Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Husband - never content

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband - never content

My husband is a great guy... He's always planning ahead, he's very responsible and prepared... Sometimes though I just feel like he's never content, he can't just live in the moment... He's never content with the here and now.

He talks constantly about changing careers and has changed his mind about what he wants to do a number of times. He's an electrician now with good hours and good pay. Even his diet lately he has been trying to track down to the exact gram and calorie. I'm a health teacher so I'm all about being in shape and eating right, but he's kind of been driving me a little batty lately because these 2 things are all he talks about...
    I love h to death but I don't know how to tell him, let's talk about something else without him kind of taking it personal.
    Hope I don't sound *****y, because I do love and appreciate him... It's just I kind of need some more enjoyable convo than, what do you think about this career or what would you do if I started working 2nd shift if I took this career or that one...

....... Just venting

• Has he always been that way?
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• I know he doesn't enjoy his job... He hates it... I feel bad because I'm not in his shoes with that and it's a place he has to go every day... I always listen and have been supportive of whatever decision he intends to make... But lately he's been going on and on to a point where I'm zoning out.
      So yes he's always been discontent with work, but maybe it's worse than I thought and that's why now he's going on about it more.
      And he wants to lose a few pounds, which I don't think he needs to but he wants to do of course I'll support him in that too. I don't know if I'm just tired and having a baby has lessened my patience in listening to him or not. I can't tell.
      And honestly there isn't a real problem. I feel bad for complaining at all because we have a great relationship. I just feel like he would enjoy himself more if he just enjoyed the 'here and now ' a little more.

Comment

• Just tell him that. See what he says. He obviously doesn't think he's going on ad nauseum, so just let him know. Key is communication!

Comment

• Well, I have several thoughts on this and I'll try to be brief.

I think, likely, your post baby hormones, change in responsibility and priority shift is probably why you're more annoyed with his musings than usual. Your focus has shifted to baby for awhile.

I also think he may be having a sort of crisis within himself about being unhappy at work, but feeling stuck in it, for fear if he fails trying to do something else, he would be unable to provide for not only you, but his child. I think his need to be a super provider has probably kicked in now that he's a daddy, and maybe he's questioning if he is doing all he can, while struggling with the job he's unhappy in...etc. Maybe he regrets not changing jobs before he had the additional responsibility of the baby.
          I don't know, but I imagine his manly, "must-provide" instinct is driving this increase in discussions.
          Do you think? Talk to him about it.

And I can't remember my third point....I'll have to come back later.
          How is little Jack anyway?

Comment

• I remembered as soon as I posted....

I think his desire to lose weight can also coincide with that whole instinct of providing and taking things a bit more seriously. Staying healthy and active, to maintain his ability to provide and raise the kids and set good examples...All those things.

My brother went thru smth similar when his second was born. He is a high functioning alcoholic. When he was about to have his second, he quit drinking, lost probably 50-60 pounds and went for a promotion at work, and got it. He changed. He grew up in a different way and took life a little more seriously. He's maintained this for nearly 10 yrs now, so, it was truly a change within him.

It sounds a bit archaic maybe, sexist maybe, but I do believe we have those different drives within us.

Comment

• I agree with A dub communication is the key here Cape. I have the same issue with Donna when she has a rough week. She will come home and rant and raves about her job that it sucks and hates it. So I will make her dinner and rub her feet. Then pour some wine for the both of us and let her try and relax so she tells me her issue of work. Then I give her ideas and by the time for dinner and a dip in hot tub and Donna is relax and forgot all her day issues. So my feeling just let hubby vent and tell him then how you feel about it all. So discuss it together then. But anyway how is little Jack doing by way I bet growing like a weed.
              When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

• Thanks all for the responses. I feel so bad sounding negative about Ron because he's just an awesome husband.
                I can totally agree with what people said about the way me as a woman and he as a man might react. I've done better of putting myself in his shoes and I have been more patient, and have been more empathetic when he needs to vent. I want him to be happy with his career.
                And even though he still wants to lose weight I cooked one of his favorite things to eat ( yes, spaghetti and meatballs) and a lot of it and bought him butter pecan ice cream.
                Thinking about binge buying a jacuzzi but not sure if I should lol. We need some romance and since neither of us want to leave Jack here at home, maybe staying in and relaxing out in a tub with a baby monitor would be a good replacement.
                Jack is just amazing for lack of a stronger adjective. I can't get enough of his chubby cheeks and chubby arms and legs.

Comment

• No problem Cape, any time. When you are married you going to have a rough patches. That's a given it's how you handle it all that makes it all better with each other. But I would give the two thumbs up on the jacuzzi as a real good idea. This allows for more fun with Ron wink wink . Plus adds more romantic side of what you can do in the jacuzzi lol. But the biggest and best idea you never have to leave little Jack 😄 with a sitter and you can have loads of fun with each other as well lol. 😋😎
                  When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

• Haha thanks again for the input! I'll let us know if I can talk him into getting one... It's been on our wish list pretty much since we bought a house but just hasn't happened yet 😀

Comment

• Aww wow. Yeah I feel so bad venting about him. He's perfect in every way for me. He's the love of my life and had made me life great for lack of better words. I want him to feel good in all areas of his life. A career is a big part of that and maybe I can brainstorm ideas. As far as his looks/health are concerned, he is in good shape and I think he's the sexiest man alive lol. He is concerned because he has put just the tiniest weight on in his stomach and I begged him to stop waxing his chest because he looks so sexy with some chest hair haha but maybe I should tell him to do hat makes him feel more comfortable with himself.

Comment

• Yeah kind of. He gets self conscious a lot. I tease him and tell him that's my job as the woman...not to be sexist 😛

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Birth Control & Infertility

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill ****Yaz**** almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception....

Yesterday, 11:02 AM By Mr.King

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill *Yaz* almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception. I have...

Yesterday, 10:57 AM By Mr.King
                        • Reply to Have you ghosted someone?

Vanessa R. When I met the guy I've been dating, I actually asked him about his ghosting history the first time we met. He didn't really even know what...

01-15-2021, 03:16 PM By atskitty2

I truly appreciate the insight and feedback, JonnyR , especially coming from a guy. I've been fortunate enough in recent months to come across a few "rare...

01-14-2021, 01:38 PM By Vanessa R.

Very true atskitty2 ! You bring up a good point about how easy it is for someone to walk away in all facets. Of course, the fact that there are people...

01-14-2021, 12:21 PM By Vanessa R.

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill ****Yaz**** almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception....

Yesterday, 11:02 AM By Mr.King

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill *Yaz* almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception. I have...

Yesterday, 10:57 AM By Mr.King
                        • Opinions needed please ! HPV/bartholin cyst??

Hi guys , this is my first post here I’m hoping someone can give me some insight or maybe you have been through something similar an can share ! I’m...

01-08-2021, 04:05 AM By Nikkie92
                        • Got a Vulva? Let's talk wanking!

I'm putting together a piece on hands-free masturbation and would love to hear from people with vulvas. I'm looking for quotes or stories about early...

01-03-2021, 01:44 AM By Wednesday L.F.
                        • I just want some assurance.

Hello.

So these are questions for all the ladies. For those who engage in anal sex, how many years have you been having it? Have you've had...

12-30-2020, 08:01 PM By yrtxzh5a47
                        Working...
                        X