Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diving with period

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diving with period

I have just started my diving season about a week ago and I got my period for the first time several days ago. I am starting to just use tampons so I can dive with them and I am worried about wearing tampons while diving. I mostly do 3 meter and 1 meter and I don't know if jumping into the water will push the tampon up and get stuck or if it will absorb the water. Please somebody answer because I have diving tomorow

• I have been swimming while using a tampon up to 10 ft deep. ( not sure about the conversion to meters) I have never had any problem. Your vaginal muscles hold your tampon in place so I seriously doubt you need to worry about it coming out and floating to the top. Just be sure that it is inserted in there properly and you should be just fine. Have fun diving!!!!!!

Comment

• When you say Diving are you talking Scuba Diving or Diving off a Board ?
      3 meters is about 33 feet, and one meter is 10 feet, so I am assuming Scuba Diving ?

I did notice a Post from 2 years ago .

07-23-2011 03:53 AM #1
      anonimousey
      Diving and swimming while on period and using tampons
      Hi guys, so I'm starting a diving course soon and I'll be in water for hours at a time. I'm just wondering how swimming while wearing a tampon works. I mean wont the tampon just get full of water, so there wont be any room for blood? And because ill be in the water, should I use a tampon a few sizes up than normal?

This will be the first time ive used a tampon, the diving starts in a few weeks, so I'm practicing using them on my current period. My doctor has given me the contraceptive pill, she says that it will lighten my period, and hopefully stop it, but I'm still apprehensive about whats going to happen when I get in the water.

All replies appreciated.
      Did you ever get the hang of the Tampon? And get to Dive ?
      Or are you starting the Diving Course again ?

I researched and Found an actual Scuba Site the Posters there have been through it themselves and seem to give Great Advise .

Like this post :
      ~As far as diving with your “monthly visitor”...we girls don’t usually let this get in our way with the other activities in our lives, nor should it in the scuba realm. There are, of course, issues concerning hygiene, privacy and convenience, but if you can manage those, you can continue diving during this time, with a few considerations.

First, if your flow is extremely heavy, which is a consideration for women as we age, you want to be cautious about any superimposed anemia that could potentially limit the delivery of oxygen and impair your circulation. Light headed underwater...not so good.

A study found that 93% of active female divers continue to dive while menstruating, 71% have PMS symptoms and of those, up to 48% perceive a decrease in performance due to menstruation. Their self-perception was that they felt colder, had impaired reaction times, experienced more anxiety and felt more susceptible to nitrogen narcosis. If you’re experiencing severe cramps, headaches or other symptoms due to your period...you should obviously skip the dives until you feel top notch again.

As far as DCI,( decompression illness ) menstruation is not a contraindication to diving. In one recent study of 956 female divers experiencing DCI, 38% of those were menstruating at the time of their injury. Interestingly, 85% of those taking oral contraceptives were menstruating at the time of their accident. This suggests, but does not prove, that women taking oral contraceptives may be at increased risk of DCI during menstruation.

In all...diving a bit more conservatively during your period may be wiser...but skipping a dive due to your period??? If you feel great...go visit the fish!~

We very well may have some other " Divers " here that can add to this. I have only Scuba'd twice ( years ago ) can't remember if I was on my Monthly or not . Snorkeled many times.. You can go 1 meter plus depending on the time you can hold your breath.

Find a tampon that " Flares " like a Flower or the Teen/ Sport one I mentioned a couple of years ago. I remember posting a Direct " How to Insert a Tampon" post, just can't find it .. lol
      But I believe it was to someone like you that was using the wrong sized Tampon and had issues with it .. And it was fixed .

I hope you and others can understand Tampons. I can never use them myself,Tilted Uterus issue. But I'm closing on 60 so not a big thing with me .

Find one that works for you Out of Water,then it should be working as well in water . If you can think of a Tampon as a "Drain Plug" that stops flow, just like in your sink. You will understand that until you pull that plug,everything in that sink will stay in the sink.

It is not good to let the water and stuff stay in the sink for hours and hours.So every few hours you unplug and clean and put in a new or Re~plug . Not only with Tampons .. Just the philosophy ..lol.

Wearing a Pad will be like wearing a Diaper.
      Get in water it will swell and be uncomfortable.
      So I advise to Join a Site that has to do with Experienced Divers and of Course let us here know what works for you and share your Knowledge.

Comment

• One of my pals here in the UK used a menstrual cup whilst diving and had no problems.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Epilady?!?

Oh man... I have something like this — but I don't really use the epilation part of it anymore. It's an electric shaver (which I DO use) that has an...

Today, 05:16 PM By Alison H.
        • Reply to Ex boyfriend dilemma

It's almost impossible to know how your baby will look like.

Today, 02:15 PM By ferahunt
        • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

never wanted to get married let alone have kids
          also, have health issues that would make caring for an infant difficult

after being...

Today, 10:12 AM By amy40
        • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

I'm also childfree by choice. I never felt the desire to have kids. I also have some other health issues that would make pregnancy and care for an infant...

Today, 05:11 AM By Laura V.
        • Reply to Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating?

Totaly agreed...

Yesterday, 01:28 PM By Louna11

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• stabbing pain

started have stabbing pain in vulva area
          looked it up & says vulvodynia
          however, I have had this stabbing pain in one leg & side,...

09-19-2021, 10:09 AM By amy40
        • Epilady?!?

I was cleaning out an old trunk from my teen years and came upon the medieval torture implement, the epilady. For the uninitiated, it’s a device that...

09-16-2021, 11:32 PM By Wednesday L.F.
        • Phonesex, anyone?

In my 20s, I worked as a phonesex girl. It was fun and all, but it led me to not want to engage in that sort of activity in my personal life. Fast forward...

09-16-2021, 11:28 PM By Wednesday L.F.
        • Skyla IUD Sudden Period Problems

I’ve had my Skyla IUD for 2 and a half years now, no complications except for hormonal acne that’s managed well. It’s due to expire next May. My...

09-06-2021, 02:21 PM By LuckyWitch77
        Working...
        X