Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A mama's boy?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mama's boy?

I'm on a dating website. We emailed back and forth a few times. Talked to him on the phone once. He is on vacation right now but we decided on a date once he gets back next week. No details for the date at all have been made yet.

Something he said during that phone call is itching in the back of my mind. I'm going to put it aside and give him the benefit of the doubt for now but I can't help but wonder.

During the phone call, he says he talks to his mother every day and then a pause after it. Probably just my imagination but sort of a dare you to say something about that type of pause. He didn't say she is ill or getting so old, that needs medical attention or to be watched over. His father passed away about ten years ago.

A guy close to 40 talking to his mother every day. He has never been married but neither have I. Do you think this guy is a mama's boy? I'm not saying calling his mother every day makes him one but I can't help but wonder what kind of relationship he has with her. But then should a son be calling his mother every day? Also, in his profile, he has a picture of him and his mom there. Which just adds more fuel to the fire. lol
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR="#000080"]Why do we fall, sir? So we can learn to pick ourselves up. ~Alfred Pennyworth, Batman Begins[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

• My wife talks to her mother every day. Her mother elderly and lonely. I think it could be viewed as a real kindness.

The interaction is of course key. Is he asking his mother what to do (bad sign). Or is he talking with, helping and comforting his mother?

You need to know more to understand their relationship.

Comment

• My dad talks to his mother about every day and sees her pretty frequently too. He's not a mamma's boy and my grandma is not the controlling type.
      "Those sowing seed with tears
      Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Originally posted by rcoreyus View Post
        The interaction is of course key. Is he asking his mother what to do (bad sign). Or is he talking with, helping and comforting his mother?

You need to know more to understand their relationship.
        Rcoreyus, don't know yet. But if it gets past the first date, or even more, I guess I will eventually find out.
        [SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][COLOR="#000080"]Why do we fall, sir? So we can learn to pick ourselves up. ~Alfred Pennyworth, Batman Begins[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

• He could be anything from a really decent guy who has great respect and affection for women--including his mother to a mama's boy.

Definately need more info.

Let us know after your date.

Comment

• Well, I just came back from the first date. I guess it is a mute point if he is a mama's boy or not because there is not going to be a second date. I had a feeling it wasn't so great during the second phone call but I decided to try the date anyways because I wasn't sure and I had already agreed to the date. When he is laughing to his jokes and you are not, or you are trying to fake a laugh, you know that is not a good sign. Or the only time we're laughing together is because it was the joke I told, it is pretty sad. I don't' want a guy that I have to learn to find him funny.

I feel like I'm never going to find that right guy.

Comment

• Next!
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Maybe he was nervous he is nearly 40.

It's hard dating at that age. Did you both try to hold conversations as well?
                PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• CW, I can talk up a storm but we were holding the conversation up together. He likes telling me about his friends story. I must have heard about four different cat or dog poop stories and one baby vomit story. Not my kind of stories! Also, I find myself talking with my hands at times. When talking about a friend, he would pretend he was them and change his voice and use his hands. It is ok you do that a little bit. It can be funny but when you do it again and again, a few times I would think he might have drawn attention, it was just getting a little uncomfortable.

I'm thinking some woman may find him funny and cute. And he deserves a woman who looks at him that way. For me I just was not attracted to his personality. While I want a guy with a sense of humor, he seemed, I don't know, maybe a little too immature to me. Either that or just not the kind of personality I'm looking for.

Comment

• I don't think you can call him a mama's boy,he just love his mom very much and maybe worried for his mother is ill...try to talk to him about his mom so that you would understand why he is like that...tell him how you feel and what's on your mind so that all of your wonder's will be answered....your lucky to have him for he can loved you the way he does to his mother.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                    X