations, but that is also the time I started on several anti-depressants. One of the worst side effects of the anti-depressants was the excess sweating- I could be doing nothing and my palms would be sweaty. I believe that the warm summer and the major onset of sweating didn't help my feeling of wetness down there, which also gives you a lovely odour (I know your pain ) I think half the time I couldn't tell if it was sweat or discharge, but I would assume sweat during warm months. I started having to wear light pads for the last 2 months- the only things that have changed in me last time is heightened stress and heightened libido haha

I don't have any bad odour, it's just the small smell I'm used to, the only exception is when I used to get really sweaty too, which I assume is natural...

It sounds like your gynecologist gave you some sort of thing similar to douching, which I hear is really bad for you, but at the same time, there could have been something wrong right? That's so unfortunate, I hope it's not affecting you anymore...

It's interesting that you mention thyroid issues because both my parents have to take medication for it and I've had a mix of other symptoms that somehow always lead back to the thyroid. I haven't had an appointment with my OB-GYN for...2-3 years now, so I'll look into that as well

thanks again!

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X