Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hpv

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hpv

ok..i have high risk hpv, i've had it for 8 years now..i have a few questions about it that no one can seem to answer. i have never had genital warts or anything just abnormal paps..w/2 LEEP procedures since i was 18.
    1. i had warts on my hands as a kid... can this lead to having hpv?
    2. my current bf developed a wart on his pubic area (not his penis or scrotum). can i pass this to him?

lemme know if you come up with anything...
    Smile...it's not so bad.

• I know your worried.

So I imagine you've been diagnosed 8 years ago with high risk hpv.

Have you over this period of time had yourself tested again, because it is my understanding this relates only to warts not abnormal pap smears.

High risk hpv is listed as highly contagious... So you could have, and you may have had a problem as a child which remains.

I am only confused as to why you are not / have not got advise over this, if it is contagious to you, what you can do to prevent, I appreciate it's not genital, but warts can occur in any place.

I recall "20 years ago" a girlfriend with this problem, so my information may be old.

CW
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• let me clarify, i had my first abnormal pap at 18 and the 1st LEEP. then paps were fine for 5 years. then another abnormal pap which lead to my 2nd LEEP. then 3wks ago i had another pap come back ok but they ran an hpv test which came back high risk. HPV can cause cervical cancer, abnormal paps. so i'm assuming i've had hpv causing my abnormal paps since i was 18. but no one can tell me (since there are so many strains of hpv) if the warts i had on my fingers when i was a kid (that went away on their own) is the hpv that could cause my abnormal paps.
      Smile...it's not so bad.

Comment

• Ok so, are they suggesting anything now to you to check 2nd Leep or third?

I am sorry I am only trying to get what the Doctors are telling you so that the posters ( you know no one other than Australian's are here now), can comment on themselves.

So I understand where your at, but what are they telling you?

CW
        PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Abnormal Pap as I understood is sometimes due to the hpv. I know of someone diagnosed with high risk hpv and she will have another Pap 3months from now to determine if it is still there. and you are right, this would lead to CIN1 (cervical cancer). You can search the net about dysplasia (CIN) and some possible steps to deal with it. you have to work closely with your oB/gyne/oncologist. Take note of fishy smell...and other abnormal signs, b/c others experience a bit of pain in their abdomen.

I will gather more info and tell you more. I can relate to this, we'll talk again.

Comment

• yes I can relate as well. I had an abnormal pap and it ended up being from HPV the kind that causes cancer but doesn't give you anything else.. it stays dormant in males and passes to women but only 1/5000 women that get it will develop cancer.

So my abnormal pap showed up as "mild dysplasia" they did a colposcopy to check further how bad. The results came back ok. they just sent me off and said get a pap every 3 months or so to keep checking. I haven't had a bad pap since.

I never had any warts on my hands growing up or anyhting..

The only way you can get cervical cancer is from HPV. those few strands. i thinkk # 16 #17 #18.

I guess your immune system can fight its way back and it won't be a problem.
            attitude..it follows us around. It can be like a smelly sock or a sweet perfume. Others can tell. Be confident.

Comment

• Did you take any medication? Did you do anything? Or you just waited...doc said it will eventually go away (if your immune system is good) - like you said.

Comment

• Everyone carries the virus for warts--the ones you get on your hands, etc, some get them some don't. The types of HPV that cause genital warts are different from those causing warts on other body parts, such as the hands. People do not get genital warts by touching warts on their hands or feet.

HPV transmission can happen with any kind of sexual, genital contact with someone who has HPV—intercourse isn't necessary. Genital HPV infections are very common and most HPV infections occur without any symptoms and go away without any treatment over the course of a few years. You can also be infected and not show any signs for months or years. So you might never really know who gave it to you. Of the more than 100 types of HPV, more than 30 types can be passed from one person to another through sexual contact. HPV Types 16 and 18 cause 70% of cervical cancer cases and HPV Types 6 and 11 cause 90% of genital warts cases. All HPV types that affect the genital area can cause abnormal Pap tests. (Sexually transmitted, high-risk HPVs include types 16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 56, 58, 59, 66, 68, and 73.)

Sorry if the info is in random order, just throwing out there what I know is fact. You can also search the Center for Disease Control website for HPV and there is a plethera of information there. Hope this helps!

Comment

• did i do anything different?

well.. i was in a sort of a depression when I found out about the dysplasia. After the colposcopy i didn't have sex for a while because that stupid procedure hurt me kinda. My boyfriend and I were always fighting. But man we had great sex. That really helped. He was the "" type. I only stayed longer because of the crazy sex. Then i couldn't take it anymore. I moved out a few months later. I felt better, I started exercising, and from then Its been all clear.

Can't really say i ever knew how long i had it.. cause there were no symptoms. Back then the only supplement I took was acidophilus. To keep away yeast infections. When im stressed my body reacts by blessing me with yeast infection So I'm loyal to my acidophilus. Can't always carry around yogurt.
                  attitude..it follows us around. It can be like a smelly sock or a sweet perfume. Others can tell. Be confident.

Comment

• OH yeah and I had type 16 i think.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                    X