Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X/10 and the "ladder" thwory

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X/10 and the "ladder" thwory

I'm curious how many people think in terms of ordering potential dates on an X out of 10 scale, or on the very similar "ladder" theory. The idea that you can put all potential dates / partners in order, and you try to date the "best" one that you think you can get.

I've never thought this way, but from a number of posts it seems that some people do. If you do, for you, what characteristics put people at different places on this scale, and do you think most people would agree with the order you pick?

• This is good...I was going to intro this concept of appearance compatibility to my socioeconomic thread...
    Play on. Eventually I'll have a chunk of time to comment completely

Comment

• I've never been fortunate enough to have five or six women on a ladder at one time to make my decision.

Appearance is just one of many criteria. Women get uglier or more beautiful depending on inner qualities . . . A gorgeous woman with a **********y personality becomes far less beautiful in my eyes. In my younger days, I would self select away from a ten thinking her too shallow to date someone less than an eight . . . But 10s have deeper criteria as well.
      "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• Originally posted by rcoreyus View Post
        The idea that you can put all potential dates / partners in order, and you try to date the "best" one that you think you can get.
        In a way, I think this is the ideal. A person would have as wide as possible a list of potential mates. They would look at all of the qualities they have - goals, personality, family situation, attraction, expectations etc. to see which is most ideal.

I don't know if a X/10 would be best. Maybe pros and cons?

I think that generally people are talking about looks though. That's a horrible way to rate people - at least by itself. There's just so much more. A guy might look and dress like he belongs on the cover of GQ, but have the intelligence of a sack of rocks. If the lady looking for a mate has the brains to match, it may be perfect, but if she's a Harvard-trained philosopher looking for someone to engage in some stimulating conversation, then what good are his looks?

EDIT: Also, "Estimated Chance She'll Put Out Quickly?" Is this what men are looking for out there? Does it work both ways? Like if that chance is high, it's a turn-off for some?
        "Those sowing seed with tears
        Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• To me what distinguishes the "ladder" concept is that you can rate people with a single number. that potential mates form a Totally Ordered set. It generally assume that most people will apply a similar order. So a person who is 8/10 will be more desirable to almost everyone than someone who is 7/10.

This is different from just finding some people more attractive than others. For me, while some women are more attractive than others, there are may examples of very different looking women where I could not say which was more attractive.

If you put me on a scale of 1 to 10, I'm an "i".

Comment

• Originally posted by rcoreyus View Post
            If you put me on a scale of 1 to 10, I'm an "i".
            You can be irrational sometimes, but I never thought of you as imaginary.
            "Those sowing seed with tears
            Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• Its complex, but I have to admit that I'm not completely real. At least I'm not negative.

Comment

• Its great that you s-plane it so well.
                I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I didn't have time to derive what was going on.
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Finding the right person isn't a science... sorry guys
                    [B]"Are you serious? You're [i]bleeping[/I] THAT girl?"[/B][B] - [COLOR="#B22222"]jen1447[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

• Everything is science my dear

Comment

• Originally posted by Something_Awesome View Post
                        Finding the right person isn't a science... sorry guys
                        It isn't science, but if the person looking is somewhat like me, I could possibly point to some countries to start in for better chances.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                          You can be irrational sometimes, but I never thought of you as imaginary.
                          I thought he was meaning what was currently being discussed. j

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                          X