Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming off the pill/progesterone only pill?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Coming off the pill/progesterone only pill?

Hello!
    From my last post I am considering taking a break from all hormone contraceptions to see if my irratibility and awful moods go away (I was on the combined pill). I went to a family planning clinic tonight and the Dr a few months ago and when i told both of them 'i think my pills are causing my anxiety, mood swings and irritability' they look at me like I'm dumb or they say 'if anything, the pills should do the opposite of that' (ie. Make you happy) so i feel like im going crazy. They both said 'it might just be who you are' and that scares me because EVERYDAY I am on the edge and the most rediculous thing pushes me over the top and I get annoyed and irratible and i wasn't like this before i started the pills, even my mother said so. So im going to take a break from everything for a while. I have 3 pills left in my pack, if i was to stop now, would there be any difference to finishing the pack? Ie period.

The lady I saw tonight mention changing to a completely different pill, the progesterone only pill and see if there's any difference. She said 'I must warn you, your periods can become heavier and you may bleed for long periods of time or you may not have them at all' so i was wondering if anyone has any experience on the progesterone only pill?

Thank you!

• I was the last time I was on a pill. <br />
    If you want to try it, give it a chance.<br />
    <br />
    if you are open to other methods, and willing to commit to it, I think it will be good for you in the long run. your body will thank you! as mentioned on the other thread, I'm not a believer in the hormonal methods. I just don't believe it's healthy for us.

Comment

• I have no experience with progestin only (aka minipills). Maybe some others will.

I did try one of the extended release ones as a last resort (Seasonique). I stopped having periods, which I hated because I questioned every month whether or not I was pregnant and bought tests each month "just in case". I also had frequent spotting, cramping and a nearly constant feeling that I was going to start my period (but just never did). It didn't take me long to tire of that.

As for what the doc said in response to your questions about the mood swings etc....... I had a doctor say something similar in regards to all the issues I was experiencing. But when I looked up information about birth control online, I found ALL KINDS of women complaining of similar things. I had truly gotten to the point where I just thought maybe I was a moody, irritable, unhappy person. But, I wasn't. Shame on your doctor for saying that. That might not be the "average" woman's experience on the pill, but we do not ALL fit into the average.

I would finish the pack. It should make for a smoother transition.
      "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I am going through the same thing you are as far as the mood and constantly being irritated. I have decided to stop with the pills myself.

Good luck!

Comment

• I came off the pill a couple of weeks ago and I'm a completely different person! I thought itd take a few months for me to see a change but a few days after my last pill I could already see the difference! I still get abit anxious/stressed/tight chested in certain situations (like when someone else is stressed) but im guessing that's just normal.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X