Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brown discharge, spotting, and late period on OTC Lo

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Brown discharge, spotting, and late period on OTC Lo

Hello all,

I'm currently on OTC Lo after changing about 10 months ago. My last period started on 1-3-17. I had sex on 1/14 and 1/15. I missed Day 1 of week 2 by a bit over 24 hours, then took both Day 1 and Day2 together on the 16th.

On Monday the 23rd I started getting mucusy brown discharge. This lasted for six days. It wasn't heavy enough for a tampon or pad, but it was heavy enough for a liner, so not just when I wiped and not just a few spots in my underwear. I usually get my period on Tuesday of the placebo week, which would have been yesterday. It didn't come, but at one point yesterday I almost took a picture of this weird clot(?) or something that was in the toilet when I peed. It was about the size of a pea, and looked white with maybe some blood around it. Today, I have brown spotting, true spotting that has only been a couple of spots in my underwear and a few light smears when I wipe a couple of times today.

I did contact my doctor last week, and she told me it may be the missed pill that caused the discharge, to wait until I got my period and then continue as normal. If normal didn't happen, to go see her. I plan on doing that, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same.

I'll also be taking a pregnancy test tomorrow morning, but has anyone seen ever experienced this?

I have had two pregnancies. During both, my hormonal acne didn't show up (it did this time), my breasts became very tender and swollen the week before my period was due, and I had bloating similar to what I get 1-2 days before my period, but it occurred much earlier than normal. I've not had any of those symptoms, but I know every time is different.

EDIT: I couldn't wait. I took a HPT and got a BFN. I know morning pee is better, but it was an early response and I'm a day late so I was hoping if the hcg was there, it'd let me know. I'll try again in the AM also.
    Last edited by Stepbackgirl; 02-01-2017, 06:20 PM.

• Hi Stepbackgirl, welcome to WH! It sound like the second test with morning pee will also be negative. Best wishes.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Yep. It was negative. I have no idea what's going on. I don't know when I need to start my next pack, if I'm already late starting my pack, if I need to go on OTC instead of OTC-Lo, if I need to use backup methods for the next month. This is pretty frustrating!

Comment

• Hmm......maybe you developed a small cyst.

I never had any luck with the "lo's"....or actually any pill for that matter. I might go 6-12 months on one and be "okay" but eventually, I always started to have negative side effects.

If you're late starting the new pack, most bc's say you can either start immediately (will cause more side effects), or start on the first day of your next period.

It truly just sounds like classic side effects of hormonal birth control. And I do know how frustrating that is. I wish there were male options!!!!
        "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
        X