• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minipill Side Effects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minipill Side Effects

So I took the combination pill for about 7 years and never really had any issues with it. The prescription was up for renewal so I went in and one of my questions for the clinician was how long it was considered safe to take the combination pill given some studies have shown a higher risk of breast cancer. I was also a little concerned as my blood pressure has seemed high over the past year and I know birth control pills can negatively affect that. The clinician suggested the minipill could be an option at some point because it doesn't have the same risks regarding cancer and blood pressure. I decided to try it and have been on it for about two months. First month no period, no problems. Last week I thought I did seem a little sore and achy but wrote that off to hormones in general. On Sunday I missed taking my pill (I took it as soon as I remembered Monday morning) and Monday...full on period. Not just some breakthrough bleeding but definitely a period. I am in the middle of the pack so not even remotely near the timing I might normally have a period so I am like "What the heck?!" I was reading about it yesterday and, apparently, breakthrough bleeding/seemingly extra periods are not uncommon side effects to this specific birth control (which I was not warned about). Has anyone experienced this and did it calm down or continue or what?

The mini pill made me feel homicidal! It was awful. I had to take it to help stop unexplained bleeding after having my 2nd child, so I had to finish off a cycle. NEVER again. I was also told it was very important to take it at the same exact time every day.

Comment

I totally missed this post originally! Boooo!!! I have a ton of history with hormonal BC and ultimately, decided to completely stop using it in 2009 after 10 years of hormonal roller coasters.

I'm not sure how long you've been on the minipill, but your body will have an adjustment period to ANY hormonal bc. My doctor always told me to give it 3 full cycles before I judged a particular pill.

I'm curious if this has improved for you at all?
      "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

I hope she found a solution! I was on the pill for 10 years. Then I had two kids and I can’t handle any pills. I tried several and they were all awful!

Comment

Originally posted by nyged5 View Post
          I hope she found a solution! I was on the pill for 10 years. Then I had two kids and I can’t handle any pills. I tried several and they were all awful!
          Me too girl! They work GREAT for many women, but for me..............ugh.....I can't imagine putting myself through it willingly again.
          "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Working...
          X