Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

chronic bacterial vaginosis

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loving Fem-Dophilus!!!

Well I started Fem-Dophilus the day I last posted, and guess what? I have been FINE ever since! Now I have my period, but I began taking two Fem-D a day because I thought the yeast was coming back, and honestly, 48 hours later I felt like my normal self.

Today I received the Bio-Fem and the Tea Tree suppositories in the mail. So once my period is finished, and I start my pill again, if I feel like I'm getting any BV symptoms, I will start using the Bio-Fem. I'm also planning on using it after my hubby and I have sex, to see if it can help with what seems to be an aversion that my body has to his body fluids lately!!

Comment

• Acadia - I know this may sound ridiculous, but I have heard of a condition where the chronic infections - yeast and BV, etc., leave the nerve endings in the vagina very sensitive, and that can result in painful sex. Not to be too nosy, but if the pain occurs during penetration and is around the vaginal opening/inside of the vaginal wall, and not in your abdomen or higher up, near your cervix, perhaps that's it.

Its called - and I am wrong here so you have to check online - vulvo-something vestibularis.

DepressedCherie - Could you have an allergy to your clothing detergent? Try washing all your undies and whatnot in a fragrance-free, dye-free laundry detergent and no fabric softener and see what happens. That was the solution the doctor recommended to a friend who thought she was having constant yeast infections but everything was negative. It was the dyes and perfumes in the soap. And only wash yourself with Dove, no scented body washes or bath soaps that we all love.

Hope that helps!!

Comment

• Ladylane,

You are correct. Pain from chronic infections (of any kind) can indeed lead to vulvodynia in various forms. Vulvar vestibulitis deals with pain on contact, vulvodynia tends to be spontaneous unprovoked burning, stabbing pains, itch. It can just affect the vulvar tissue or involve vaginal tissue.

There is no strict diagnosis nor treatment. In fact, getting diagnosed is really difficult because many, and I mean many, docs/gyns don't know about this pain syndrome.

Once you have chronically tight pelvic muscles the nerves leading to the genitals will keep firing like the infection is still there even though it's not. You can even get the same weird discharges but not have any infection.

If this is what is going on, (I haven't read through all of the posts) then the first step is to determine if there is any infection and to treat it if there is.

Second step, is to find a doc who deals with chronic pelvic pain. A good physical therapist is also key, one that does both internal and external work.

There are various types of meds that can help with the nerve pain, but if you don't treat the tight muscles, they won't help.

Comment

• Thanks!

Thanks so much for the feedback. This has been an ongoing problem for four years now so it's good to have a new path to try...

Comment

• LadyLane and free spirit, thanks for that information! That explains some things I am still experiencing. I am hopeful that once I have been BV free for a while, that all my parts eventually go back to normal, but if not, I know where to start looking.

My update since my new regiment:

I have been taking the Prodophilus Reuteri three times a day.

I have mixed the powdered version with yogurt a few times and inserted it vaginally, but honestly the yogurt made things feel sticky & I almost felt like I was going to get a yeast infection. I want to find another "delivery mechanism."

I've been eating tons of yogurt (not a problem, since I love it)

I have been checking my pH, & it has been hovering around 4.5 -- about .5 over what I think is probably ideal for me.

I bought some BioFem from the UK, & I have used it after vigorous sex (which I'm getting to have now!) to keep things in check.

We are using condoms faithfully.

I feel GREAT. I am very aware of how things feel & how they are supposed to feel. I can just about guess my pH before I test it now. Here is the greatest miracle -- this month I did NOT develop BV during my PMS week! It's a miracle that I haven't had it at all, but it's unheard of that I didn't develop one before my period. Also, my natural lubrication is back. Sex is like it used to be.

If I have to follow this probiotic regiment forever it'll be worth it. Some other side effects: I have had fewer digestive problems than I've had in years.

Do things feel "perfect"? No. I still feel a little off, & I really think that the .5 pH difference is the reason. I think if I start using the Prodophilus Reuteri powder vaginally I might can beat this thing completely.

Good luck to everyone else. I hope my research & reports are helping someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ginger_Ark View Post
              LadyLane and free spirit, thanks for that information! That explains some things I am still experiencing. I am hopeful that once I have been BV free for a while, that all my parts eventually go back to normal, but if not, I know where to start looking.

My update since my new regiment:

I have been taking the Prodophilus Reuteri three times a day.

I have mixed the powdered version with yogurt a few times and inserted it vaginally, but honestly the yogurt made things feel sticky & I almost felt like I was going to get a yeast infection. I want to find another "delivery mechanism."

I've been eating tons of yogurt (not a problem, since I love it)

I have been checking my pH, & it has been hovering around 4.5 -- about .5 over what I think is probably ideal for me.

I bought some BioFem from the UK, & I have used it after vigorous sex (which I'm getting to have now!) to keep things in check.

We are using condoms faithfully.

I feel GREAT. I am very aware of how things feel & how they are supposed to feel. I can just about guess my pH before I test it now. Here is the greatest miracle -- this month I did NOT develop BV during my PMS week! It's a miracle that I haven't had it at all, but it's unheard of that I didn't develop one before my period. Also, my natural lubrication is back. Sex is like it used to be.

If I have to follow this probiotic regiment forever it'll be worth it. Some other side effects: I have had fewer digestive problems than I've had in years.

Do things feel "perfect"? No. I still feel a little off, & I really think that the .5 pH difference is the reason. I think if I start using the Prodophilus Reuteri powder vaginally I might can beat this thing completely.

Good luck to everyone else. I hope my research & reports are helping someone.
              Firstly, ive been thrilled reading all your posts on BV!! I ordered the pH testing kit that you recommended and (this is going to sound niave...) as i have no discharge...i kinda placed the pH swab inside my vagina and collected some 'juices'

NOW, i have had BV on and off for the past 3 years, blah blah...nightmare....and recently ive been getting stomach pains at the site of the upper reproductive tract and im convinced that this is all from BV...so this is the main reason as why i ordered the kit. Anyhoo...my pH was through the roof, 6.8 infact. What im trying to find out is can i have BV without discharge?? As, when i was diagnosed 3 years ago, i had a little discharge and predominately a fishy odor. Now, i just have a light (but i know its there) smell and random stomach pains. I am at my wits end, as many of you are, my doctor doesnt take me seriously at all. Shall i take this pH swab and shove it in his face??!?! 6.8, thats not good right??

Comment

• Miffed -

4 is a normal pH. Actually, it may be 4-4.5, although I've had a yeast infection at 4.5.

Higher than that is generally BV. You mention upper reproductive area stomach pains... could you have PID?

Why isn't your doctor taking you seriously? That's upsetting. Why don't you make another appointment with a new gyno asap, explain your history, and get a new, full exam by a new doc?

It took me over two years to find a doctor to figure out why my vagina kept tearing after sex; three doctors later, I saw someone who literally glanced at me during our first meeting and diagnosed my condition. It is finally being fixed in ten days! You are your own best advocate and you know when something is wrong. You have to do what you can to be heard.

Good luck and let us know what that high pH means.

Comment

• I have the same issues as you do but I didn't have the surgery you did. I get this infection each time after or before my period and it's the most annoying. I have tried everything as mentioned in the other letters about this same issue, but nothing has helped.

Comment

• Originally posted by LadyLane View Post
                    Miffed -

4 is a normal pH. Actually, it may be 4-4.5, although I've had a yeast infection at 4.5.

Higher than that is generally BV. You mention upper reproductive area stomach pains... could you have PID?

Why isn't your doctor taking you seriously? That's upsetting. Why don't you make another appointment with a new gyno asap, explain your history, and get a new, full exam by a new doc?

It took me over two years to find a doctor to figure out why my vagina kept tearing after sex; three doctors later, I saw someone who literally glanced at me during our first meeting and diagnosed my condition. It is finally being fixed in ten days! You are your own best advocate and you know when something is wrong. You have to do what you can to be heard.

Good luck and let us know what that high pH means.
                    Thank you for your reply, i have recently swapped doctors and gone private..she examined me because PID was the first thing that ran through my mind too and she said id be feeling sick, groggy if it was PID. Took some bloods anyway and my leucocyte count was fine, so she ruled out PID and BV actually because my body would be trying to fight that, thus leucocyte count would be high? I actually dont think that is right...would infection show on a blood test if you had BV?

Im not naturally a hypochondriate (spelling?), you just know dont you if there is something not quite right.

So, like you said, im going to try a fourth gyno...make sure that they swab me, even if it means i do it myself...lol...

I truely believe that doctors, gynos etc dont appreciate the full 'epidemic' that BV is, and i really dont think they take it seriously. Its such a bore to live with and if you are 'lucky' 'willing' enough to actually have sex and concive, then youre faced with a whole new problem. My mother is a midwife and to have BV, high pH levels when carrying a child is chillingly fatal to your unborn child.

Now, excuse me, im off to find my 'anti-doctors who dont listen to us ladies with BV' posters and banners and hit the streets!

Comment

• Miffed,

Find a new doctor. Keep looking for a new doctor until you find one that takes you seriously. It is terrible to go through this & not be taken seriously. You may not have a medical degree, but you have a brain, and if what he/she is saying doesn't make sense to you, then you know best! Fire your doctor, and hire a new one.

Don't give up. Other women have been through this and have been cured. Usually they've been cured because they listened to their common sense and their bodies.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to have you had sex outside?

thanks for sharing everyone!

we only did it outside twice
                        once time was on vacation

it's exciting cause there's always...

05-12-2022, 05:37 PM By amy40
                      • Reply to Egg Donation

Vanessa R. Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It sounds like even the screening process is lengthy (which does make sense like you mentioned)...

05-12-2022, 10:45 AM By Zoë T.
                      • Reply to have you had sex outside?

Alison H. I agree with the question you raised! Does tent sex count!? The only time I had sex outside was on a camping trip (technically inside) a tent....

05-12-2022, 10:31 AM By Zoë T.
                      • Reply to gifts for spouse/boyfriends

I discovered the gift of experiences this past Christmas — I bought a few of them for people because I thought it was SO cool. I'll have to look up...

05-11-2022, 09:57 AM By Alison H.
                      • Reply to Underwear or not?

I do — but I'm so prone to UTIs (thanks, menopause!) that I'm afraid not to. I USED to skip underwear years ago, but it's been a LONG time.

05-11-2022, 09:46 AM By Alison H.

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• gifts for spouse/boyfriends

I struggle to know what to get for gifts

got him wireless ear buds for b'day
                        beer making kit & other stuff for Christmas

04-16-2022, 12:08 AM By amy40
                      Working...
                      X