Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glad to see I'm not alone!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad to see I'm not alone!

For a year or two now I've been feeling like I was the only one going through this problem but now after reading some of your posts, I'm relieved to see other's are suffering from similar issues as me.

Around two years ago, I went from having a completely regular period to an out of whack one.

I spot for a week, then get my period for a week. I have a day where I'm ridiculously heavy and get really bad cramps and then I'm normal for the next week.

If my husband and I are intimate, then I'll start bleeding and this will last anywhere from two days to a week.

It's so frustrating and the doctors can't seem to find a solution for me.

• Hello and welcome! We are glad to have you here.

If you have had full exams by your gynecologist and everything is in the clear, then you are probably just having common irregular periods. Unfortunately, a lot of women go through this at some time in their lives. It may stay for a very long time, it can come and go, or it might become regular and never act up again. There is just no way of knowing.

However, if it's a really big inconvenience or annoyance for you, many women take birth control to help regulate their periods. I don't like to recommend birth control unless it's really necessary, but I wanted you to know that it's an option. It may take some trial and error finding a birth control that is just right for you so keep that in mind.

If your period become more unstable, I would just be sure to get regular check ups to be on the safe side.

Comment

• Is it abnormal to have heavy clots/tissue?? Not sure what to call it exactly.

Comment

• In most cases, yes it is normal. I have that just about every period near the first couple of days. I bleed VERY heavy with almost black blood that is thick and looks like clumps of tissue. It is normal. Having your period is not just bleeding. You are actually shedding the lining of your uterus. That lining is basicly a layer of tissue and blood vessels. Some women have thick linings and some have thin. The thickness and texture of our lining will go through natural changes as time passes. If the doctors do not see any problems, then you are just experiencing normal changes in your cycles.

Mine started out light with no tissue and bright red blood. As time passed, they became very heavy and thick with unbearable cramping for the first few days and then easing up into the remaining days. That is what I am dealing with now and some times I cannot function because of the cramping. Let's just say that I am a HUGE fan of Advil!

For the thick tissue and heavy bleeding, I recommend using only pads and not tampons during the time when you bleed the most. Pads will allow the tissue to leave your body faster. Tampons only absorb liquid and therfor will leave the thick tissue behind.

Comment

• Well I just got back from seeing my doctor. We're going to try putting me back on birth control for a few months and if that doesn't work then we'll redo all the bloodwork and tests.

Comment

• Glad to hear you have a plan. Just remember to be patient and give the BC time to work. It may take some time for your cycles to regulate. Also, if a few months go by and there is no improvement or things are worse, you might try a different birth control.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X