Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My BCP is driving me crazy!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• My BCP is driving me crazy!!!

Hello, this will be my first question in the Women's Health forums! I wish it could be on something slightly happier but... I'm desperate for some feedback on this issue! This has really been making my life difficult for the past few months...

I've been taking the birth control pill for 4 years now. The majority of those 4 years I had been taking Ortho Tri Cyclen-lo. I know some people have had problems with this pill, but for me, it was PERFECT. I experienced no negative side affects on it and was very happy with it. Unfortunately, when I went to get my subscription in June (I get a year's amount from Planned Parenthood every time I go home for the summer), I was told that the patent for OTC-lo would not be renewed, and the pills would no longer be in production. I was extremely disappointed. But the doctor told me she had even lower-dose hormone pills called Chateal for me to try, so I figured it would be ok and started taking them in August.

The first month was ok. But when I got my first period after taking Chateal, I was an emotional MESS for the first 2-3 days. Sobbing for no reason, getting extremely angry at the littlest thing... In the past I did get emotional on the days before my period, but this was awful... Then in September, I started getting painful headaches. These are usually on day 1 and/or 2. I was still weepy. I distinctly remember one morning when I just started bawling for no reason at all on my drive to work. I felt completely insane.

Up until this point, I was willing to keep on taking the pill because they tell you it takes about 3 months to regulate. But in October, the acne started... I began to get these painful spots, almost like cystic acne, around my nose, lips, and chin. They start deep, stay red for a couple days, and then come to a head. I've tried everything to get rid of them, but ever since October I've been breaking out like a teenager and it is SO embarrassing. I used to have pretty good skin before. I would get pimples maybe a couple times a month. Now it seems like I'm finding new bumps every DAY. I am too embarrassed to go out in public without makeup (which makes them even worse), and it has now become almost a ritual for me to wipe off my makeup after I get home from work and just cry at the ugly spotted face I see in the mirror. I don't even know if it's me or the birth control crying... I don't feel like my emotions are my own anymore.

I feel like my mental health has plunged. My self-esteem has taken a serious blow. My boyfriend has been really sweet and supportive but I don't even feel comfortable around him without makeup on anymore. To make matters even more irritating, (slightly TMI, sorry) it seems that this pill has made it almost impossible for me to get aroused. I just can't get wet on my own anymore.

I want to go back to Planned Parenthood and ask for a different pill, but I am afraid that a new pill will just bring more problems. Does anyone know of another pill that is very similar, or even identical to, Ortho Tri Cyclen-lo? I've also considered the Mirena IUD but have heard lots of troubling stories and would hate to have to go through the pain of insertion, only for it to make me crazy again.

I am on the verge of just throwing out all of my pills and only using condoms, which I really don't want to do because I don't trust them. I am so frustrated.

Any help/advice will be appreciated. I am seriously at a loss!

• Well your problem is probably that the 2 pills are nothing alike. Different hormones and ortho lo is triphasic (there is a different dosage of hormones each week) and chateal is monophasic (1 dose of hormones for 3 weeks and then skip completely). Try googling Oral Contraceptive Reference Chart. Then you can pick out a similar pill. Maybe regular ortho tri cyclen (generics Tri-Sprintec, Trinessa, Tri-Previfem, Norgestimate/EE, Tri-Linyah). Cyclessa (generic Velivet, Cesia, Caziant) is a triphasic pill but has completely different chemicals for the hormones than most. You might want to also consider a pop (progestin only pill).

Comment

• Thanks for the response, Kira! I will definitely look that chart and the pills you've mentioned up. I just want to find what works for me, without it taking years to figure out :/

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X