Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I get a second opinion?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a second opinion?

Hi! I'm new here. I have questions about some weird things going on with my lady parts and the gynecologist I saw. I'll start with the issues:

-First of all, I'm 19, and about 5 years ago, I had an ovarian cyst that caused me pain. It was described as walnut-sized. I have been on birth control ever since. Recently, the pain has returned.
    -For the past six or seven months, I've been having some really thick (sticky!), white discharge. I've had this for my whole life, but in that time period, it has changed. It never used to be so thick and sometimes it is watery, which I've never had. Also, the frequency has changed: in the past, it's only came mid-cycle, but now it comes every single day and in massive amounts. Sometimes I need to wear pantiliners which will obviously cause a yeast infection, but I usually forego them and just go to the bathroom and wipe when I feel it.
    -I started having sex with my boyfriend four months ago. Nearly every single time, it hurts a lot (inside) and I bleed. The blood is like my period's flow and it continues for an entire day after, and I usually go through a pad or two. We've figured out that the pain and bleeding isn't from lack of lubrication or being too rough. Also, after the bleeding stops, the discharge

I decided to see a gynecologist about the bleeding and discharge. The first time I went, the doc said that it was most likely just a yeast infection. She tried to do a pelvic exam but I was nervous since it was my first one, and my vagina clammed up. so instead, she took a urine sample and said there was some sort of infection. I took two rounds of antibiotics (one oral, one that I inserted), and since I was still having massive amounts of discharge and the pelvic pain was still returning every few days, I went back.

On the next visit, the same doc did manage to do a pelvic exam. As soon as she tried to take a swab, I started bleeding a lot. She had to clear the blood out of the way to see properly. She noted that it was coming out in clots, which was strange since she had hardly touched my cervix. She tested for an infection and also did another test (she didn't specify what it was or what she was testing for) and told me that she'd call by the end of the week. She had an ultrasound done too, a transvaginal one and an external one. She said the results looked normal, though the ultrasound lady couldn't manage to find my right ovary.

My appointment was on Monday. When I hadn't received a call until Friday, I called near the end of the day and talked to a nurse. She said the gynecologist was out of office. She took a look at the test results and said things looked normal. The doctor said that if that was a case, everything was probably from a pH imbalance. I want to call Monday and see what I can do about that, yet I'm considering getting a second opinion instead. Is that a good idea? (sorry for the lengthiness of my first post!)
    Last edited by kimbo221; 07-28-2013, 09:04 AM.

• It sounds like you have Bacterial Vaginosis, which would explain the pH-related infection. It's like the opposite of a yeast infection. Unless it were very severe, it shouldn't cause all that blood and pain, though. Hopefully your doctor will have more to say when she is back in office. Ask for all the particulars, and maybe also your medical records. Make plain that you want all the facts! I have known doctors to withhold potentially alarming information so their patients don't "freak out" over things that can't be helped.

Honestly there are a lot of doctors out there who aren't interested in finding sources or cures for problems when they're unusual or hard to puzzle out. If your doctor's answers and treatment don't work for you, choose your second opinion carefully. I don't suggest completely abandoning Doc #1 without getting all the info you can out of her.
    <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• Thanks for the answer! I want to call so I don't have to pay for another appointment just to talk, yet I still have a lot of questions. She did treat me for BV with metrogel and another test for it came back negative.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Epilady?!?

Oh man... I have something like this — but I don't really use the epilation part of it anymore. It's an electric shaver (which I DO use) that has an...

Today, 05:16 PM By Alison H.
      • Reply to Ex boyfriend dilemma

It's almost impossible to know how your baby will look like.

Today, 02:15 PM By ferahunt
      • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

never wanted to get married let alone have kids
        also, have health issues that would make caring for an infant difficult

after being...

Today, 10:12 AM By amy40
      • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

I'm also childfree by choice. I never felt the desire to have kids. I also have some other health issues that would make pregnancy and care for an infant...

Today, 05:11 AM By Laura V.
      • Reply to Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating?

Totaly agreed...

Yesterday, 01:28 PM By Louna11

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• stabbing pain

started have stabbing pain in vulva area
        looked it up & says vulvodynia
        however, I have had this stabbing pain in one leg & side,...

09-19-2021, 10:09 AM By amy40
      • Epilady?!?

I was cleaning out an old trunk from my teen years and came upon the medieval torture implement, the epilady. For the uninitiated, it’s a device that...

09-16-2021, 11:32 PM By Wednesday L.F.
      • Phonesex, anyone?

In my 20s, I worked as a phonesex girl. It was fun and all, but it led me to not want to engage in that sort of activity in my personal life. Fast forward...

09-16-2021, 11:28 PM By Wednesday L.F.
      • Skyla IUD Sudden Period Problems

I’ve had my Skyla IUD for 2 and a half years now, no complications except for hormonal acne that’s managed well. It’s due to expire next May. My...

09-06-2021, 02:21 PM By LuckyWitch77
      Working...
      X