Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Think Pretty Privilege Is A Real Thing? If So, How?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ashlee T. View Post
    In my experience professionally, it seems like women who are less visually pleasing are taken more seriously. My theory is that this occurs because the men are less distracted by them and the women are less threatened by them.
    I think you absolutely nailed it with this statement.

A woman who is providing little in the way of sexual distraction for men and who garners little in the way of resentment from her female competition, will be taken more seriously and may advance in her career with greater ease. “Pretty” women aren’t necessarily taken all that seriously because they are pretty, for so many reasons.

Like atskitty2 mentioned, too, some women will intentionally dress more conservatively at work because of that – muting their attractiveness and not “flaunting their sexuality” (for lack of a better phrase) may enable them to not be seen as a distraction to men or as sexual competition to the women she works with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison H. View Post

I totally agree. I like to think that musicians like Adele and Lizzo, or actresses like Chrissy Metz (This is Us) are helping to break the mold regarding tall and thin being the “beautiful ideal” these days, but that takes time.
      I would add Elle King to that list.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• This is infuriating that this is even an issue. It's articles like this that make me check myself because I just assume, or find it difficult to comprehend that other people didn't grow up in the same environment that I did. I come from a strong family of all women where I am the oldest male. But what everyone has said is the reality and I don't know how to change it

Comment

• In politics I regularly see people commenting on Nicola Sturgeons appearance like every other male MP and SNP is even remotely attractive

Comment

• I agree 100% Alison H. You've nailed it on the head.

It is amazing - not always in a good way - that media influences people so much. People aren't necessarily easily led, but they are pressured in a lot of ways via the media.

I could go on forever, for it is a long and complex subject. But, basically, I think the media will always have a dramatic influence on the public.

Comment

• It would be wonderful to be both beautiful AND intelligent.

Why should it be one or the other?

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                It would be wonderful to be both beautiful AND intelligent.

Why should it be one or the other?
                THIS. So much this. For some reason, and I'm not sure if it's society at large or some innate type of thinking that's been bred into the human brain across generations, but it feels like you can be one or the other, but never both.

Comment

• This is bumping up an old thread, but I do believe if you're pretty, you're more likely to be respected than if you're "ugly" [for lack of a better word]. Attractive women are often assumed to be more intelligent than their plainer counterparts.

It does seem that women are admired for their beauty: if a woman doesn't fit that requirement, others see her as less than she is.

I realize this sounds terribly negative, but women are valued by society for their beauty. Of course intelligence matters too, but looks have a major impact on how a woman is judged.

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                    I realize this sounds terribly negative, but women are valued by society for their beauty. Of course intelligence matters too, but looks have a major impact on how a woman is judged.
                    Oh, they absolutely do. While standards of beauty have changed across centuries, I think there has always been a preference for beauty and more value given to women who are deemed beautiful by the standards of that era.

It almost feels like it’s genetically ingrained at this point. It sounds negative because it is — at least for women who aren’t considered to be beautiful in the traditional sense.

Then again, I think it gives those same women more reason to bring the focus to their other qualities, whether it's their intelligence, artistry, or some other skill set.

Comment

• Agreed, Alison H.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to How many sex toys is too many?

I'll never forget in my early 20's there was a girl I was dating who introduced me to "toys"...I remember calling her on the phone one time,...

Yesterday, 05:39 PM By JonnyR

I didn't know there were laws about how many sex toys a person could have in some states! That's wild! And, tbh, as long as you're using them and they're...

01-22-2021, 12:58 PM By DoggoLover

Nine doesn't seem excessive to me. I have a lot of cameras. Some people have bookcases of books. I would suppose you bought each one because it was a...

01-21-2021, 08:07 PM By jns

Lol! 9 doesn't seem excessive to me.
                        I know of a woman that kept a suitcase full of them, and yes, she took it with her even visiting family for...

01-21-2021, 06:47 PM By atskitty2
                      • How many sex toys is too many?

My husband went into my nightstand drawer to find a book light, and this is what I hear.
                        "Jeez, how many of these things do you have?!?"...

01-21-2021, 06:39 PM By Wednesday L.F.

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• How many sex toys is too many?

My husband went into my nightstand drawer to find a book light, and this is what I hear.
                        "Jeez, how many of these things do you have?!?"...

01-21-2021, 06:39 PM By Wednesday L.F.
                      • Birth Control & Infertility

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill ****Yaz**** almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception....

01-16-2021, 11:03 AM By Mr.King

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill ****Yaz**** almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception....

01-16-2021, 11:02 AM By Mr.King

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill *Yaz* almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception. I have...

01-16-2021, 10:57 AM By Mr.King
                      • Opinions needed please ! HPV/bartholin cyst??

Hi guys , this is my first post here I’m hoping someone can give me some insight or maybe you have been through something similar an can share ! I’m...

01-08-2021, 04:05 AM By Nikkie92
                      Working...
                      X