Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paragard IUD Experience (GOOD!)

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Paragard IUD Experience (GOOD!)

Hi, I'm new! I just have to shout it from the rooftops...

It's been my experience that people who are unsatisfied with the outcome of something are much louder than people who are satisfied with the outcome of something. So, in an effort to balance out the bad press, here's my Paragard experience.

I am 28, one pregnancy, married. I have struggled with different forms of HBC for the last 5-6 years. I've gained a collossal amount of weight, chronic yest infections, regular BV infections (never had the infection problem before HBC) my moodswings have gotten much worse and I am now officially someone with generalized anxiety disorder and severe depression. I hit bottom a couple of months ago when I felt suicidal for what seemed like no good reason. I've pill hopped..only to get spotting, severe stomach cramps during that time of the month, IBS, just a total nightmare. I'm fed up. And I'm married, so, using condoms or other barrier methods just don't seem to make sense to me.

I made the decision to get Paragard about a month and a half ago. I went to PLanned Parenthood and they operate on sliding scale in my state. Paragard cost me nothing except a nominal donation. I went in for my consultation and I had plenty of questions for her, all of which she answered to my satisfaction. She seemed very confident that I was an ideal candidate for this form of BC. She explained to call for my insertion when my next period started and they would get me in in the 7 day window. She also recommended that I take 400-800 mg of ibuprofen before I went in. I was all set.

3 weeks later, my p came. I called, they fit me in (close call though as it was a holiday weekend!) right on the 6th day of my cycle. I took 800mg of ibuprofen (hey I'm a sissy) and went in first thing in the morning. They ran some tests (hemoglobin, pregnancy, STD) all which came out just fine. Time for insertion. The experience was much like going in for a pap. Undress from the waist down, here's your sheet, sit on the edge of the table. She inserted the speculum (fun), then clamped my cervix (even more fun. I'm warning you, this doesn't feel "good" by any means. It's uncomfortable) then she sounded me. The sounding was akin to having someone tugging on your intestines. It was very uncomfortable and didn't feel good. I had to take deep breaths and wiggle my toes to keep myself from squealing and squirming. That was over with pretty quickly. She inserted the paraguard applicator, I felt a very quick sharp pinch and some deep cramping. Then she took everything out, told me to get dressed and that was it. I don't mean to downplay the uncomfortableness of this, but if you can get pierced or tattooed, I think you could handle this.

I asked her when i could have sex again and she told me 7 days. I guess this is for a number of reasons. You are at a high risk of infection during this time because the ob/gyn or NP performing this basically swabs out all of the "good stuff" in there. Give your ladyparts time to repopulate their little friends. Also, your cervix will probably be very tender and sensitive from the trauma of this procedure. Also, you could quite possibly bleed. Paragard supposedly works right away, but they gave me condoms to use in case I HAD to have sex in this 7 day window just in case. Yeah, no way was that happening. I bled (kind of like a light period, spotting with a heavier day or two) for approximately 5 days following insertion. Mostly on and off and nothing that a pantyliner or thin pad couldn't handle. I felt deep cramps, although not severe enough to double me over or make me clutch my tummy. They feel more like when you do 100 situps (except lower) along with some back pain and gas (I think your abs get super active from doing all of that tensing up). Today is day 6, no bleeding, cramps are pretty much gone so I would say her 7 day window is pretty accurate. If you're considering having this done, give yourself at least a week to fully recover. Yes other women have easier experiences, but I would consider myself to be "average". I have taken a regimen of ibuprofen and vitamin E daily...2 ibuprofen in the morning with a 400 mg vitamin E softgel. That really seemed to help stop the bleeding and help with the cramps during the course of the week.

Now, I am excited to "test drive" my copper buddy (which I have nicknamed Trixie..hahah) but will give myself another day or two to finish healing and letting my lower abs relax. They really didn't like something being shoved in there! I haven't gotten my first period with paragard yet, but I am seeing a trend with other ladies who have it. Women who have had difficulties with their cycle, like heavu bleeding, spotting, heavy cramps...will probably have issues with paragard. My p was always pretty "easy", so a few more cramps and a heavier flow hopefully won't bother me too much. Also, I notice, a lot of women who have extreme issues the first few weeks on paragard are coming off years of HBC...which naturally screws up your normal cycle.

As of today, it's smooth sailing. If you are having issues on HBC and are allergic to latex or don't wish to use barriers, I would recommend the copper IUD. I guess women who have issues with their cycles do pretty well on mirena, but it wasn't an option for me since I have issues with the hormones. Again getting the IUD wasn't a pleasant or fun experience, but I think a week off is a small price to pay for 10 years of protection! I would suggest having someone drive you home and if you have someone at home to take care of you, get that lined up too. Treat yourself as if you are off sick for a day or two. Some women can return to their regular activities right away, but hey, why not milk it, right? I also found getting up and walking aorund after the first day really helped with the back pain and cramping. Good luck ladies, and I hope this helped anyone who is considering this form of BC.
    Last edited by megzypants; 09-13-2010, 12:47 PM.

• Hello Megzy,

I too have the paraguard. I got mine in April of this year. I considered my experience really good. The insertion went GREAT. I took 3 advils before getting the IUD inserted and I'm not exaggerating when I say It was not bad AT ALL. Not sure if this is because I had prepared myself for excruciating pain (I had a friend that had gotten her mirena put in about a month before me and she was in so much paid she vomitted and nearly fainted!), or if I have a high tolerance for pain, but I really didn't feel much. I have never had a child but wanted birth control that did not contain hormones so I talked to my Gyno about the paraguard. He suggested that I was not the best candidate but I insisted and the rest is history!

My period was a little heavier than usual for the first 3 months or so. But that is not saying much when you consider I was (and still am) a very lucky girl as my period has always been a breeze (Very light and lasting no more than 5 days and cramps were a huge rarity). Up until June my period was a bit more heavy, and I have experienced more cramps than usual, but these have by no means been "painful". As of July my period has pretty much returned to its normal self, with the exception of the length. As i said before, pre-paraguard by period lasted for no more than 5 days, with 4 days being the norm, now its more like 5-7 days that it last. So not an extreme change, but a change all the same.

I totally agree with you that it is important to talk about positive experiences, b/c majority of what I found when I was doing my research were negative experiences.

Comment

• Ok I got the paragard yesterday. I did not take any drugs and it did not hurt at all. I didnt have any cramps, well none that were noticable to me. Now the thing it when I walk sometimes it feels as though it is pinching me? Did anyone else have this problem? Because if it will continue like this I dont want to keep it in.

Comment

• When I go to see my doctor again I will be asking her about getting an IUD. I'm on birth control now but the hormones have my system so messed up that I'm getting pretty tired of it. Within the 3 years I've been on this pill I've gained 20 pounds, my sex drive has decreased quite a bit, i'm dealing more with migraines and stomach pains, etc. I talked to my mom about this and she doesn't think my doctor will give it to me because I've never had kids but we'll see. Don't know if I want her doing it though since she fails at doing my pap tests. Sounds like it's something right up my alley since I can't lose a pound to save my life and it would be nice not having to take a pill every night.

How exactly does the IUD work? Is it placed behind the Cervix or something? How does it stop unwanted pregnancies? Guess those are the only things I haven't been able to figure out with it.

Comment

• TaTala- I have never experience the feeling you are describing. You may want to go the doctor and have your gyno check to be sure it hasn't shifted or is still in the correct position.

Winged Muse- There are 2 different IUDs, one you obviously would not want (the Mirena) because it works with hormones. The Paragard is the IUD that has copper basically wrapped around it. They have a website. If you google "paragard" the website should be the first result. Anyway it is actually placed in the uterus (the "I" in IUD means "interuterine"). This is why they suggest it for those who have had children (cervix has dialated before and the uterus is supposed to be more "flexible"). Noone REALLY knows how the copper IUD works. There are a few theories of how the copper that is wrapped around the paragard help to prevent preganancy... according to a website "The contraceptive effectiveness of ParaGard® is enhanced by copper continuously released into the uterine cavity. Possible mechanism(s) by which copper enhances contraceptive efficacy include interference with sperm transport or fertilization, and prevention of implantation"

And don't be afraid about the copper, our bodies have copper in them natually!

You should definitly do your own research before you make this decision that way you know about all the possible risk and know if you could handle them. I know I did LOTS of research (but I am a bit of an obsessive compulsive when it comes to researching things)
          Anyway... good luch

Comment

• The best thing since sliced bread!

It was about as painful as a typical pap smear to have inserted, and far less awkward than a bikini wax. For me the tough part was keeping my schedule flexible during the time when I expected my period to arrive. Before my insertion, I was given a prescription for cytotec, which I inserted vaginally the night before my appointment. Cytotec (or misoprostol) is a prostaglandin which helps the cervix soften. I was told to go ahead and use a tampon overnight to keep the medicine in place. My doctor was able to see me on day two of my period, and the actual insertion took about 2 or 3 minutes. Just like your annual appointment, you sit on a paper sheet, an absorbent pad and with your feet in the stirrups the doctor takes a look at your cervix. I was worried that since I haven't had children I might fall into the group of women who have a cervix too small to accommodate the IUD. I think that is one reason my doctor had me use the cytotec.

The insertion was no more painful than any pap smear I've had. I did have a little cramping after, but I took a couple of ibuprofen and felt just fine. I had to pay full price for mine, and it cost $700. I asked for a parts and labor break down and was told the IUD itself cost $550, labor for the insertion was $150. I know that might seem like a lot up front, but if you are paying full price for the pill, it is cheaper in about a year. When you consider that the copper IUD lasts 10 years and has no hormonal side effects (a big plus for me), you really can't beat the value!
            When I asked if there was anything I could do to make the chances of infection smaller, he told me to not have more than one sexual partner. I imagine it's like honeymoon cystitis, just exposure to too many new bacteria. I'll get back in a few months with a long-range update, but so far I LOVE MY IUD!

Comment

• I also have had a positive experience with Paragard (inserted 9 years ago) and will soon go to have it replaced. I was advised to take pain reliever beforehand, and it was pretty much like a pap smear. Felt a little "ping!" when the little arms popped open, and had a slight vagal (basically a very dizzy/lightheaded moment soon afterward taht goes away in a few moments) but no other problems. A little bleeding for the first few weeks and all systems normal since then.

I am one of those who cannot use any hormonal method, and I am allergic to nickel so Essure is out. Since pregnancy at my age and with various health conditions would be risky, dh and I have decided that our one wonderful daughter is definitely it. He WILL NOT get snipped and I don't particularly want to go get my tubes tied (nor does insurance pay for this), so it'll be a copper IUD again.

I'm disturbed by all the misinformation out there on how IUDs work. If you look at the website of the National Libraries of Medicine and go to their journals records and type in IUD mechanism of action, you'll find that there are studies demonstrating that the copper IUD (1) makes the vagina and cervix inhospitable to sperm (2) affects the ability of eggs to be released and/or fertilized in the uterus, in addition to it not allowing fertilized eggs to implant properly. It is NOT an abortifacient in my opinion, as it prevents the two things necessary for pregnancy to be clinically confirmed: (1) fertilization and (2) implantation (you can't be pregnant if the egg isn't implanted!! yes, all those IVF embryos are POTENTIALLY pregnancies, but they require successful implantation to really be a pregnancy).

Comment

• How do you know if your allergic to Nickel?? I am thinking of getting this done. My doc recommened this for me or Essure. Have to research both. I'm 50 so no more kids. I've had horrible yeast infections so i can't use a diaphram anymore because of the spermacides. I'm seriously considering the Paragard.

Comment

• Paragard still good?

I know it's been some time since you've posted this and of course I'm not even sure you'll check this BUT...

I wondering if you still feel the same about Paragard. I am seriously considering trying it and it was really nice to see some positive review, because as you said be complain far more than they compliment...

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance,

Billie

Originally posted by megzypants View Post

It's been my experience that people who are unsatisfied with the outcome of something are much louder than people who are satisfied with the outcome of something. So, in an effort to balance out the bad press, here's my Paragard experience.

I am 28, one pregnancy, married. I have struggled with different forms of HBC for the last 5-6 years. I've gained a collossal amount of weight, chronic yest infections, regular BV infections (never had the infection problem before HBC) my moodswings have gotten much worse and I am now officially someone with generalized anxiety disorder and severe depression. I hit bottom a couple of months ago when I felt suicidal for what seemed like no good reason. I've pill hopped..only to get spotting, severe stomach cramps during that time of the month, IBS, just a total nightmare. I'm fed up. And I'm married, so, using condoms or other barrier methods just don't seem to make sense to me.

I made the decision to get Paragard about a month and a half ago. I went to PLanned Parenthood and they operate on sliding scale in my state. Paragard cost me nothing except a nominal donation. I went in for my consultation and I had plenty of questions for her, all of which she answered to my satisfaction. She seemed very confident that I was an ideal candidate for this form of BC. She explained to call for my insertion when my next period started and they would get me in in the 7 day window. She also recommended that I take 400-800 mg of ibuprofen before I went in. I was all set.

3 weeks later, my p came. I called, they fit me in (close call though as it was a holiday weekend!) right on the 6th day of my cycle. I took 800mg of ibuprofen (hey I'm a sissy) and went in first thing in the morning. They ran some tests (hemoglobin, pregnancy, STD) all which came out just fine. Time for insertion. The experience was much like going in for a pap. Undress from the waist down, here's your sheet, sit on the edge of the table. She inserted the speculum (fun), then clamped my cervix (even more fun. I'm warning you, this doesn't feel "good" by any means. It's uncomfortable) then she sounded me. The sounding was akin to having someone tugging on your intestines. It was very uncomfortable and didn't feel good. I had to take deep breaths and wiggle my toes to keep myself from squealing and squirming. That was over with pretty quickly. She inserted the paraguard applicator, I felt a very quick sharp pinch and some deep cramping. Then she took everything out, told me to get dressed and that was it. I don't mean to downplay the uncomfortableness of this, but if you can get pierced or tattooed, I think you could handle this.

I asked her when i could have sex again and she told me 7 days. I guess this is for a number of reasons. You are at a high risk of infection during this time because the ob/gyn or NP performing this basically swabs out all of the "good stuff" in there. Give your ladyparts time to repopulate their little friends. Also, your cervix will probably be very tender and sensitive from the trauma of this procedure. Also, you could quite possibly bleed. Paragard supposedly works right away, but they gave me condoms to use in case I HAD to have sex in this 7 day window just in case. Yeah, no way was that happening. I bled (kind of like a light period, spotting with a heavier day or two) for approximately 5 days following insertion. Mostly on and off and nothing that a pantyliner or thin pad couldn't handle. I felt deep cramps, although not severe enough to double me over or make me clutch my tummy. They feel more like when you do 100 situps (except lower) along with some back pain and gas (I think your abs get super active from doing all of that tensing up). Today is day 6, no bleeding, cramps are pretty much gone so I would say her 7 day window is pretty accurate. If you're considering having this done, give yourself at least a week to fully recover. Yes other women have easier experiences, but I would consider myself to be "average". I have taken a regimen of ibuprofen and vitamin E daily...2 ibuprofen in the morning with a 400 mg vitamin E softgel. That really seemed to help stop the bleeding and help with the cramps during the course of the week.

Now, I am excited to "test drive" my copper buddy (which I have nicknamed Trixie..hahah) but will give myself another day or two to finish healing and letting my lower abs relax. They really didn't like something being shoved in there! I haven't gotten my first period with paragard yet, but I am seeing a trend with other ladies who have it. Women who have had difficulties with their cycle, like heavu bleeding, spotting, heavy cramps...will probably have issues with paragard. My p was always pretty "easy", so a few more cramps and a heavier flow hopefully won't bother me too much. Also, I notice, a lot of women who have extreme issues the first few weeks on paragard are coming off years of HBC...which naturally screws up your normal cycle.

As of today, it's smooth sailing. If you are having issues on HBC and are allergic to latex or don't wish to use barriers, I would recommend the copper IUD. I guess women who have issues with their cycles do pretty well on mirena, but it wasn't an option for me since I have issues with the hormones. Again getting the IUD wasn't a pleasant or fun experience, but I think a week off is a small price to pay for 10 years of protection! I would suggest having someone drive you home and if you have someone at home to take care of you, get that lined up too. Treat yourself as if you are off sick for a day or two. Some women can return to their regular activities right away, but hey, why not milk it, right? I also found getting up and walking aorund after the first day really helped with the back pain and cramping. Good luck ladies, and I hope this helped anyone who is considering this form of BC.

Comment

• Hey everyone! I'm new here! I joined specifically b/c I was SO excited to hear POSITIVE feedback on Paragard!!
                    I have a slightly different circumstance (I think?) than most I have seen posted on this topic and have been considering it for the last year.. I have a fiancée and so just have one partner, but I know I cannot try the Mirena for ****several**** reasons. 1.) I have NEVER done well on HBC.. 2.) I am Bipolar type 2, and so I am told, the copper does not interfere with my bipolar med's, and vice~versa! 3.) I LIKE knowing I'll have a period each month!! (I would be way too afraid of not knowing if I were pregnant or not!! 4.) I've also heard that the Mirena kills sex drives, and that is important to my fiancée & I! ...the only qualms I have is the severe bleeding, and the constant pain, &/or feeling that I could feel of starting or having my period all the time?? :0 I am 32, have never been pregnant or had a child, & have not been on ANY birth control for over a year.. (we just use the ****withdrawl**** method which is very irresponsible & dangerous :/ ) I have always had moderate- to heavy periods, and pretty strong cramps the first few days of my cycle, and my periods last for up to 7-8 days.. (mainly spotting the last 3) So I'm a little nervous about it making my periods worse? Or it making me feel "whacky" or not ****feeling**** like having sex!?
                    Does, has, or does anyone know of someone who has bipolar that has gone ahead and gotten the Paragard w/ a Bipolar type 2 diagnosis?? Just curious?? I'm pretty dead set on getting it put in THIS MONTH!! Mixed concerns... But mostly excited!!
                    Thanks Everyone!!

Comment

• 2nd IUD & still happy!

Hi all!
                      I am 47 and currently in my 8th year of my second IUD (I am not bi-polar, so can't speak to that part of the ?). The second IUD, since I kept my first until it had to come out, I had two children and then had another inserted. It has been the best birth control I've ever had. I am very sensitive to hormones and allergic to the nonoxynol-9 in the over-the-counter forms of BC (including condoms), so the Paragard is ideal. I have to say that the increase in bleeding has been more since having children than when I had my IUD before having children, thus I can't attribute it only to the IUD, but think it is more because of uterine changes of childbirth. Also, if one is going from HBC, which reduces flow, the increase would be greater than if it is following normal, unmedicated flow.

I've never had any of the feelings you described, but I never was told to expect them either. If you are sensitive to suggestion, others may psych you into having these feelings, but you don't have to take it on! Only lack of sex-drive has been from lack of connection to my partner, nothing I can contribute to the IUD.

The insertion is not that intense, although it pinches and cramps. From what I remember, cramps for the first couple months were a little more, then went back to pre-IUD levels. Removal is a little more uncomfortable, but again nothing compared to, say, a UTI. The convenience and affordability, even at 500, is well worth the price and momentary discomfort.

If for some reason you find yourself with multiple partners in the future, just remember to use a condom, even if it's without the spermicide, to protect yourself from STD's !

Good Luck!

Originally posted by megzypants View Post

Comment

• I wanted to post my experience so hopefully someone could see some positive feeback (just like all of you). I did my reaserchand after getting pregnant on the pill I wanted to ensure it didn't happen again.

I am 25 and engaged. I have used birth control since I was 16 and never had a problem until about 6 months ago when I found out I was pregnant. I was one of those 1% that got pregnant on the pill. We were not ready for the pregnany (hence the borth control) and decided to have an abortion. Afterwards by doctor recommended an IUD as a more effective form of BC, but I wanted to wait, recover and do my research. Since tehn I went back on birth control pills after trying Nuvaring for a day and not being happy with it. Birth Control failed me and each month I was waiting, starring at the toilet and talking to my stomach saying..."Please start!" Before I never worried about it but now was stressed each month. So after researching and talking to friends I decided to try it. My three concerns are/were:
                        1. That my partner could feel it (the strings)
                        2. The heavy periods (according to reviews)
                        3. That it couls get dislodged
                        Bringing these all up with my physician she said she is very pro Paragard and thought I would be an excellent canidate. She also brought up the fact that it is more effective than the pill and the copper gives you a double line of defense against fertilization occuring. She als addressed the heavy periods and the string issues, saying the strings should soften a little as they are in longer and has never had a problem with any other patientsfeeling them during intercourse and tht the period heaviness is usually the same as before (ie if you had really bad periods before you most likely continue to remain the same). Personally my periods have always been irregular and was one of the reasons I went on the pill to begin with.

So far I would say my experience has been normal. The visit was similar to a pap appointment. I took to aspirin before, after reading others advice. When she measured my uterus I felt a good cramp! I am not crampy normally, so this was a 6 on my scale, but tolerable. She placed the Paragard and I felt another cramp, around a 7, and it was done. I am on my period and she said I should have spotting for the remiander of the day and to not have sex for 5-7 days. She also mentioned the only cases she has seen where people dislodge their IUDs or they come out are those people that have intercourse or use tampons in the first week of insertion, so I'm sticking to Drs orders!

I had the procedure at 8:00am. It's now 1pm and I have had only mild spotting as she said, still on the same thin Maxi pad, and mild cramping on and off. Just took another aspirin to calm everything down, but so far I think I am having atextbook first day. I will keep posting over the next couple days, weeks and months to hopefully keep spreading the positive word about Paragard!

Comment

• Just updating my post!!

I got Paragard placed on Thursday of last week. It's Monday (day 5) and things are still going GREAT!! I had cramping the first day (typical to normal period cramps) but they continued to fade into the evening of the second day and then stopped all together. I wore a regular maxi pad through the week and continued to spot. Very light spotting, one pad for the whole day. I switched to a panty liner this morning and have a little light spotting but that's what the liner is for.

I felt for the strings after the 4th day, making sure I had time to heal. I tried in the shower first and was discouraged when I couldn't locate them. After some paniked reading I learned the best way is to sit down and try. After doing this I was able to feel the tiny ends right around my cervix (feels like the end of a pear but more rubbery). They felt like tiny fishing lines. I will check again in 3 days to make sure everything is in place and should be back to 100% after day 7!

Still loving Paragard!

Comment

• Hey everyone!
                            I too have read awful reviews of Paragard, however I'm guessing that most people that review have had negative experiences. I got my Paragard two days ago and it's been pretty smooth so far. I actually forgot to take ibuprofen that day and the insertion was still okay. Although, When going in to get Paragard make sure you EAT first. It was a crazy day the day I got it so by the time of my appointment I'd barely eaten a thing. As a result I got dizzy and very pale and sweaty after, luckily my boyfriend was out in the waiting room with an oreo mcflurry for me which perked me right up. I did have a bit of cramps the next few days, long showers and baths seemed to ease it. I'm doing great now, still a little tender and crampy, but not even as bad as a period. It's only been a few days so ill keep my thread updated for any changes!

Comment

• I'm also new here, and trying to decide if paragard is right for me. I'll be 28 in 2 weeks, and never been on HBC. I just had my second baby 4 weeks ago so of course they want to know about contraceptives at my 6 week apt. I'm leaning towards paragard because it is non hormonal. I'm just afraid what the hormones would do to me (I tend to be naturally very sensitive homone wise). My hubby and I have always used condoms and never had scares, only conceiving when wanted. I'm against getting my tubes tied. I think I've convinced him to get snipped, but I don't know if I wanna go that route right away. I thought about the IUD for 5 yrs, and if by that time we hadn't lost our minds and decided to have another baby, then he would get snipped. I'm just really worried of course about heavier periods. I was never regular until after my first pregnancy, but I've always been heavy usually with cramping the first couple days. My gyno told me that every woman she's done paragard on has gotten heavier flow. One woman, even after being warned, still got it in. Only to come back 6 months later to have it removed because it was so bad. I just hate that it basically comes down to weather or not I wanna deal with a worse period. I really don't want to end up having to get it removed later because its so bad. Anyone with already heavy periods have any experience? I noticed the girls that had experience said theirs were generally light already.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X