Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Here, Need Advice Group B Strep Nighmare- Not Pregnant

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I usually don't post to forums but I am desperate and so are you guys.
    I have pain during sex along the sides of my vaginal wall. It feels like my tissue is tearing or being rubbed raw. Previously when it was really bad I would feel sharp pains instantly. After sex I would sometimes see some blood or even some tissue and I was no where near my period. My boyfriend of 5 years has symptoms too. His symptoms come and go ranging from over sensitivity to occasional pain inside his penis. He's not circumcised but washes every day and we both dry ourselves well after washing. It started all around the time we came back from a college course in Costa Rica. Also soon after the course/trip we had a threesome with another girl, and around that time he got a prostate infection and was treated with cypromyacin. He was allergic to cypro and from there our problems stemmed.

I've seen many doctors, and have had cultures many times in the past 2-3 years. Only recently the culture finally tested positive for Strep B. Before testing positive my doctor was having me try boric acid for two weeks. I tried the treatment twice. Both times, it seemed to cure it. A week after, it came back. The first time we had sex soon after my treatment. The second time we didn't but it still came back, starting with small amounts of yellowish brown discharge. I don't have too bad a smell but I definitely don't smell normal. I think my pee has a strange smell too.
    I have been prescribed amoxicillin. My boyfriends seeing the doctor tomorrow to get antibiotics. Well this thread has given me doubt that it will work. The doctor and I had a plan before we knew I had strep B to take another course of 2 weeks of boric acid followed by 2 boric acid pills for 6 weeks. So along with antibiotics, I will do the long boric acid treatment.

To make matters worse, I think I have strep throat. Luckly the antibiotics will treat that, but my bodies just going to have to fight harder to cure everything. I might try lowering sugar for awhile too and look into the garlic pills.

Additional info: I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and am on a low dose of meds. Also I take a lot of baths which I am not to stop doing.

Comment

• You (and your boyfriend) might consider using gentian violet (crystal violet) topically to control the bacteria on the surface of the skin. It is supposed to be effective against most gram-positive bacteria. Group B Strep is gram-positive. Cipromycin, also known as Ciprofloxacin, is more effective against gram-negative bacteria. From what I have read about these infections it seems like internal drugs may treat the bacteria on or near the surface of the skin, but may be ineffective if the bacteria is insulated from the effects of the antibiotics. Several things to note, I am not a doctor so don't take this as medical advice. Use it at your own risk. Do research on it before trying it. Consult with your doctor. It should be available at a local drugstore or maybe as a special order. I remember getting treated with it as a child for oral thrush. I have used it before to get rid of what I suspected was fungal growth in my genital area (it was effective). I have also seen it used as a general antiseptic for cuts and scrapes as well as used to keep a person who was partially paralyzed by a stroke from getting pressure sores (or at least keeping them in check). Gentian violet is still listed by the World Health Organization per Wikipedia. Be warned, it will indelibly stain clothes and skin but the stains on skin will usually disappear in about a week if it is not reapplied.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I got rid of mine. I keep up with preventative things as I’m so scared of it coming back, but here is what you need.

Allicin Max- 1 to 2 a day
        Optibac for women- 2 a day
        Balance activ gel. Initially for 7 days straight, then twice a week. A week straight after every period and after sex.

I cut out a few foods because they were high in oxalates and can I irritate sensitive skin (tomatoes/bell peppers and chocolate). I also take zinc, vitamin d (a pretty high dose) and calcium citrate. I tried clindamycin cream internally for 3 weeks and it got rid of the yellow discharge but didn’t help the burning. I used that before the balance activ.

Forgetting the last part of what I do, you need to get the first part. If you can’t afford them or get hold of them, get the balance activ. I was the lowest of the low that I’ve ever felt 6 months ago. I hated my life and would cry all day. Being in pain solidly in such a private area is beyond hideous. I feel for you all and I hope that maybe this will help someone.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
        X