Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

essure failure

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• essure failure

I had essure done in July. I could not have laproscopy due to adhesions from surgery when I was a baby. Everythign I have read says that most women had blocked tubes after 3 mos and 100% after 6 months (unless the coils were misplaced or fell out).

Well my coils were placed fine but after 6 months & 2 HSG's I am still having a small amount of dye leaking. This means it didn't work. I cannot find any info about other women where this has happened. Is there any one else who had Essure, coils were placed properly, but still do not have blockage after 6 mos?

I am so disgusted. 3 years ago I had 2 miscarriages, learned I have a chromosomal anomaly, spent 20K on 2 IVF tries that didn't work. We decide to give up, donate our babies (embryos) to research hoping it will help someone else, and get sterilized.

Well you know what they say "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." I can't have kids but I can't NOT have kids. If I get pregnant now there's a high risk of ectopic because of the coils and even if it would attach, there's a good chance of miscarriage or having a baby with trisomy 13 (which means certain death shortly after birth).

Thanks for letting me vent. Does anyone have any info on Essure not blocking the tubes?

• just click on the what is essure its a link.....
    LYNNE

Comment

• Hi teacher40.

I was scheduled to have Essure surgery about a year and a half ago and cancelled the day before because I felt that there just wasn't enough info about what is done if the implants have to be removed. The Essure website is sponsored by Essure so, of course, they only post what makes them look good. There are no testimonials from women who've had problems. I've been following a thread on another forum on the topic of Essure. I don't think I can post a link, but you can try a Google search under 'Essure ?'. You should see it on the first page that comes up. Maybe there'll be something of interest to you. I'm sorry about what you've been through and that I don't have any experience to share, but I hope that you'll find the answers that you're looking for.

Comment

• p.s.-Have you spoken to anyone at their 877#?

Comment

• Teacher40

teacher40 I was wondering why if you got pregnant the baby would or could have trisomy 13? I had essure done in Oct. and now I am pregnant and worried that I wont have a healthy baby. The baby is attached to my uterus. My doc. told me that he thinks that the coil fell out of one of my tubes. He can not tell me where the coil is located at this time. It is most likley still in my uterus. I am very concerned and cant find much info about my situation on the web.

Comment

• Stacey, didn't you use backup birth control for the first 3 months after your procedure?

Comment

• Yes, I was given a birth control shot. but it wore off. I was scheduled for a dye test but when I got there they told me that they would have to reschedul because the test could only be done the week after my period or it could cause indemetreouses. he told me to call on the lastday omy next period. I never went and got another shot. I never started my period and here I am.

Comment

• Trisomy 13

The cause of trisomy 13 is unknown. Unless you have a genetic issue related to translocation of genetic material there is no way to determine that you or any mother with any issue can have a trisomy 13 baby. Perhaps there is cause to worry but not about trisomy 13.

Comment

• Essure Failure

Just wanted to share my Essure nightmare with you. I am 27 yrs old, I am the mother of 2 girls 8yrs and 3yrs. My husband and I decided that we didn't want to have anymore children so I elected to have the essure procedure performed. My procedure went fine, no complications, but I noticed that I could "feel" the inserts inside my body. It was an uncomfortable feeling kinda like a splinter in your finger. YUCK! So about 6 months later I developed extreme ab pain. I went to my doc told him what was going on. He examined me and I almost came off of the table and punched him. So then he sent me for an unltrasound. That revelied that my fallopian tubes we swollen. So I am waiting to have sugery on tuesday. I am in extream pain, so severe that it took me to the emergency room last night. The doc on call for my doc basiclly told me to go home and deal with the pain. JERK! I am requesting a culture of the infected area and I want anything that they take out of my body. I am very upset over this. I know they will remove my tubes on Tuesday, but they may have to take out my uterus also. I don't think that there is enough research on this Essure to deam it safe.

Comment

• Me too!!

Hi Teacher40,

I had the same thing happen. My procedure was in June 2006. I have heard of one other case in Australia, around the same time as mine. So I don't think this happens a lot, but is apparently more common than Essure would like us to think. I, too, read all of the information available before making my decision and believed the "100% occlusion at 6 months" claim. I'm wondering if maybe there was a bad batch of inserts produced that just aren't stimulating the scar tissue like they're supposed to.

In my case, occlusion only failed in one tube. My doctor contacted the company and the response was, "Hmmm. That's weird. Try another HSG in a few months and see what happens." I don't know about you, but two was enough for me

One of the doctors on the Essure board of physicians practices in my area, so I saw her to see if she had any further input. I don't know if she has any ties to the company... but she told me that she thought that the implant had poked through the tube and was partially on the outside, in my abdomen - but that it was "nothing to worry about" and I didn't need to be concerned or try to have it removed. She suggested that I just remain on the pill or that I could get a second implant on that side - just ram it in there along with the first. Since my initial gynecologist and the two different doctors that performed the HSGs did not determine that the implant was out of place, I find that explanation hard to believe - although I guess anything is possible.

At that point, I didn't want to wait any longer and wasn't willing to risk pregnancy, so follwed up with a surgical tubal ligation a few months later.

I know how frustrating this is for you, feeling like you're in this limbo - but must be compounded by the fact that you can't get a surgical TL to "finish the job".

Have you had another HSG since the 6-month follow up to see if maybe more time did/would help in your case? Is it maybe an option for your husband to have a vasectomy so you can have some closure to the whole ordeal?

Lilly

Comment

• Essure question

My daughter, 40 years old and a smoker, is scheduled for this procedure in a couple of weeks. The 1st week of May she lost a baby at 4-1/2 months. She and everyone else feels that she just can't go through that again. Besides the trauma of losing a baby, she carried it for almost a month. It took 3 days in the hospital for the medication to work and labor to start so she could deliver her dead baby. She had the birth control shot when she went back for her check-up but time has run out on that or at least it's about to run out. 3 different GYN's have told her she shouldn't take birth control pills because of her age and the fact that she smokes. She's apprehensive about this procedure and I think she's right to be. The other option is tubal litigation. I had this done when she was born (she's my 4th) and had no problems AT ALL. I understand that this procedure has even changed and now, with all the medical advances and technology, it's not that simple any longer. I still wonder just how safe this ESSURE is. Any help will be appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by pbjones42 View Post
                        My daughter, 40 years old and a smoker, is scheduled for this procedure in a couple of weeks. The 1st week of May she lost a baby at 4-1/2 months. She and everyone else feels that she just can't go through that again. Besides the trauma of losing a baby, she carried it for almost a month. It took 3 days in the hospital for the medication to work and labor to start so she could deliver her dead baby. She had the birth control shot when she went back for her check-up but time has run out on that or at least it's about to run out. 3 different GYN's have told her she shouldn't take birth control pills because of her age and the fact that she smokes. She's apprehensive about this procedure and I think she's right to be. The other option is tubal litigation. I had this done when she was born (she's my 4th) and had no problems AT ALL. I understand that this procedure has even changed and now, with all the medical advances and technology, it's not that simple any longer. I still wonder just how safe this ESSURE is. Any help will be appreciated.
                        HI !! I AM 38 AND JUST HAD ESSURE DONE YESTERDAY. I AM ALSO A SMOKER. I ALSO HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,TYPE II DIABETES AND HIGH CHOLESTEROL. I HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER AND MY HUSBAND IS 51. I WANTED KIDS ALL OF MY LIFE. WHEN I WAS TOLD I HAD TYPE II DIABETES AND THEY GAVE ME PILLS TO TAKE. IT WAS THE BEST FERTILITY DRUG I COULD EVER HAVE GOTTEN !! I TRIED FOR 13 YEARS. WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE !! I HAD TWINS BUT ONE DIDN'T MAKE IT. SHE LIVED FOR ONLY 16 DAYS. I WASN'T DUE UNTIL 5/17/04 AND THEY WERE BORN 2/14/04. AT 38 I THOUGHT WELL THIS IS GOOD ENOUGH. GOD GAVE ME WHAT I WANT. I WENT LAST YEAR TO GET MY TUBES TIED AND WHEN I WOKE UP THE DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT HE DIDN'T TIE MY TUBES !! I ALREADY HAD MY LEFT TUBE AND OVARY TAKEN OUT 11 YEARS AGO AND HE DIDN'T KNOW THAT. HE KNEW ABOUT MY OVARY BUT NOT MY TUBE. SO, INSTEAD OF TYING THE ONE HE SEEN, HE DIDN'T TIE ANYTHING !! WITH MY HEALTH, IT WAS RISKY GETTING PUT TO SLEEP IN THE FIRST PLACE. HE SAID THAT IT WOULD BE TOO RISKY TOO PUT ME ASLEEP AGAIN. HE ALSO SAID THAT ANOTHER BIRTH COULD CAUSE ME TO DIE. I SEEN AN AD ABOUT ESSURE AND THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE THE BEST THING FOR ME TO DO. OF COURSE I WON'T KNOW IF IT TOOK UNTIL THREE MONTHS PASS. I WILL JUST PRAY !! GETTING ESSURE DONE WAS PAINFUL. BUT, NOT AS PAINFUL AS A LOT OF THINGS I'VE BEEN THROUGH. I GOT RIGHT UP AND WALKED OUT OF THE OFFICE AND HAD CRAMPING FOR MAYBE ABOUT 15 MINUTES. THE MORE TIME WENT ON, THE LESS PAIN I WAS IN. WITH THE TIME IT TOOK (45 MINUTES) AND BEING ABLE TO WALK OUT OF THE OFFICE LIKE NOTHING EVER HAPPENED WAS GREAT !! SINCE BIRTH CONTROL IS TOO RISKY, I GET THE DEPO SHOT EVERY THREE MONTHS. HOPEFULLY SEPTEMBER WILL BE THE LAST ONE !! I HOPE THIS HELPS !!

Comment

• never even heard of essure. hope everything goes well with your surgery skblackmar. just stick to the pill next time. or abstinance. LOL.....................

Comment

• Essure coil expelled!

I had a similar experience in that after 3 months, the dye still did not show a blockage of the tube on one side. I had to go back 3 months later and have the test done again. At that time, the blockage was confirmed on both sides.

To back up, I scheduled the Essure procedure for March of 2007. I was told I needed to have a shot of Depo Provera at the onset of my period the month before to help thin the lining of my uterus. I got the depo shot in February. I spotted daily from it, along with the monthly period. When in June my test did not show a blockage, my doctor had me get another depo shot. I wasn't wild about the idea, but I did it anyhow. This was in June. Spotted daily until November of 2007. Then, started getting my period about every 14-20 days and it's super heavy. This has been ongoing.

I mentioned this at my annual exam and doc ordered blood tests (came back normal) and an ultrasound which the tech (a) saw the essure coils in my tubes and (b) saw numerous tiny cysts on my ovaries. He took an endometrial biopsy and the results were due today. This was 5 days ago. Yesterday, my body expelled one of the supposedly scarred in Essure coils, after 18 months!!!

I left him a message this am about the coil, and the nurse called a while ago with my biopsy results (normal). So I asked the nurse **again** for the doc to call me, as I haven't found a thing on google about women expelling the coils after so long. I'm hoping I'm not pregnant (I don't know if they were in the right place when the ultrasound tech saw them) and I got no idea from the nurse what a normal biopsy means, since I don't know what he was hoping to find/not find on the biopsy anyhow. It would be nice if he would call me back to tell me what the heck is going on.

I never had cysts before all of this, and my cycle was 28 days like clockwork. I can't help but think that my problems all go back to Essure. I still have the one coil in there somewhere, but I'm thinking tubal ligation the old fashioned way along with a side of novasure to take care of the period issue.

Argh! It's frustrating to me because I'm a little freaked out by this coil showing up on my toilet paper. Even the nurse this morning was like, "it came OUT?! Are you sure that's what it is???" You'd think after 2 messages my doctor would be calling me to find out what the heck is going on.

Anyone else have an experience like this with Essure?

Comment

• Essure issues

My daughter has backed out of having this procedure, thankfully. She said she's going to go ahead and have her tubes tied and be done with this problem. I had my tubes tied when she was born and never had a problem. I've been told that having your tubes tied now is different. They go through your belly button and fill you up with air! YUCKKK! Whatever happened to sticking to the tried and true? I suggested that maybe her husband could get a vasectomy instead...cheaper, quicker recovery time for him and quicker procedure. She insists that "she's" the one that needs to be fixed. She was considered high risk when her 1st child was born and is even more so now, so why take chances? And the Depo shot is something she doesn't want to get again. The spotting is driving her nuts and she just feels bad all the time.

I sure appreciate all the information you've given me. Being a woman today is a complicated thing and we've got to stick together!
                              Pat

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Birth Control & Infertility

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill ****Yaz**** almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception....

01-16-2021, 11:02 AM By Mr.King

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill *Yaz* almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception. I have...

01-16-2021, 10:57 AM By Mr.King
                              • Reply to Have you ghosted someone?

Vanessa R. When I met the guy I've been dating, I actually asked him about his ghosting history the first time we met. He didn't really even know what...

01-15-2021, 03:16 PM By atskitty2

I truly appreciate the insight and feedback, JonnyR , especially coming from a guy. I've been fortunate enough in recent months to come across a few "rare...

01-14-2021, 01:38 PM By Vanessa R.

Very true atskitty2 ! You bring up a good point about how easy it is for someone to walk away in all facets. Of course, the fact that there are people...

01-14-2021, 12:21 PM By Vanessa R.

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill ****Yaz**** almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception....

01-16-2021, 11:02 AM By Mr.King

My Wife has recently started a combined Contraceptive pill *Yaz* almost 4 months ago. We are recently married and want a long term Contraception. I have...

01-16-2021, 10:57 AM By Mr.King
                              • Opinions needed please ! HPV/bartholin cyst??

Hi guys , this is my first post here I’m hoping someone can give me some insight or maybe you have been through something similar an can share ! I’m...

01-08-2021, 04:05 AM By Nikkie92
                              • Got a Vulva? Let's talk wanking!

I'm putting together a piece on hands-free masturbation and would love to hear from people with vulvas. I'm looking for quotes or stories about early...

01-03-2021, 01:44 AM By Wednesday L.F.
                              • I just want some assurance.

Hello.

So these are questions for all the ladies. For those who engage in anal sex, how many years have you been having it? Have you've had...

12-30-2020, 08:01 PM By yrtxzh5a47
                              Working...
                              X