Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have not seen my period in about a year and I am worried...

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have not seen my period in about a year and I am worried...

Just a small overview of my history...

For the longest time, I have been told that my irregular periods where normal and it was probably a question of ovulation that made them irregular (so the Gyno told me). They have been irregular since puberty...I used to have a period once every 3 months then twice a year and now nothing...I used to be on the pill and it would come like clockwork every month, etc...I stopped the pill and it began to be my "regular" irregular cycle...until now that I have not seen it for about a year...I have been getting light pink/red spotting as if my cycle will start and it never does...I still get this discharge 2 months later....

I am a single unmarried 30 year old woman with no children...and 10 years ago, I never thought about ovulation or babies or cancer or anything of that sort,...but now, it is a growing concern...

I just recently went to the Dr. for tests (Pap, Blood and Echography)....but I am worried. He did not tell me very much and I guessed on my own that the blood works where to check for a Thyroid problem...I will be going this week for the echography to check the ovaries and/or for tumours...I am horrified of the results (I have not gotten them yet)....what if it is not a Thyroid problem? Why have I been bleeding for almost 2 months even a little bit but not having my period?

Can anyone calm my spirit...I feel like I am going nuts...its all I think about and I keep thinking the worst...Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

• I`ve been having the same problem for almost 2 years now.My periods are very irregular and i had those long weeks of light bleeding but no period.Ive been on birth control for 2 months now and i`m supposed to get my period this week.I had pap, pregnancy, STDs tests and echography to make sure everythin was OK.Everything came out normal and the gyneco told me that some women just have irregular periods.But I am only 23 and dont wanna be on birth control to get regular periods.Sometimes i feel like something is wrong, but every gyneco and tests confirm that I`m fine.So i know how you feel.Dont be that worried, wait for the results and from there you`ll know for sure.Wish you luck

Comment

• I've always been irregular, unless, like you, on the pill.

Never a concern to the Dr's, etc. However, last year, I wanted to get a tubal and brought up the concern of irregular cycles up to my Dr because I wouldn't have the pill to regulate me. He suggested a D&C to clean things out. Basically, if I remember right, the build up of lining over the years ends up not allowing things out on a regular basis. With a D&C, you basically remove all those years of built up lining and 'start over' in a sense.

Well, I went in for a D&C in February and have had a regular monthly cycle every month so far (I'm now like clock work, but without the pill) and I feel better too. The Dr gave me Provera too, just in case I don't start and felt I needed to induce a cycle. I'm happy to say I haven't had to use it once.

Comment

• Just a little update....the Dr sent me to do blood test and ultrasound....I have an appointment to get my results on feb 24th so I will know more then.

Thank you for all who responded! Much appreciated!

Comment

• So I went to the doctor for my results and the blood work came out normal meaning no Thyroid problem which is good. But he sent me for more blood test to check my hormone levels.

The ultrasound come back and was found that I have cysts on my ovaries. They are not cancerous, Thank God.

He put me on a 5 day hormone treatment to see if my period is going to start and luckily today I started...I am now waiting for a phone call to go back and see him for the results of my 2nd blood test and pap smear...

Althought the doctor has not said anything as to what's wrong with me or given me a diagnosis....but all his test point to PCOS...

We will have to wait and see...I'll cross that bridge when we get there...

Comment

• Thanks for the update! Thank goodness the cysts are not cancerous and that you are getting somewhere on finding out what the issue is.

Comment

• Just a quick update...I went back to the Doctor this week because it was over 10 days that I have been bleeding and I was starting to get worried. He told me because it was over a year that I have not seen my period that it is normal to still be bleeding and I could be bleeding for up to 3 months.

He also confirmed to me that I have PCOS and he referred me to go see an Endocrinologist.

I have started to make changes in my eating habits and slowly start exercising to help the weight loss...hopefully, I will stay motivated enough that the weight loss will stay off...

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
              X