Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friends with benefits too complicated?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends with benefits too complicated?

I'm 35. Divorced. And dating. I have a "friends with benefits" situation with a guy who I know is not relationship material. Ultimately, I want to be with someone who is! I'm so attracted to him though and just get such a rush spending time with him. We started off dating almost a year ago, but after several months and several disappointments (cancelling plans at the last minute or sometimes AFTER we were supposed to get together), I broke it off with him. It wasn't just that he was inconsiderate--he is not expressive or communicative. He is a workaholic and is pretty selfish. After a couple of weeks of being without him, I started to feel over him. Then one night he showed up and poured his heart out. We gave it another go, and not surprisingly, ended up right where we started. After I broke it off the second time, I suggested the "friends with benefits" relationship. To be honest, even though I knew he wasn't the right guy for me, I didn't want to give him up. I also didn't want to hold myself back from the potential of finding the right guy for me. Let me be clear though, that I had no intention (and still don't) of being sexually intimate with anyone else other than my "friend." Now here I am almost a year later, finding myself still feeling disappointed and still wanting more with him. We'll spend time together, he says all these terribly sweet and thoughtful things, then I think "well... maybe... we...?" Then I get disappointed all over again. I've made the decision, but I continue to contemplate! I know a life with him would be heartbreaking--so why can't I just walk away? Our relationship works when I have no expectations. When I'm just in the moment with him... He's already told me that he knows that he's not a good boyfriend and that I deserve better than him. That just endears him to me more. I sound ridiculously silly, I know. Then on top of that, I've gone on a few dates here and there, but I haven't met anyone I'm even remotely attracted to. I know the answer is to work on me and try to understand what is wrong with me to want to be in a relationship such as this. But the reason I'm even writing this is that even though I know that's the best thing, I don't want to! Any advice? Empathy? Criticism? Thanks!!!!

• Many women think that by loving a guy, he will return the feelings and they will be able to fix him. It works in some cases, but I think it doesn't in most. FWB gives both of you part of a relationship which has to be torn apart to create a real relationship with someone else. That means time single in between which can be scary.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Do you think that it's possible that by staying "stuck" with this relationship, I'm keeping myself unavailable? Funny, there's an ad for Eat, Pray, Love right by your post, and that whole story is based on this woman taking that time for her...

Comment

• You are un-available You may have been on a few dates, but we are emotional creatures and you have warm fuzzies, even though you know it's not enough you want more, how can you become attracted to someone else? Someone will have to sweep you off your feet, without you realising...You could be 40 by then

There is something incredibly sexy about, seeing someone, the wait, the getting dressed a little, the laughter, no fights, then they leave and your alone and you think, well I love that feeling, I hate this part and it tares you a little. Confusion, but the "good" part your letting outwaying the bad part.

The above really does apply to a "great relationship" though, and that also gives you more, much, much more, including the "good" part... You can keep sparks in a relationship, by ensuring both of you, that you just do... and because, you make an effort..

Your missing out big time... so go with the lonley, a little more than your doing it now, like full time.... and really see the above, you can have this and more, if you were to let go.

He's more than likely just a batchelor Type person and it's too late to try to turn it backwards .....

CW
        PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Yes, you are holding yourself back from finding what you really want by staying connected to this man. He is playing you like a harp. He gets sex and some fun time with you when he wants it, you get an illusion of a possiblity.
          I think that the ONLY chance you have of ever having anything with him, is if you say, I care for you but can't do this anymore - good bye. Coincidentally this is also the only chance you have to find something with anyone else either. You will just have to plan on some down time. I know it's hard but you have to. I get to be quite cranky without sex but right now I am surviving it and since I'm just about the horniest woman in the state, it I can do it, so can you.

Comment

• Thanks for the advice. I know it's in my best interest to break it off. We got together again last night, and I could not sleep. I felt so anxious and tense. My intuition is guiding me. I just have to listen to it. It's going to be hard, but I think in the long run it would be a lot more difficult to stay in this relationship. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

Comment

• Yes, it will be hard. But remember what YOU want. A relationship. He doesn't, and he's made it clear. That's an ultimate deal breaker in my book. Best of luck as you deal with this and good luck.

Comment

• Well, I want to thank you all so much for your replies, and I also wanted to give an update because hopefully it might help someone else who's in a similar situation. For so long I felt a tremendous amount of anxiety because I was in a situation that I knew wasn't in my best interest. As much as I wanted to walk away, I was scared to. Scared of...? Being alone? Making a mistake? And let's be honest, I was somewhat addicted to him. It finally got to the point I just couldn't stay stuck in that limbo any longer. We talked. I told him how I felt. We acknowledged that our relationship would not move beyond where we were, and so therefore I couldn't move forward unless it was without him. I spent a couple of days moping, but since we've split, this incredible weight has been lifted. While I was going through the indecision (for months), I wasn't taking care of myself. I drank way too much way too often. Some nights I didn't brush my teeth. Depressed. I was in this constant state of turmoil. Now that we've split, I've started to honor myself again. I feel motivated to nurture myself--to eat well and exercise. I don't wake up feeling anxious. Last night he left a message saying he was calling to see how I was doing. When I saw the missed call, my heart started pounding and I felt the anxiety washing over me again. I played it safe, texted instead of returning the call. I was honest and said that I doing well because now I'm focused on taking care of myself. I really am doing great! And I feel good about embracing where I am, and I'm excited about what the future holds.

Comment

• Good for you!!!
                  Pat

Comment

• I just want to say that this post has helped me so much your in the same situation i was in..only this was my best friend..I just today have realized that he will never love me the way I want..I don't know or care to say if he really cared or loved me as much as he said he did, I believe he did however I am done now..hopefully one day we will be able to rekindle our friendship because it was a great one..other then that I have to learn to love myself, realize that I am a great catch and any man would be happy to have me..why sit and pine over someone who is not ready..I think words spoken between us made it hard and carrier for me to leave believing that he was the only man that understood me. Even after just a quick prayer I feel better more focused better able to handle my life..so thank you for posting this 2 years ago... because you did help me~

Comment

• So glad to hear this helped you, m! That is great news

I'm closing this thread as it is quite old, and so anyone else who wants to respond to you can do so on your current thread.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                      X