Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myths And Facts About Domestic Violence

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myths And Facts About Domestic Violence

Myths And Facts About Domestic Violence

MYTH 1

Domestic violence does not affect many people.

FACTS

A woman is beaten every 15 seconds. (Bureau of Justice Statistics, Report to the nation on Crime and Justice. The Data. Washington DC Office of Justice Program, US Dept. of Justice. Oct 1983)

Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women between ages 15 and 44 in the united States - more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined. (Uniform Crime Reports, Federal Bureau of Investigation, 1991)

Battered women are more likely to suffer miscarriages and to give birth to babies with low birth weights. (Surgeon General, United States, 1992)
    MYTH 2

Battering is only a momentary loss of temper.

FACTS

Battering is the establishment of control and fear in a relationship through violence and other forms of abuse. The batterer uses acts of violence and a series of behaviors, including intimidation, threats, psychological abuse, isolation, etc. to coerce and to control the other person. The violence may not happen often, but it remains as a hidden (and constant) terrorizing factor. (Uniform Crime Reports, Federal Bureau of Investigation, 1990)

"One in five women victimized by their spouses or ex-spouses report they had been victimized over and over again by the same person." (The Basics of Batterer Treatment, Common Purpose, Inc., Jamaica Plain, MA)
    MYTH 3

Domestic violence only occurs in poor, urban areas.

FACTS

Women of all cultures, races, occupations, income levels, and ages are battered - by husbands, boyfriends, lovers and partners. (Surgeon General Antonia Novello, as quoted in Domestic Violence: Battered Women, publication of the Reference Department of the Cambridge Public Library, Cambridge, MA)

"Approximately one-third of the men counseled (for battering) at Emerge are professional men who are well respected in their jobs and their communities. these have included doctors, psychologists, lawyers, ministers, and business executives. (For Shelter and Beyond, Massachusetts Coalition of Battered Women Service Groups, Boston, MA 1990)
    MYTH 4

Domestic violence is just a push, slap or punch - it does not produce serious injuries.

FACTS

Battered women are often severely injured - 22 to 35 percent of women who visit medical emergency rooms are there for injuries related to ongoing partner abuse. (David Adams, "Identifying the Assaultive Husband in Court: You be the Judge." Boston Bar Journal, 33-4, July/August 1989)

One in four pregnant women have a history of partner violence. (Journal of the American Medical Association, 1992)
    MYTH 5

It is easy for battered women to leave their abuser.

FACTS

Women who leave their batterers are at a 75% greater risk of being killed by the batterer than those who stay. (Barbara Hart, National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, 1988)

Nationally, 50 percent of all homeless women and children are on the streets because of violence in the home. (Senator Joseph Biden, U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary, Violence Against Women: Victims of the System, 1991)

There are nearly three times as many animal shelters in the United States as there are shelters for battered women and their children. (Senate Judiciary Hearings, Violence Against Women Act, 1990).

• a lot more

One of the facts of Domestic Violence is it's commonness
    among the upper classes.
    (In Jamaica)

Where the lower class woman could be provoked to
    hit back, or make up a racket to bring in the neighbors..
    the upper class; 'crashes the volvo'.

At one of the most prestigious women's groups in Jamaica
    I turned to a friend who was a member and asked her,
    how many women in the room were beaten by their husbands.

She looked around the room, putting name to face, so I could
    see her lips moving as she counted the women, then stopped,
    and quietly said; "About fifty percent",

In one way the figure startled me, yet, in another, it made
    sense.

If one is going to marry a man for his money, then
    she can't complain when he uses her for a punching bag.

The idea of leaving him and his status is not on.

Just recently a particular savage died, and his wife
    who had been ever so busy in the Women's Movement
    advising everyone else, was for the first time in twenty
    five years, free.

Here was a situation in which a woman was involved in
    feminism, all over the media, representing Jamaica, who
    was a text book battered wife.

Comment

• incredible that there are more animal shelters than shelters for beaten women and their children(which must also be scared to death). they should do something and change that immediately!
      My life is based on a true story

Comment

• Originally posted by tanya_flex View Post
        incredible that there are more animal shelters than shelters for beaten women and their children(which must also be scared to death). they should do something and change that immediately!
        agreed.......it always upsets me, when you see on tv commericals for donating to animal shelters to help abused animals....i mean, thats wonderful and all, but where are the ones for our ABUSED CHILDREN!!! we need to take care of our own species first!! because no other species is going to put US FIRST!

but people nowadays, a lot of them care more about animals than people.....thats sad. very sad. what about the little boy who gets the beat out of him by his drunken mother every day when he gets home from school?? where are the commercials that show what HE LOOKS LIKE AFTER A BEATING!? (same can be said for women who get abused)

i think though that people dont want bothered with that kind of knowledge, because if they saw it, they might feel a responisbility to act. and heaven forbid we give any one a responsibility!! (sarcasm) i think a lot of people see it as: "out of sight, out of mind. i dont want to be bothered with that. its uncomfortable"

sad. very very sad.

Comment

• This is an ancient thread (2+ years old) but I guess it is still relevant. It is easy to recognize abused animals. It is much more difficult to recognize abused people, and so its much harder to help them. There are a lot of women who stay in relationships that are abusive - but should the state really force them to leave? There are abused children, but there are also children taken from happy homes and put in foster care due to false accusations (I was a foster parent in one such case).

Like most of the worlds unsolved problems, this one is really difficult.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X