Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Egg Donation

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg Donation

Have you ever donated eggs through a fertility clinic? I know that it's a pretty lengthy process and there is much to consider about egg donation, but from what I've read, it pays a pretty penny! Is it worth it? Knowing that you're helping others start a family is a huge plus along with the financial incentive, but I want to know if the process is painstaking, or easy. Curious to hear other people's thoughts on this topic!

• Honestly, I have no idea what the process is actually like from a first-person perspective. I remember considering it a LONG time ago when I was young (like early 20s), and before I had kids. I believe it DOES pay really well, but I think, too, that's because it's a big ask/process on the part of the donor (probably also the recipient too).

As I understand it, it starts with health screenings (medical, genetic, fertility, STIs) you have to "pass" and then depending on if the eggs are going to a specific person or not, possibly birth control so the donor's cycle is synced with the recipient's. This part probably doesn't happen if you're just donating eggs in general. At some point, there are self-injections that relate to stimulating follicles and maturing eggs for retrieval, and then the actual retrieval. But that's about the extent of my knowledge on the topic.

I imagine that part of the ask (and requirements) of donors, I would assume(??), is that they're not sexually active during that time or it's limited in some capacity. Not just the risk of unintended pregnancy, but STIs or other infections that could affect the ovaries. So part of the "fee" likely relates to that, too — you're taking all these steps and on top of that, you're not allowed to get laid either. Or at least, during certain parts of the process — like close to when eggs are going to be retrieved, I'd imagine.

I think it really is a wonderful thing to do, considering that you'd be helping others to start a family they might not otherwise be able to have. Myself, I was always of the mind that if I couldn't have kids of my own, I'd adopt — partly because there are so many kids who need good homes but also because the IVF process is just so long, difficult, and isn't always successful (not to mention it's crazy expensive). Although the same could probably be said for adoption, too.

If your body (and mind) can handle the process of egg donation, though, it could be a really wonderful gift to someone(s). And the financial incentive is definitely a plus.

Comment

• Years ago my wife and I inquired about IVF (in vitro fertilization) since she could not have children due to heavily scarred fallopian tubes (the doctor said that maybe it was due to untreated UTIs as a teenager). We were told by the doctors that the drugs used to induce multiple egg maturation increase the risk of ovarian cancer. Things may be different now or we could have been given the wrong information but that was the reason that my wife never went forward with IVF. Egg donation would have the same considerations about the drugs used. I would expect that a person donating eggs for cash would be at least partially compensated for the risks involved.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X