Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girlfriend still talks to the one she wanted...

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girlfriend still talks to the one she wanted...

So my girlfriend of 4 months still talks to a guy she used to have sex with and wanted to date but he never liked her in that way and seemed to just want a "Friends with Benefits" type relationship with her. I dont know the last time they had sex(Not sure I really want to know) but she showed me a picture of them kind of hanging on each other, time stamped a week before we started going out.

He is 28 while my gf and I are 22. She seems to still be very fond of him and is influenced by him greatly. For example I said I wanted to see the movie District 9 because of the great reviews and what not. At first she didnt want to see it even when I told her I wanted to. But then she gets a text from him saying he enjoyed it. That made her REALLY want to go see it. That may seem like nothing from an outside perspective but it really bothered me. I feel like I have no kind of influence on her while she is interested in everything he likes.

She tells me she doesn't want to date him anymore after finding me. And has "Nothing in common" with him(which is not true). Which leads me to believe she is telling me things I want to hear. The only reason she liked him was because she was lonely. They still text message each other every morning, and have tried to make plans to see each other, but they usually fall through.

I feel like I am at a disadvantage. He's older, experienced, lives on his own, and known her longer while I am her age, live with my parents(going to school :P), and somewhat unexperienced.

We have gotten into a few arguments about this, and I always explain why I dont like her talking to him. I really want her to cut all communication with him but dont want to seem threatened by this guy and possibly push her away from me. Also afraid they will continue to talk and make plans with each other just not tell me anymore, which is kind of going on now.

She says she doesnt tell me when she talks to him because she doesnt want to make me upset.

This whole thing is really eating me up inside and I dont know how much more I can take of it. She seems genuinely in love with me but I feel like he has a part of her heart that I will never get.

• My first question is how do you think she would act if the tables were turned? Not that you want to do this, but I think she needs to look at it from a different view point...

They've had sex, she wanted to further the relationship, he didn't. Personally, I think she may still be hung up on the guy but maybe not, maybe she can genuinely be friends with him and nothing more. But that still leaves you in an awkward position, right? You're not comfortable with it.

I think you are right too... If you voice anymore concern about it, the communication, plans, etc. will probably continue but behind your back. And there you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I think friends with the opposite sex is one thing, however, friends that used to be FWB is something entirely different. I don't know, I'd hate to say that an ultimatum needs to be thrown out there because ultimatum's suck, but it may be what's needed to force her to make up her mind about what exactly she truly wants from each relationship.

Comment

• Funny thing is I know she would absolutely hate it if the tables were turned. She noticed a girls name in my contacts list on my cell phone who wanted to date me. She couldnt believe I even had the number still. I deleted the number, not because she told me too(she didnt) but because I dont call or text her anymore anyways.

The thing about my gf is that she doesnt see things from other peoples' point of view and always feels right, even over the littlest things.

An ultimatum type chat has crossed my mind but I think I am going to wait until she meets up with him some time but doesnt tell me before hand.

I feel really bad about this but I do read her text messages. I only began to after she told me about the type of relationship they had and when she stopped telling me when they talk and try to make plans.

Comment

• Well tony, the way you describe your girlfriend... she sounds a bit self-centered. What are the things she does that make you feel loved and special, secure and the object of her desire? I mean besides tell you so... what are her actions like?

What are some of her qualities that you are in love with?

I ask this because if she fails to see things from other peoples perspectives... thats a character flaw that is going to hurt now and down the road from now.

I realize you are in love with her, but what are some of the reasons why?

She's not over this guy in my opinion. The way a lot of girls minds work... they want what they can't have... if she really is a me, me, me type person -- this guy blowing her off would only become a challenge to her, a game, something to try to win -- possibly at your expense.

I wouldn't be comfortable with my guy talking to a girl he use to sleep with but especially so if he had fallen for her and the only reason they aren't together is because SHE chose not to be. See what I mean? If he on the other hand was the one that let the ex go.. I'd still not like the contact, people can fall into old patterns , comfort zones and be lead astray too easily. But if I knew its where his heart was, and that he had not closed that chapter.. It would be hard to take.

But you are right... what can you do? Tell her to stop, make her do it in secret, make her feel suffocated and push her back into the arms of the person that doesn't seem to want her anyway?

You have to ask yourself this... if you are miserable now the way she is treating you, torn up about it... and asking her to help you fix the way you feel about it will only cause you more hurt... what are the things causing you to stick around besides just "loving her..." ask yourself WHY you love her.
        Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony two tone View Post
          So my girlfriend of 4 months still talks to a guy she used to have sex with and wanted to date but he never liked her in that way and seemed to just want a "Friends with Benefits" type relationship with her.
          She is still interested in him. Girls don't talk to guys they aren't interested in unless they fall into the "friends" category. Unfortunately, she's had sex with this guy, so he is not just a "friend."

Originally posted by Tony two tone View Post
          She tells me she doesn't want to date him anymore after finding me. And has "Nothing in common" with him(which is not true). Which leads me to believe she is telling me things I want to hear. The only reason she liked him was because she was lonely.
          She's lying....she's telling you what she thinks you want to hear and what will smooth the situation out. Those are excuses....why is she still in touch with this guy if they have nothing in common? If she only hung out with him when she was lonely, well- she's got you now, she isn't lonely anymore, so why is the relationship going on?

They still text message each other every morning, and have tried to make plans to see each other, but they usually fall through.
          You shouldn't be putting up with this.

We have gotten into a few arguments about this, and I always explain why I dont like her talking to him. I really want her to cut all communication with him but dont want to seem threatened by this guy and possibly push her away from me.
          So you've told her you don't like her talking to this guy and she still talks to him? Bad sign.

Also afraid they will continue to talk and make plans with each other just not tell me anymore, which is kind of going on now.
          Worst sign yet. They are making plans to see each other and she isn't telling you about them?

Bottom line- she isn't over this guy yet. You need to let her go and let her figure her own things out. If you stick around, you're gonna end up getting hurt.

Comment

• If it was just freinds she would have no problem telling you anything and everything. Freinds have things in common.
            Tell her you care for her but you want her to be absolutely certain, therefore you are giving her, her freedom. Tell her you want her date "the freind" and be certain that is out of her system and that she should see anyone else she thinks she might be attracted to, In the meantime, you are equally free. If she protests, then you two have to have some mutually agreed upon limits and the old freind is off limits.

Comment

• Ok I have to totally disagree with everyone here because I've been in her shoes. Prior to meeting my current boyfriend I lived on my own in an apartment. I met this guy online, come to find out he had lived right across the street from me for like 3 yrs and we didn't know it. He told me he always saw me driving (I had a customized paint job on my car) and he said he always wanted to meet me. Shortly after him and I starting sleeping together. Like the girl I am, I thought I was falling for him. We talked about being together but then he'd date another girl, they'd break up a month later and we'd hook up again. This went on for about 2 yrs before he made it clear all we'd be were friends with benefits. Yet I still continued to hope it would change. I finally met my man. The friend got a bit upset that I cut off the benefit part because I found someone. I still talked to my friend ALOT while my man and i were getting closer. My boyfriend told me one day that he completely trusts me but he wanted to know if I still had feelings for this friend and I told him no. He's the past and I have what I want right now. He never spoke of it again. Here it is a yr and 4 months later and I still talk to my friend. heck he even begged me to be at his wedding and I was one of the first friends he wanted to meet his new son. Times went on, yes I wanted to be with him but friends with benefits, wanting more can turn into just friends.

you just need to talk to her. It is not up to you to tell her you dont want her to talk to him anymore. Its not your choice who her friends are. You have been together for 4 months. all you will do is push her away by telling her she's not allowed to talk to him. If you truely feel you cant trust her then maybe you shouldn't be with her. You have to have trust in a relationship. My situation could be completely different. Did I honestly wake up after finding my boyfriend and have no more feelings for the friend. No, of course I had feelings for him still but they faded as my feelings for my boyfriend became stronger. You cant expect anyone to just stop feeling. things like that dont just go poof.....gone.
              Krystal

Comment

• Originally posted by Kallygirlie View Post
                Like the girl I am, I thought I was falling for him.
                You shouldn't make statements like that- it perpetuates the idea that men are smarter than women.

Originally posted by Kallygirlie View Post
                you just need to talk to her. It is not up to you to tell her you dont want her to talk to him anymore. Its not your choice who her friends are. You have been together for 4 months. all you will do is push her away by telling her she's not allowed to talk to him. If you truely feel you cant trust her then maybe you shouldn't be with her. You have to have trust in a relationship. My situation could be completely different. Did I honestly wake up after finding my boyfriend and have no more feelings for the friend. No, of course I had feelings for him still but they faded as my feelings for my boyfriend became stronger. You cant expect anyone to just stop feeling. things like that dont just go poof.....gone.
                He has talked to her. They've had arguments about it.

Their situation is different than yours. She is lying and sneaking around. That speaks volumes.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhThereYouAre View Post
                  You shouldn't make statements like that- it perpetuates the idea that men are smarter than women.

He has talked to her. They've had arguments about it.

Their situation is different than yours. She is lying and sneaking around. That speaks volumes.
                  and how do you know she is lying. He said they have argued. thats not talking. How did these arguments start? Did he accuse her of still having feelings? you dont know because your not there. I'm just going off of what I've felt and what I've seen happen. Furthermore, I'm not saying men are smarter. I'm saying women are a little more giving of there hearts then men. it's hard to say what is going on without knowing her. I just wanted him to see that there is a different side out there then "she's lying". If my boyfriend would have started demanding me to stop hanging out with my friend or talking to him then chances are we would have ended back then cause with out trust I relationship cant survive.
                  Krystal

Comment

She tells me she doesn't want to date him anymore after finding me. And has "Nothing in common" with him(which is not true).
                    There's a lie.

Also afraid they will continue to talk and make plans with each other just not tell me anymore, which is kind of going on now.
                    There's another.

She says she doesnt tell me when she talks to him because she doesnt want to make me upset.
                    There's some more.

Comment

• Originally posted by OhThereYouAre View Post
                      Bottom line- she isn't over this guy yet. You need to let her go and let her figure her own things out. If you stick around, you're gonna end up getting hurt.
                      I agree here. I think she is extremely selfish.

And why oh why would you ever feel at a disadvantage against this DB who is still in contact with your girlfriend? He's 6 years older than you, you're still in school, you two are at different stages in your lives. I can tell you what, you've got more class than that guy any day...

Comment

• Originally posted by WildChild View Post
                        If it was just freinds she would have no problem telling you anything and everything. Freinds have things in common.
                        Tell her you care for her but you want her to be absolutely certain, therefore you are giving her, her freedom. Tell her you want her date "the freind" and be certain that is out of her system and that she should see anyone else she thinks she might be attracted to, In the meantime, you are equally free. If she protests, then you two have to have some mutually agreed upon limits and the old freind is off limits.
                        PERFECT perfect solution. Let her go, tell her you are doing so... tell her how much you are into her but that in your heart you haven't feel she's let this guy go yet, it would be the truth and it would be fair. She WILL protest because she doesn't want you open to seeing other people , so that WOULD give you the perfect opportunity to explain your expectations for the relationship ... i.e. you prefer she not speak to guys she use have sex with that broke her heart... etc. etc.
                        Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hopeless Dork View Post
                          Well tony, the way you describe your girlfriend... she sounds a bit self-centered. What are the things she does that make you feel loved and special, secure and the object of her desire? I mean besides tell you so... what are her actions like?

What are some of her qualities that you are in love with?
                          I love her because she is just as socially awkward as I am. We have the same interests and a lot of the same views. Also at my age it is very hard to find someone who doesn't smoke weed or do drugs, unless they are a religious type, which I am far from.

She is in fact very self centered. But she is also clingy, which makes me feel very loved and wanted. As soon as she gets out of work she calls and asks me to come over. I always do and stay there until she goes to bed.

The thing is when I am at work seems to be the time they make plans. I wouldn't have a problem with that normally since I am at work and i am unavailable, but it makes me very nervous. Like I cant even leave her side for one sec before she starts talking to him.

I think the next time his name is brought up. I'll have to have another serious chat with her. One that will hopefully resolve this cause this issue comes up every two weeks or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by LanaBear View Post
                            I agree here. I think she is extremely selfish.

And why oh why would you ever feel at a disadvantage against this DB who is still in contact with your girlfriend? He's 6 years older than you, you're still in school, you two are at different stages in your lives. I can tell you what, you've got more class than that guy any day...
                            I think that is what I will do. Give her time to think about it and make a decision.

I hate to be stereotypical but I feel like I am at a disadvantage because ladies usually like an older man. One that will take care of her. He is alot more confident then I am, and much more louder and talkative. Its like this guy took advantage of her loneliness, and just wanted to be with a much younger girl.

Comment

I think that is what I will do. Give her time to think about it and make a decision.

I hate to be stereotypical but I feel like I am at a disadvantage because ladies usually like an older man. One that will take care of her. He is alot more confident then I am, and much more louder and talkative. Its like this guy took advantage of her loneliness, and just wanted to be with a much younger girl.
                              But that's no reason to let her walk over you about this... You need to build up that confidence. Confidence is a HUGE attraction to many women, read through some posts here and you'll see that is one of the top attractions.

Hit up OTYA and OG, those two spew confidence, they'll give you some some good things to ponder...

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• Sex with my daughters Boyfriend???

Long story short, this guy has been with my daughter for 10 years. They just bought a house and had a new-born. After retiring, I've been helping out...

06-15-2021, 09:35 PM By BlondeCougar
                              • Normal to Like Significant Other Walking Around Nude in House with a Bush?

Is it normal to like your partner to walk around fully nude in the house with a bush? To enjoy looking at "big chest" and "big behind"?...

06-14-2021, 05:14 PM By lakeocean
                              • Erotica

I love erotica! It’s such a fun way to get off. Stimulating the mind and body at the same time. If you like to read erotica too, I’d like to know...

06-09-2021, 12:14 PM By Zoë T.
                              • Ever Tried Laser Hair Removal?

I’m interested in getting laser hair removal for my pubic hair and armpits. I’m worried about the pain aspect of laser hair removal - if you’ve...

06-09-2021, 11:40 AM By Zoë T.
                              • Grower vs Shower

Does anybody have experience with a guy's penis changing significantly in length when getting hard?? Or not changing at all? I've only experienced a tiny...

06-03-2021, 04:40 PM By Julia W.
                              Working...
                              X