Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need advice BADLY! Please help me!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advice BADLY! Please help me!

Here's my birth control history in a nutshell...

Started on regular OrthoTricyclen 4 years ago when I was 18. Did well with it, no problems. Took it for about 2 1/2 years.

My obgyn wanted me to try OrthoLo when it came out. The whole year I was on it I would always bleed during sex if the sex took place the week before my period. I finally told my obgyn about it and he switched me back to OrthoTricyclen but for some reason the pharmacy was giving me Trinessa, the generic. But I did ok with it.

In April of this year I asked my gyno to switch me again because I was becoming really depressed and and thought it could be due to the pill. He put me on Yasmin. I took it for the months of May and June. In June my "problem" came back and I bled during sex a week before my period.

I didn't want to deal with that bleeding again so I started taking Trinessa again in July. I had sex on July 4th, everything was fine. Period came July 19-24 like it should've...Had sex again the 29th, it was fine....2 days later spotted a little bit for a day (figured it was breakthrough bleeding since it's only my 2nd month of being on Trinessa again). Then I had sex a few days later and I bled during it. Went to the bathroom and wiped, the bleeding then stopped.

I went to my doctor. He says it is hormone related. He told me to take one more month of Trinessa and see what happens. Well, I'm on my 3rd month of it and I haven't had sex yet - I'm too scared that I will bleed and I always panic if I bleed and think the worst. I haven't found too much information about this problem on the internet, it always says bleeding during sex is a sign of somethign more serious. But could it be hormonal like my doctor says? Besides that one exception, it only seemed to happen right before my period. Can someone please explain why this is happening to me? I have to have sex soon to determine if it is still happening. If it does, my gyno says he's going to switch me to something else.

• Yes, there are some other health issues which can cause bleeding during sex. The only way to determine what it could be is to get a full exam and look for specific causes. You might want to get a second opinion on your situation. It seems a bit illogical to be switching birth control so much. You are basicly just keeping yourself on a hormonal rollercoaster by doing that. It can take many months for a woman's hormones to balance out after starting or stopping birth control. It is also true that many brands of birth control can cause irregular bleeding. It may be that you just need to try an entirely different method of birth control.

Comment

• If I had this bleeding all the time I would definitely think it was something else. However, since it generally only happens right before my period and it didn't start until I took low-dose bcp's, doesn't that seem odd?

Comment

• To be honest, I am personally against birth control period because of all the little side effects like this that are ignored as "normal" by doctors. But it's not my job to come here and tell everyone how horrible I think birth control is. I refuse to take it ever again.

So I am telling you, that it is well known that some birth control does cause painful sex and bleeding as well. The only way I have heard to stop the bleeding is to try different doses and brands of BC.

Also keep in mind that I am not a doctor. Just an educated woman trying to help everyone out.

Comment

• Thank you Jessica, I appreciate your honesty! I am starting to become quite frustrated with birth control too and I'm seriously considering quitting it if these issues do not get resolved this month.

Your reply eased my mind actually. If it IS the birth control that's fine, I can fix it one way or another. My concern was that it is something more serious. I'm just a worrier!!!

Comment

• Hi,

First off, I have got to be the biggest worrier anyone knows when it comes to health issues!!!! In a way, I have been in your shoes, so I know how much it can worry you!! I switched birth control pills 3 times before I finally found one that I could adjust to. When I experienced bleeding after sex, I worried so much that I immediately scheduled an appointment with my doctor to see if there was a major concern. Keep in mind that I have only had sex with my boyfriend of over three years and didnt do anything with any other guy except for kiss before I met my current boyfriend, so when the doctor told me she was going to do some standard std tests...I wasnt worried. But I do know that having an std COULD (Im not sure in your case!) have something to do with it. Long story short...this happened about 3 different times and YES I made another appointment and the doctor let me know that sometimes this stuff happens to women for no particular reason at all!

Also, I worked in a clinic where I went to school and I have some knowledge of women switching and beginning birth control, I am not a licensed professional BUT switching that many times in a short period of time can really effect your body. Im sure your body is just sooo confused right now that it doesnt know what to do!! It is said that for a woman to adjust to her birth control pill it takes about 3 months on once pill. So take this into consideration...have your doctor take any standard testing they feel is necessary to ease your mind and hopefully your problem will disappear once you are on a pill for a while.

Comment

• Hi summer! Thanks for your reply! I'm pretty sure I can rule out STD's, I've only been with one other person besides my fiance, and that was about 5 years ago. I have a feeling if I have sex this month everything will be fine, since I've been back on the Trinessa for 3 months....but the problem is just getting up the courage to do it! I can't relax b/c I'm so scared it will happen again!

Comment

• Bleeding after sex/Questions about Yasmin & no sex drive

I to often do this and the dr told me I have a sensitive cervix. I am also having birth control problems the dr but me on yasmin and I have not had sex since after 2 weeks of being on the pill. My calves ache I get a headache when I am on my period. It has taking what sex drive I had which was pretty good for a mother of 4 and flushed away. I have NONE. No dr seems to care. If I get off of it I have long long periods and I hate that even more anyone have any ideas or similar situations??

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Have you ghosted someone?

I truly appreciate the insight and feedback, JonnyR , especially coming from a guy. I've been fortunate enough in recent months to come across a few "rare...

Yesterday, 01:38 PM By Vanessa R.

Very true atskitty2 ! You bring up a good point about how easy it is for someone to walk away in all facets. Of course, the fact that there are people...

Yesterday, 12:21 PM By Vanessa R.

Agreed with all - it sucks, and shouldn't be allowed! LOL...

It's gotten to the point now (sadly I would think...) that I EXPECT the ghosting,...

01-13-2021, 09:18 PM By JonnyR
                • Reply to Opinions needed please ! HPV/bartholin cyst??

Are you absolutely certain the discharge is coming from somewhere besides the vaginal opening? And is that a change, or has it always been coming from...

01-11-2021, 06:33 PM By atskitty2

Vanessa R. I have been surprised that more of these kinds of posts don't get some attention too! I think most of the visitors/regulars here are not in...

01-11-2021, 06:15 PM By atskitty2

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                X