Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No period for 5 months....

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No period for 5 months....

Hi! I am 30 year old female in good health and have amenorrhea times 5 months. My doctor checked thyroid, pregnancy, and prolactin. All were normal. He prescribed me Prometrium 400mg per day for 7 days. I finished the pills a week ago and still have not bled. What does this mean? I understand that the prometrium is supposed to "jumpstart" my cycle. That didn't happen, so now I'm confused. I do not have any of the classic symptoms of PCO.

I have an ovarian ultrasound scheduled for next week and a followup with doc. I presume he will order more bloodwork, but curious if anyone here can tell me what logical next steps would be and any ideas why the prometrium didn't work.

Thanks!!

• Did you get your ultrasound yet?

Comment

• Great timing! I had my ultrasound today and doc said that my ovaries did have follicles but that my uterus lining is very, very thin. He said that this indicates a decreased estrogen level which would originate in the thalamus?!?!? So, he said I have hypothalamic amenorrhea. He ordered bloodwork for FSH, LHS, and estradiol. He said that based on those results he would either need to order a brain MRI or he said we may be looking at early menopause (I'm only 31). He also did order a fasting insulin.

I'm really confused and I don't know what to make of any of this.

Interestingly, the ultrasound tech said that I have some fluid behind the uterus which would indicate that I have ruptured a cyst. I asked the doc what that meant and he said that normally the fluid will be reabsorbed by the body.

Again, I can't make heads or tails of this. If anyone can help, please respond!!

Comment

• Wow! I don't blame you for feeling confused! That is certainly a lot to take in.

Well, there is still a lot to be done, it looks like. The tests you are waiting on will tell you a lot more.

I don't have a lot more advice about this other then to try not to stress about it too much. Maybe someone else here has been through this alread and knows more? We shall see I suppose.

I have a problem with my emotions and hormones being on a roller coaster. So I was put through all the thyroid and hormone testing too. Everything was normal for me at that time. I also did the fasting insulin tests which were just more annoying then anything. No eating for a certain amount of time and then testing your insulin level. I thought I would starve to death. Haha. Apparantly if you are diabetic, it can have similar effects to that of a thyroid or hormone problem. All my tests were normal so I am still dealing with everything. Go figure.

Sorry I can't be more help. Please let us know what you find out and what happens so maybe it will help someone else too. Good luck with everything!!

Comment

• I believe I have ammenorrhea also

Hello,

Im 26 and had my fourth child 3 1/2 months ago. Due to a severe infection caused by the placenta not completely removed I had to have a D&C. ( scraping the lining of the uterus). Since then I have had menstrual cramps but still no period. I recently came accross the topic of ammenorhea. It can occure in scaring of the uterine wall, low estrogine levels, disfunction of the ovaries, rapid weight loss or gain and hormonal immbalances.

I was looking for a herbal remedie to induce my period I read that taking b6 and b12 zinc and/or fennel will help in resuming pensrual bleeding.

I have not yet seen a gynocologist about the condition yet,

will check in to see the update of your condition.

Jill

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X