Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FEAR

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEAR

I am 30 years old. I haven't been to a doctor in my adult life. My menstrual cycle has changed and has me worried. I know I need to see a doctor but I am afraid of a general exam let alone **gasp** a cervical or breast exam.

I live in a small town with one doctor that I know on a personal level and I do not trust. I know that all I need from her is a referral but because I haven't seen her professionally since I was a child she will want a physical done.

I can't bear the thought of an exam. Period. And I'll need at least two to find out what's going on. Plus, a friend told me that because I haven't ever had sex with a man, a pap smear will hurt like h**ll. Now I'm petrified.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

• Surely, if you dont trust the women. It's within your rights not to have to see her. This is about your health... Why not google a doctor in the surrounding areas. Or go to a city for a day trip and see someone. Dont think there is only one option, there isnt. You have to be confortable with your desision. I am guessing that you live in America. I lived there for 5 years and it was the land of doctors.. and dentists. etc etc etc...
    They are well trained for any type of situation... and really and truely your situation doesnt seem out of the ordinary.. not only your symptoms but also the fact about the pap smear. The worst thing you can do is feel like your alone... there are probably thousands of women out there that are in a similar situation to you. My best advice would to seek advice from a trustworthy medical personal. In the nearest town or city... I think thats the best way forward.
    Hope this has helped... or at least reasured you that your not alone... and there are many way to approach getting better.

Comment

• Thanks for the advice.

It does help to know that I am not alone.

I live in Canada and my province has a doctor shortage. I'm considered lucky to even have a doctor. I'm between a rock and a hard place.....If I don't figure out something with my doctor soon I will end up just ignoring my problems until they either go away or put me in the hospital.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X