Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Losing my mind because I'm losing my hair!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing my mind because I'm losing my hair!

I'm new here, and I joined up because I was googling extreme hair loss, and this forum came up in my searches.
    I am almost in tears as I type this... I have no idea why this is happening, but my hair is falling out in massive amounts!!! I have always lost quite a bit of hair, and my hair has always been somewhat thin, but its really really bad now! There are places where you can see my scalp, even. It's not falling out in clumps, just strand by strand, and hundreds of them throughout the day. My sink and bathtub and hairbrush are FULL of hair. I'm starting to freak out a little, and its scaring me.

I went off the pill about 5 months ago, so if this was a side effect of that, I would think it would be waning, not getting worse! I also quit smoking a month ago, but this hair loss was going on before that.
    My skin is acting up really bad, too. I have always had pretty clear skin, especially once I hit my early twenties, but about the same time my hair started falling out so much, I started getting acne and dry skin. I'm not doing anything differently than I ever have before! Is this part of getting older...? I'm only 24.

About two months ago-ish when I started noticing more hair loss, I started taking the Hair, Skin & Nails vitamins. My hair grows sooo much faster, and my nails are stronger and they grow fast, too, but why is my hair falling out??? If anybody can help me, maybe anyone knows what could be causing this, and ESPECIALLY what I can do to stop and/or reverse this, I would really appreciate it!!!

• Have you ever had your thyroid levels checked?
    Before you talk about what you want ~ Be happy with what you have

Comment

• Actually I don't think I have. I don't have health insurance.. but would I just go to a regular doctor or a dermatologist? I'm so worried about this. I have been a yo-yo 'dieter' for my whole life, also. I go through cycles of working out and eating healthy to lose weight, and then I just give up and barely exercising and eating whatever. I have done that a couple of times in this time period, and I have always been overweight, but I'm wondering if it has more profound effects on your body as you get older?

Comment

• You need to make sure you are consuming enough protein too. Hair loss is very common in dieters because of the lack of protein AND vitamins and minerals. Do you take daily supplements?

Comment

• Well! I just looked at my HS&N and it doesn't have protein.. it has calcium in it. Also biotin, which I have heard is good for this kind of thing, iron, and a whole bunch of other things. I guess I kind of thought maybe with all the supplements it does have that it would double as a daily vitamin.

Comment

• Hair Loss

Hi Amy... I am a hairdresser so perhaps I can help you a bit. I agree 100% about having your thyroid levels checked. This can happen with both Hyperthyroidism and Hypothyroidism.. although its most commonly seen with Hypo. Have your T3 and 4 levels checked. Once that is ruled out.. I think you really need to check your diet and after that? hair care.
            The hair care encompasses a lot. Hair is nourished in the follicle.. so you need to look into that.
            Why not get back to us after you have your thyroid tested...then this can be looked at from a different perspective.
            Good luck.. it's only a simple blood test by the way~

Annette

Comment

• Thanks for all your advice, ladies! I can't argue with that logic. I will definitely let you know what happens when I get the chance to get that blood test.
              Annette, as a hair dresser, what do you recommend for hair care? I have used just cheap Suave shampoo and conditioner my whole life, and never had any problems, but when I went to get my hair cut a couple of months ago, the woman told me that is bad for my hair. I switched to Herbal Essences healthy hydration after I started noticing all this hair loss. Also, what do you think is the best type of hair dye, as far as least damaging? I've actually stopped washing my hair every single day after the hair loss started. I've heard its healthier not to. I've been trying all kinds of different things!

Comment

• Try some all natural products. I hope you will keep us informed on your findings.
                Before you talk about what you want ~ Be happy with what you have

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Female pubic hair and sexuality

I think that's the bottom line! Each person/couple should do whatever feels right for them -- even if it is to please the other party, so long as it's...

09-15-2020, 10:36 PM By JonnyR
                • Reply to When to call it quits?

It makes perfect sense, though. It might not be fool-proof but really if you find yourself rooting for one side over the other, that kinda tells you exactly...

09-15-2020, 09:47 PM By Strega
                • Reply to Female pubic hair and sexuality

Aside from keeping a bare bikini line in the summer months, I’ve never felt pressured from a societal standpoint to keep my pubic hair a certain way....

09-15-2020, 09:12 PM By Strega
                • Reply to Letting a friendship fade away

Emily D. thanks....

09-14-2020, 05:13 PM By atskitty2
                • Reply to When to call it quits?

The guy my friend was dating apparently sensed her disinterest, and asked her if she'd like to continue dating. She avoided the question, and that was...

09-14-2020, 05:09 PM By atskitty2

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• Letting a friendship fade away

Over the past few years, the tone of a friendship of mine has changed. We have a mutual friend, and last week, we finally had an honest chat about how...

08-30-2020, 07:41 AM By atskitty2
                • When to call it quits?

It's sometimes difficult to know when to end a romantic relationship, and for what reasons. Dating can be a challenge, and finding someone worth investigating...

08-30-2020, 07:14 AM By atskitty2
                Working...
                X