Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

period lasting 39 days.

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• period lasting 39 days.

I am 44 yrs old. never been pregnant. Over the last year I have been bleeding irregualry and extremely heavily. Every other month I experience extremely heavy and lengthy periods (30 days or more constant flow) with many clots ranging from Large marble to small fist. I currently have been bleedling for 39 days. My iron has dropped to 10.0, I have been put on Slow FE. Ultra sound normal. My doctor wants to do a D&C followed by hysterectomy. please let me know if I have other options and if a D&C is necessary prior to a hysterectomy. I don't have a lot of money to waste (D&C) if the end result is already known. thank you in advance for the insight as to my options and what your thoughts are.

• Easier

A friend of mine had a procedure by which the uterus is scraped or something, can't recall the name. Her periods became more manageable for over a year. Her Gyno said she would need it done again if it got worse again. She felt it was worth it because she doesn't want a hysterectomy.

Comment

• I am almost 41, no children and have noticed my cycle is all over the place... heavy, clotting, long. It's all signs of perimenopausal. I just went to my doctor after having a period (very light one) for 13 days. She has opted to put me on low dose birth control. Have you tried that yet? A few years back, I had a long period and was put on Progesterone. I only took it for a few months but it seemed to help for a while. It's apparently a hormonal thing.

The other poster mentioned the surgical procedure... I have a friend who had that done but it only lasted about a year or so. My sister (who is older than me) experienced the same thing (long periods, heavy, etc). She was getting her period for 20 plus days out of the month and was eventually put on birth control pills to regulate. She chose to do the hysterectomy a few years later but only because she didn't want to deal with it anymore (taking pills, etc). I think you should try the other methods before considering surgery. Good luck to you... hopefully we'll both get some relief soon.

Comment

• I would get the D&C first. What it does is clean you up on the inside. I would see 2 or 3 more doctors before settling on the hysterectomy. My mom had one at 45 and went right into menopause besides the fact that they took out her cervix along with her uterus and ovaries. Her bladder ended up dropping 10 years later and she had to have it tacked. The tack didn't stay and I found her lying on the bathroom in a pool of blood. They packed her but cannot tack it twice. Her bladder now sits in her vagina cavity, she can actually touch it. Now she is having urinary issues. Good Luck. Be well.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
        X