Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bleeding on birth control pill

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding on birth control pill

So here's my problem.

I'm on a birth control pill, and for the past 3 days I've forgotten to take it. I take it at 9pm each day, and tonight I have remembered to take it. This afternoon I noticed I was lightly bleeding, yet according to my period tracker app on my phone (which is accurate), I'm not due my period for another 16 days. According to the calendar, I am in my 'fertile' week and I am supposed to ovulate on the 13th. I usually stop taking my pill on a Tuesday to have my period and my period usually starts early Saturday (so for about 3 days of not taking my pill, i begin to bleed)

I also had unprotected sex on the Monday, the second day in my fertile week, and my fiancé did ejaculate inside of me, but I know it would be too early to be implantation bleeding/spotting (from what I've read, you would get that 2 weeks after conceiving).

Is the bleeding because I haven't taken my pill for 3 days, or is it because I'm due to ovulate soon? As I cannot see it being implantation bleeding, even though I've been nauseated and had headaches recently. If I carry on not taking my pill up until after I am supposed to be ovulating, would I actually ovulate and perhaps a chance of me getting pregnant?

• Correction, sorry; The Sunday night was when I forgot to take my pill, but I took it on the Monday night, but then forgot to take it again on the Tuesday night (yesterday) but took it tonight.

Comment

• Still kinda worried as I'm still bleeding today But it's very light and I took my pill last night, as I said. Why am I bleeding?

Comment

• If you stop your pills before the end of the pack (which s effectively what you did), you can get a withdrawal bleed. Starti ng the pill back can lead to further pill irregularities.

Check the insert that comes with your pills. It probably has a section telling you what to do if you miss 1 pill, 2 pills, more than 2 pills, etc. The insert may tell you to throw the pack away and start a brand new pack--you may have irregular bleeding for a while.

I'm sorry to say this, but it sounds like you had already missed a pill when you had sex? It's possible you are at increased chances for pregnancy since that's when you missed three pills.

Comment

• Once you stop and then get back on, your cycle gets out of whack. If you miss one day of the pill, it becomes ineffective as well, so I would take a pregnancy test as well because you might be pregnant.

Comment

• Since birth control pills stop ovulation missing one pill does not make them ineffective. I used to purposely miss 1 pill a week on yasmin so that every other month I could take the saved pills and skip my period. There is no egg to implant. Missing 3 pills doesn't even make them ineffective. It just causes you to have your period. When on pills you are not having real periods. You are having withdrawal bleeding from not taking the pill. It's not even actually necessary which is why I'm on seasonique that only has 3 periods a year. Unless this is your first pack and you did not start it with your last period you should not have a chance of pregnancy because like I said no egg was released so no egg can be fertilized. You don't have a fertile period on pills. Your ovaries are not doing anything. It's all the hormones in the pills and if your pills are all the same except the last week then there is no change in hormones to even simulate a fertile period. If you take an ovulation test it will never show positive unless your bcp doesn't work for you.

Since you missed so many the instructions will probably tell you to go ahead and have your period now and start a new pack at the end of it but you should check your instructions or call a doctor or pharmacist if you didn't keep them.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• The Submissive Husband & Dominant Wife Dynamic — Let's Talk About BDSM!

When we think of “submissive” husbands, we might envision some quiet, meek guy who is excessively subservient to his wife.

But the truth...

Today, 06:09 PM By Gena G.
            • Reply to How do I know? Menopause.

My gyne said you're in menopause when you haven't had a period for a full year. Being on birth control regulates your period and your hormones so it's...

Today, 02:15 PM By Julia W.
            • Reply to Butt Eating

Ah, butt play. Hmmm...it's not my go to area to be honest. No particular reason and I applaud those who enjoy it but I'm pretty indifferent. However,...

Yesterday, 04:05 PM By Vanessa R.
            • Reply to Butt Eating

I have a story from my days running a bar that might help with your question... It was late one night, almost closing time, when my best friend/head...

05-05-2021, 09:01 PM By TJ T.
            • Reply to Do You Think Pretty Privilege Is A Real Thing? If So, How?

I remember when that happened. It annoyed me to say the least, her reaction to “how the other half” must live — as though it didn’t exist until...

05-04-2021, 10:19 AM By Alison H.

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X