Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annual menstrual cycle

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual menstrual cycle

I am 49 years old. I move had 2 cesareans and have 2 children. My body seemed to enter the peri-menopausal stage around age 42-44. My bloodwork continues to read that I’m not according to PCP. I stopped having periods about 4-5 years ago except once per year. It is always late January or in February.
    Is there any reasonable explanation why for each of the last 4 or 5 years, I go thru a very light cycle. It is not spotting. In fact, I have cramps and everything but only every 12 months or so. Very curious. PCP says “huh. Don’t worry about it”. I’m not worried but I find it perplexing. TIA

• Are you using any type of birth control? Have you spoken with your gynecologist about this, rather than your primary care provider?

Comment

• Maybe it's just a sign that menopause is coming soon. It doesn't seem to bother you very much. I know you have to worry when it is abundant, but your case is special. Have you tried a second professional opinion ?

Comment

• Maybe it is related to the period products (pads, tampons, period underwear or menstrual cups) that you use when you have your period ?
        Last edited by jns; 01-31-2021, 01:40 PM. Reason: Advertising and outbound links are not allowed.

Comment

• I tend to not put a lot of stock into bloodwork, at least where hormones are concerned – I really believe (because I have seen it and had it happen to me) that just because something comes back in a "normal" range, it doesn't mean that everything is normal.

For a while, my bloodwork came back saying that I was not entering menopause (tell that to my hot flashes and raging moods!) and it was incredibly frustrating. I don't have periods since I had a hysterectomy many years ago, but I have my ovaries and they started petering out. I knew it, I could tell; I know my body. It wasn't a figment of my imagination, but my bloodwork came back in "normal" ranges.

(That said, one look at the graph of my past blood work and it was clear that my FSH had a really big spike. Imagine that.)

Sometimes I think we need to rely more on what we feel, rather than what our bloodwork says. My thyroid doctor says the same thing to me all the time – your levels can look "fine" on the surface, but your body is going through something and you'll still feel those effects, even if your bloodwork says you're normal. From what you describe, it really sounds like menopause, or at least perimenopause.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• Calling All Squirters!

Hey, folks!

I know there's a thread or two about the topic of squirting but I wanted to create a newer thread on the subject. I'm writing...

Yesterday, 04:20 PM By Vanessa R.
          • Mechanical Problem With Vaginal Rear Entry

My wife and I have been married for 35 years, have good orgasmic sex a couple of times a week. Absolutely no complaints!

I'd like to have...

03-01-2021, 03:04 AM By Kahala
          • Would You Date (Or Have You Dated) a Disabled Person?

So, I'm someone who's pretty much an open book when it comes to having chronic illnesses/being disabled, since it impacts so much of my life. I try to...

02-26-2021, 10:33 AM By Emily D.
          • Urine Kink?

OK, I (straight woman) am a little shy about sharing this because I know it will put some people off, but I still hope those people will hear me out....

02-13-2021, 10:01 AM By FeelingWeird
          • Vagina Needs Some TLC

LADIES help!!!! I’m going in circles trying to self-diagnose! So... 2 years ago I got tested for BV and it came back positive. All good (absolutely...

02-11-2021, 02:03 AM By cmaria
          Working...
          X