Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paragard IUD Experience (GOOD!)

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• After much deliberation between Paraguard and Mirena, this morning I officially had Paraguard implanted! I wanted to share my experience and keep updated because before going in I had read so many horror stories about both IUD versions that I had essentially talked myself out of it! After meeting with my doctor and answering my millions of questions, we decided Paraguard was the better option because I do not respond well to the hormones in most birth control methods. I had the implant inserted this morning, I'm 27 and have never had children so she said the insertion may be a little intense for me because my cervix and uterus has essentially never been dilated. The insertion was intense just two short sessions of intense cramping, but then it was over! I honestly would not recommend this if I thought the procedure was unbearable, but it was not and it is over so quickly, so worth it. I was up and getting dressed within a few minutes! I have had cramping since the procedure but 800mg of ibuprofen has caused a major improvement. I'm having some light spotting now as the day goes on but nothing a pantiliner can't handle! My fear is the heavier periods but I've never had bad periods anyway so I will keep posted for everyone in a few days and when I start getting periods! I just wanted to share, after all the horror stories I read, my good experience so far!

Comment

• Today I had the Para guard inserted! I was quite nervous beforehand and I wish I would've expected more and read more feedback on personal experiences before going to get it because I would've known to take some medicine before my doctor appointment. It would have helped ALOT !!! I think it was so painful for the insertion because I'm only 20 years old and have had no children. The main pain I had were the cramps as the doctor was putting it in and I felt like everything was being stretched but it only took a split second for them to do it. I will add that I was very nauseous afterwards and I wish I would've had someone to drive me home but as soon as I made it home I went to change my pad from the spotting it caused, I put on some loose clothing, took 800 mg of ibuprofen, and got in bed with my heating pad. I also might add that the doctor said its a great idea to be on your period because it allows the cervix to open more. The only thing I regret is not taking pain medicine before the procedure but I don't regret getting the para guard so far... I'll see how it goes! This is only day 1. And I'm glad the para guard has no hormones and last 10 years! Oh and I don't know if it's just me but it tricks my body into thinking I need to go number 2 a lot when I really don't so I have to force myself to go... One good hint is to keep some pain meds by your side for the first week at all times!

Comment

• So far, so good

I had a paraguard inserted 3 weeks ago. I'm 29 years old, never been married or pregnant. The pills to soften my cervix made my abdomen very, very sore and it was painful to walk to the subway to get to the doctor's office. (I live in a city and walk everywhere, so that was uncomfortable.) The insertion REALLY hurt but the pain wasn't as bad as an ovarian cyst that I had last year. I did have to take a cab back to my apartment rather than the subway -- and I felt like I was going to vomit from pain during the car ride. I went home, took ibuprofen, and fell asleep. When I woke up, I felt fine! I felt normal for the next couple of days and then cramped tremendously on day 3 or 4 (which I attributed to being dehydrated.) Ever since then, I've hardly noticed it. I still get a crampy pang every now and then -- I guess when my cervix shifts position -- but nothing to scream about. I have not started my period yet since having the paraguard inserted, so we'll see how that goes. So far, so good!

FYI, I am not in a relationship right now and have not had sex since the insertion, so can't comment on that either. (I decided to "go for it" upon realizing that my current insurance plan would pay for 100% of it. I got tired of yo-yo-ing between birth control methods after every new relationship.) Oddly, it showed up on a full-body airport scanner a couple of weeks ago when I was traveling -- but only for the scanner on the return trip, not the departure. (Anyone else had problems with that?)

As a side note, I am proud that this is the FIRST birth control that I've used that was entirely my decision (no annoying boyfriend whining for me to get on a pill that makes me sick and crazy). So far, it has been the best birth control that I've ever had. And THE MOST cost effective.

Comment

• Hi I am updating my post after experiencing quite a few unpleasant symptoms over the past few weeks that I'm now realizing are probably related to the iud. I can deal with heavy periods and cramping but these go well beyond that. After reading up on my symptoms I've come to the conclusion that I have some degree of copper toxicity. I want this copper stick OUT of my body!! Since having it, I've experienced the following:

-grand mal seizure (I have no history of seizures) about 10 days after insertion. Required hospitalization.
          -headaches (no history of headaches)
          - insomnia
          - night sweats / increased body temp during day
          - severe depression
          - anxiety
          - severe pms (no previous history)
          - sore breasts
          - lighter period, oddly enough
          - abdominal cramps (expected)
          - cravings for certain foods ( coffee, avocados, chocolate)
          - moodiness
          - mental fog / forgetfulness
          - dry mouth
          - increased breakouts and skin problems

This thing sucks. I want it out!

Comment

• I think I would totally go for the Paraguard if it weren't for my extensive experience with horrifying cramps. I have been taking a calcium supplement for a while now, though, so I haven't had cramps like that in a while. Still, I'm not sure if the calcium would help against cramps caused by Paraguard.

I want to go to the gyno soon to see if they will give me the Skyla IUD. I just hope my insurance covers it. I'm also worried that I might have to take off of work, which is something I never do unless there is a dire emergency.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
            X