Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there really a cure? HPV news

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there really a cure? HPV news

i saw this on another forum's posting, does anyone know anything more? this is the most promising news i have read, the last 3 paragraphs especially, but i dont want to get my hopes up:

HPV VACCINE UPDATES
    New efficacy data and FDA submissions highlighted; Therapeutic vaccine trials Down Under
    Interim data from a Phase III clinical trial with more than 18,000 women from around the world showed GlaxoSmithKline's (GSK) candidate HPV vaccine, Cervarix(r), was 100% effective in preventing significant cervical precancers (CIN 2 or higher) related to HPV types 16 and 18, and also offered partial protection against three other "high risk" HPV type infections individually, and all high risk type infections collectively.

HPV types 16/18, respectively, are found with about 70% of cervical cancers. Primary analysis of the interim data from this study found that Cervarix was 90% effective in blocking precancerous cervical lesions co-infected with HPV 16/18. However, most of the lesions also unexpectedly contained other "high risk" HPV types, leading the investigators to conduct another analysis to determine which HPV types actually caused the lesions.

With this additional analysis, which involved confirming presence of the virus both in the lesions and in previous Pap test samples (i.e. determining persistent infection history), the vaccine proved 100% effective in preventing HPV16/18 related cervical precancers.

The study, which was published in the June 30th issue of The Lancet (Paavonen et al. 369:2161-2170), also contained data that indicate the vaccine offers cross-protection at 38% efficacy against persistent infections lasting twelve months caused by all high-risk HPV types collectively.

GSK submitted Cervarix for review to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in the spring, with a decision (approval is expected) likely to come in early 2008. In May, regulators in Australia approved the vaccine for the prevention of cervical pre-cancers and cancers in women ages 10-45 years; In July, the regulators in the EU have also have provided a positive recommendation for approval in women ages 10-45 years. Studies suggest the vaccine may be effective in older women: Data presented at the 2007 American Society of Clinical Oncologists Annual Meeting in June indicate Cervarix induces a strong immune response in women up to age 55 (Schwarz et al., Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2007 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings Part 1. 25:18S).

Another HPV/cervical cancer vaccine, Merck's Gardsil(r), was approved in the U.S. in 2006. Merck recently submitted a supplemental application to the FDA to expand the labeling for Gardasil(r) to include the prevention of vaginal and vulvar cancers. The vaccine is currently approved for the prevention of cervical cancers and precancers, in addition to vulvar and vaginal pre-cancers, related to two "high risk" HPV types (HPV 16 and 18). Gardasil is also licensed for the prevention of genital warts associated with "low risk" HPV types 6 and 11. In clinical trials, Gardasil prevented virtually all persistent infections and diseases related to the four HPV types covered by the vaccine.

Early Trials Show Therapeutic HPV Vaccine is Safe

An experimental HPV vaccine designed to treat genital warts has shown to be safe midway through clinical trials in Australia, according to the trial manager.

The vaccine, currently being studied by researchers at Queensland University in Brisbane, utilizes technology similar to that found in prophylactic HPV vaccines that seek to protect against HPV infection by stimulating an immune response against to virus much higher that what occurs as the result of natural infection. The Australian vaccine is therapeutic, however, in that it's designed to treat existing cases of external genital warts rather than protect against new HPV infections. Pilot studies done by QU's research partner, Wenzhou Medical College in China, showed the vaccine has potential in treating genital warts in humans.

A press release on QU's site says more than 200 subjects have participated in trials for the vaccine. Trial manager Dr. David Jardine told HPV News "The primary aim of this phase 1B trial are safety and tolerability, which has been shown to date in the trial with no serious adverse events reported in Australia or China at the halfway mark." Dr. Jardine says the trial is slated to continue through April 2008, with investigators now focusing on the effectiveness of the vaccine.

• There are a zillion different strains of HPV - some cause cancer - some don't. Sometimes, your body can rid itself of the virus, and sometimes not.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Comment

• To Delta regarding hpv

Dear Delta,

Are you still out there? I know that you wrote on this in 2008. It is 2009, but when I read your post, I wanted to contact you to talk to you about this. I have heard so many conflicting thoughts on a healthy body immune system getting rid of the virus as well as the infection. I also I heard it takes up to two years. Some say that the virus will always be in the body even if your pap smear is normal and the symptoms are gone. Some say that the body cannot kill off a virus. If what you say, then this really gives hope to all women who are suffering through this. What sources did you get your information? Do you feel like you can trust what you read? I hope that you are still out there. Well, hopefully I will talk to you later.

Thanks

wantasecondchance

Comment

• Doing some recent reading AND what my OB has told me, sometimes HPV does go away on it's own. It depends on the strand you have contracted.

Comment

• Thank you so much for your advice. I am going to the doctor Wednesday for him to test for which strain. This is the second doctor that I have been to. The first one took so long to report to me my test results, and when her office finally contacted me the first time, someone from that office told me I was fine which was in Jan. 2009. I was tested in Dec. 2008. Then I received a letter in the mail from her office telling me I had HPV and to do another pap smear in 4 to 6 months. A pamphlet was inserted with the letter. In your research, did you find out that depending on what strain a woman has the virus HPV and the infection goes a way completely and in your research did it indicate that the HPV and infections could recur.

Sincerely,

wantasecondchance

Comment

• I don't know what strand can go away, if it's more than one strand, just that one single strand...I really don't know. I just know that it's possible. But HPV can vary from a few abnormal cells that dissappear to full blown cervical cancer.

I recently tested positive for HPV (last week) and I am pregnant. My dr said it could go away and he would just watch my paps closely over time. Also there's a high chance of false positives in pregnancy. Seeing as there's nothing I can do for it but watch, and I have no symptoms, it's not something consuming my thoughts.

Good luck to you on wednesday.

Comment

• update on my son who I thought I infected

The doctor examined my son today, and she said he is okay. What is on my son are moles. She said the same thing too about contact between the genitals. That is the way the majority of people get infected. I believe though if one of those warts appear on any other part of the body and uninfected person touches that wart then she/he could become infected.

I have to cancel this Wednesday appointment because I am still on my period. He wants me to be completely clear so that he can get an accurate reading. I will keep you updated. Thank you for your support, and I will keep you also in my prayers. Congratulations on your little miracle inside of you.

Comment

• Hey! I'm here & I got my info from my gyno. I'm glad your son is ok & keep us updated about you after your appt. Take care.
                What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Comment

• It's a virus and needs to replicate in your cells, it can't do it on it's own. Cut out chocolate and nuts which contain an amino acid that facilitates the virus reproduction (otherwise its good for you- just not in this case) and start taking L-lysine, which helps inhibit the virus reproduction. I know this works for shingles which a form of herpes virus (there are a bunch).

Do you research and watch your diet. I am over 50 and at some times in my life was pretty sexually active, back when we didn't worry about STIs. I don't have HPV. I think diet has a lot to do with it. Over the years I was a vegetarian for a number of years and have had to maintain a diet eliminating high allergy foods, several times. I've 'cured' exzema (supposedly not possible) and while statistically I should probably have several varients of HPV, I don't have any. I eliminated; corn, wheat, eggs, dairy, sugar (refined), and chocolate for as long as a year. Personally I think sugar has a lot to do with these skin conditions. By eliminating sugar I don't mean using sugar substitutes - that stuff is dangerous, it was developed as a part of WWII chemical weapons research! You can use stevia if you have to have the sweetness but if you remove sugar and sweeteners from your diet for 4 or 5 days you will lose your taste for it.

Also look at your chemical exposure. Do a search on Dangerous chemicals in cosmetics - you will be shocked! The average woman's body absorbs about 5 pounds of toxic chemicals a year from products she puts on her body. These lower your immune response and create a host of reactions. See if you can get a copy of, If You Love Me Don't Feed Me Junk by Sandy Gooch. It's a great little book and the author's story may ring a bell for you. Chemical sensitivites nearly killed her, some of her experiences may sound familiar to you. She survived and went on to found a chain of health food stores to help others get clean foods.

A large part of the illnesses we suffer are a result of poor diet, stress and exposure to toxins. Those of us who are more sensitive than the general population suffer more or more rapidly. You can greatly reduce your exposure and improve your health but it is an ongoing process and does involve some lifestyle changes. It's more than worth it for your improved health and well being!

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                  X