Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

really confused!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really confused!!!

Ok, so I am the 40 yo w/no periods for over a year until last month. Went for another round of blood tests which indicated still in menopause, then had the unltrasound, then an endometrial biopsy. I just heard from the doctor and even though my bllod works showed I am still menopausal, the endometrium showed I am not! I am scheduled for my annual in two weeks so will get more detail then (I hope!), has anyone ever heard of this before? What other conditions would cause the lack of periods and conflicting biopsy & blood test results?

• The reason they do endometrial biopsies if you haven't had a period for over a year (which usually means you're post-menopausal), is to check for endometrial cancer. I'd talk with your doctor to better understand the results of your biopsy to make sure there was nothing to indicate cancer....

Comment

• really confused!!

I spoke to him earlier and he said they did not find any cancerous cells in my biospsy. I am really stumped as to why the blood test would idicate 1 thing but the biopsy indicate the opposite. I have had my thyroid levels checked as well and they cam back normal, I am hoping the results did not produce a "false negative" for the cancer cells.

Comment

• You have to remember that the tests aren't 100% reliable, in fact many have high rates of false results.
        When you come down to it, as long as you are healthy, what does any of this really mean for you?

Comment

• My aunt had the same thing happen, then my Mom it was three years before they said her body was in full menopause. She said it was the worst roller coaster she'd ever been on. She said that it was as if her body couldn't make up its mind. The best thing that helped her was talking with her Doctors, and with friends that had gone through some sort of menopause. At the end of the three years she found a lump in her breast which went away on its own. She was mentally, physically, and emotionally drained. All she told my Mom was hang in there talk to the Doc's regularly, and call girlfriends or her if you need someone to talk to. Being a woman is harder than people think. Hang in there and talk with your Doc's. Sorry that this is all the advice I can give you.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X