Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birth control methods?!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Birth control methods?!

Hi everyone,

Basically my post is asking about the best birth control methods. I cant take the pill because of another medication im on, so im basically looking for another method. I am always going to use condoms but i feel that they alone wont give me the confidence im protected against pregnancy. The doc said methods im left with are either the IUS or the contraceptive injection which im told makes you put on weight which im not too happy about. Basically i feel im backed into a corner and into having the IUS which im not so sure about either becuase of the whole internal thing and it having to be inserted with or without anaesthetic. Please can someone give me some advice!

Thanks ladies

• I don't know why you could have the depo shot but not birth control pills. They are both hormonal birth control. Aside from barrier methods like condoms, IUDs are the only really effective option besides the hormonal birth control. You can use a 2nd barrier method like a cervical cap and condoms to improve the odds. There are also some spermicides that are used without a cap or diaphragm like vaginal contraceptive film which you just let dissolve inside for a certain amount of time before sex. It doesn't lessen the odds of pregnancy a whole lot but it does help.

Comment

• If ius is your only option then dint worry too much about insertion. I had an iud put in, I felt super crampy but it wasn't dreadful...getting it out was more traumatic. What medication do you take that interacts?
      “...choose to believe in your own myth
      your own glamour
      your own spell
      a young woman who does this
      (even if she is just pretending)
      has everything....”
      ― Francesca Lia Block, How to (Un)cage a Girl

Comment

• I take Depo and have actually lost weight. Side effects vary from person to person. I know a lot of people who have had no side effects from it and a couple who had to get off of it cuz they were so bad. Every method is going to have pros and cons. I think it's odd you can't take the pill but the shot is ok?

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
        X