Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the Pill but I was a few hours late

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Pill but I was a few hours late

Hey. I want to begin by saying that I am so happy to have found this website. It makes me feel not alone in being sexually active and the responsibility that it comes with it. However, I think I messed up. My boyfriend ejaculated in me on 10/30 and I usually take my pills at 11pm everyday. I have been on the pill since 10/19. But, instead of taking my pill at 11pm on 10/31, i took it on Friday 11/01 at 5am. I was approximately 6 hrs late because i fell asleep. What are my chances of being pregnant?

• I will really appreciate if someone responded.

Comment

• From what I have read, being a few hours late should not be a problem but it is best to take the pill at the same time every day. Otherwise there are more surges in the hormones. From a few years ago: https://www.womens-health.com/boards...issed-one-pill Ashlee T. , Claret , atskitty2
      Last edited by jns; 11-03-2019, 10:24 PM.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• So you've been on the pill for only a couple weeks or so? Do I understand correctly? 6 hours is a bit more than is typically considered the "window" of time for taking it on time every day. As with anything, it's not 100%, so the more we fudge on the recommended dosing, the more likely the medication is to fail. You were late once, so you're probably not pregnant. It's possible you're pregnant, but I'd not say that it's highly likely. Try not to stress about it, and wait for your period to show, unless you're taking a pill that causes you not to have monthly bleeding. If it doesn't come as expected, take a test. Stressing will make you late, tho, so really try not to worry about it

Additionally, this accident makes me wonder if the pill is the right choice for you, or if the time of day is the best for you. Will you be able to keep up with that time in the future? Is oral contraception the best way to go here? Perhaps a morning schedule will work better, as if you forget it, you'll at least be awake and able to take it within an hour or so.

Best of luck Hon. Sorry nobody responded sooner! Let us know what happens!

Comment

• Hey Iram! I'd say your chances of being pregnant are quite low but it's not impossible. I do recall that when I started on birth control the doctor told me to use additional protection throughout that next cycle to give it time to balance out. So my biggest concern would be that your body had not adjusted to the new hormones yet, and then you went a full 24 hours without it which only further confuses the body and if your body got confused enough to ovulate, you could have gotten pregnant. So...while it isn't likely, it's not impossible.

I recommend incorporating your pill taking at a time when you can't possibly miss it, like at breakfast time. If you plan your pill taking time at 11pm, there are going to be times you fall asleep and miss that. Plan it around a meal that you never miss and make it part of that routine.

"Be what you're looking for."

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X