Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first trip to the gyno!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first trip to the gyno!

I had my first annual exam today and I just wanted to write something informative for all the young girls who are on the forums. In case you don't know, I'm 19.
    I'm sexually active and I decided it was time for birth control, so even though I was afraid, I needed to go!
    The nurse and doctor were both very nice to me. They talked to me about self-breast exams, different types of OTC birth control, and the different tests/examinations they were going to do.
    The doctor showed me how to perform a breast exam. That was sort of uncomfortable emotionally because, well, those are my boobs O.o I can't see what you're doing underneath that sheet, but I can see what you're doing to my boobs and it's just strange. Haha.
    The speculum (metal thing they put inside you so they can see in) didn't hurt very much, but it was uncomfortable. Lots of deep breaths. I barely felt the swab for the Pap smear.
    My doctor gave me a gonorrhea test because it's fairly routine for girls my age; you can have it and have no idea you do, so it's a good idea to get, but you don't have to. That's another swab I barely felt.
    Then she felt the shape/size of my uterus and I have to admit this was VERY uncomfortable. It's a manual exam, meaning that the doctor puts her fingers in your vagina and her hand on the outside of your lower stomach to feel. As I've mentioned in other posts, my vagina is on the small side and two fingers hurts. It didn't take long at all, so I guess it wasn't so bad.
    After the exam, I talked to the doctor about birth control and Gardasil, the HPV vaccine. I chose not to get the vaccine, but I'm going to read about it. I got a 2-month sample of Yaz. I've seen some bad posts about it in the birth control forums, but I'll let you know how it goes for me. I like to keep an open mind.
    Also, the doctor said you don't have to have a Pap smear until 3 years after you become sexually active or age 21. However, I had a regular doctor that I saw for an illness tell me that a Pap smear is necessary as soon as you become sexually active. I figure better safe than sorry.
    I hope that if you're thinking of going to a gyno for the first time this helps you
    <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

• Question

I am going for my first exam and I am 20 years old. I have been sexually active with only one guy for 3 years now. My parents are very strict and dont know I have been having sex. I am scared that my gynecologist will ask if I am and I want to tell the truth but I am scared that if I do she will want to put me on birth control and my parents will find out. What should I do???

Comment

• Your gyno can't tell your parents ANYTHING! It's part of doctor-patient confidentiality. Also, your doctor can't "put" you on BC like she could "put" you on a prescription for a disease. BC is COMPLETELY optional. As long as you have a method of BC, like condoms, that you use regularly, it will be easy for you to say you don't want pills/patch/whatever. ABSOLUTELY tell her that you are sexually active, since you are!
      If you're in college and have a dorm address, you don't even have to put your parents' address on there. The only way they could find out you even went is if there is a problem with the insurance paying the bill. Make SURE you pay your co-payment while you're there!
      And if your parents find out you went to the gyno, just tell them you want to be responsible about your health and wanted to make sure you don't have any potential problems (like tilted uterus, etc) that could be resolved.
      I got a letter from my gyno about a week after saying that my Pap smear was normal, so definitely give them an alternate address just to be sure.
      <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X