Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem after having a hysterectomy gaining weight not loosing weight

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem after having a hysterectomy gaining weight not loosing weight

Hi my name is Jill I had a hysterectomy done on August 3 2009 my OBGYN remove everything because I was having so many problem with my period for the last 7 years server cramps gas and bloating. I was fine for for the last 7 month. Now I'm starting to have all of the gas and bloating all over again. Before my surgery I weighted 142 I was hoping to loose weight from my surgery not gain weight now my weight is at 153. All of the gas and bloating and the server stomach pain in up around in the area where my gallbladder is. I had every test done out there and the ruled out that it is not my gallbladder or my appendix. Has this happen to any one before. Also was tested don't have celiac disease.  I had a cousin that went through the same thing had a hysterectomy end up finding out that it was her gallbladder all along.  Could it be that I have the same problem. Any feed back would be great. Thanks Allot Jill

• best weight loose tips:
    Never give up, even after you have failed a few times. When you fail, start over. Watch
    those TV programs like “The Biggest Loser” or “Celebrity Fit Club”, because they are great motivators.
    Rewards! New clothes make awesome rewards for weight loss. Going out with friends (but not for anything food related) is a great reward.
    Weigh yourself but also take your measurements. Sometimes your scale won’t budge but your waistline will.
    Get enough sleep – that’s the first and most important step. Without sleep, it’s harder to plan your meals, to exercise, or to consciously eat healthy.
    Tell others your goals. Not only will you then have someone else also expecting you to
    perform but you’ll gain a cheering section!

Comment

• When a womans ovaries are removed during a hysterectomy (a complete hysterectomy), your body is instantly pushed into menopause. The ovaries produce estrogen, progesterone, and androstenedione and when they are removed the levels of these hormones drop dramatically and the effects and changes on a woman's body can be varied. Weight gain is in most cases one of them.

Abdominal weight gain is believed to be tied to an excess of androgens, and a decrease in estrogen. Men tend to gain weight in their waists rather than in their hips or thighs, where women more commonly gain weight. Decreased levels of estrogen can lead to a similar effect in women. Androgens are the "male hormones" that are normally present in a woman's body. Menopause or a hysterectomy can skew the balance of these androgens against estrogen. Other elements that may be at work are a slowed metabolism, and water retention.

As mentioned above - keeping an eye on your diet and exercise can all help in keeping your weight down, and generally looking after yourself. If you feel that you are gaining too much weight, especially if you are looking after yourself, your doctor may be able to prescribe you hormonal medication to balance out your hormones.
      "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - Chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO-HOO what a ride!!"
      "I dream about being with you forever." - Twilight

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X