Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Depo provera, and other issues

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depo provera, and other issues

i am struggling to get some advice and I hope somebody can help me, my story goes like this:
    Ever since I was 10 I have had seriously bad period pains, I waited years to go get checked at my doctor to know what it was.
    I would be violently sick, I would be in agony, it felt like I had a knife stabbing me in my abdomen. I would have to lay on the bathroom floor crying in pain until it stopped.
    it would take up to 3-5 hours before I could get comfortable.
    It was hard when I started work as it would happen randomly. I would often be late, or too early.
    I would always be heavy with massive clots, my cycle normally lasted 5 days and sometimes a few days longer.
    My mum was diagnosed with Endometriosis and cervical cancer a few years ago, and had every sign that I do.
    I went to my doctor at age 19 after 9 years of putting up with the pains I felt.
    They did an ultra scan and found 8 cysts, one big one and 7 little cysts around my ovaries, the doctor told me I had half a chance of giving birth and to expect some miscarriages. They sent me to a Gyn, and he put me on Depo provera. I have always hated needles and thought that it was the best choice, I took their word, they said it would stop my periods completely for 3 months hopefully stopping my pain.
    Was that wrong completely, I had my injection around the 28th of June, I had no problems at all until the weekend started and I was with my boyfriend, i was in shear agony and had to come home.
    On the 1st I started bleeding a little. Like a teaspoon amount, it wasn't a big deal but I was disappointed that I had one as they told me I wouldn't. Each day I had a period, getting heavier and heavier each day, up until today 26th july I have not stopped bleeding, I have major headaches, serious depression and my period pain has returned. Not as bad as before but still pretty bad. Even the opening of my vagina hurts now, and I'm clotting again.
    I do not know what to do, or what to suggest. It's almost been a month on Depo provera and I already don't like it.
    I really hope somebody can suggest something, because taking up to 3 nurofen a day is not what I plan on having an easy lifestyle.
    They wouldn't check for Endometriosis because of my age.
    Please I hope you can assist me
    I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I have searched high and low for help, and I know my doctor will just tell me to wait it out, is there anything i can do for now?

• I was on the Depo shot for years, and other than a little spotting the first month on it, I never had a period or any of the symptoms associated with it. I didn't have any of the problems you are describing, although every woman's body is different so there is a chance you're body is reacting differently.

However, katie, you need to go back to your doctor and have them look further into what is going on. You've been bleeding non-stop for about a month now and the other symptoms you are feeling indicate that something isn't quite right in my opinion. If your doc won't look into every option, including endometriosis, then it is time to find another doctor who will run every test in the book to determine what might be causing you such complications.

Comment

• I was on depo for about 2 years. When it comes to this shot it all depends on your body. I was always really fortunate with my menstrual cyle, for it only lasted about 3 days, normal to light flow, and no cramping. So, when it came to me going on depo, it only took a couple months for it to kick in and completely stop my periods. Since you have such a bad menstrual cycle it may take a couple months for it to stop. There are no guaruntees on it stopping completely though. For most people it will stop the cycle but sometimes it doesn't. With being on any birth control though it should definitely help the cysts. Sooner or later though your cycle should lighten up and eventually go away. The headaches will fade as well. I never got them on depo but i did on another birth control. They aren't fun but they will go away. Your body just has to get used to the mass amount of hormones being injected into you. When it comes to the depression bit. If you already had depression before going on depo you should've told them. They recommend that anyone with depression shouldn't go on it because it worsens. I didn't tell my doctor. It got worse but it eventually went to "normal". For the first year, a couple days before and couple days after getting the shot again I just never felt like i was fully here. But all in all most of the bad side affects will wear down along with your cycle. If your cycle hasn't gotten any better by the next time your shot comes around i would definitely talk with your doc.
      I hope I helped in a little way!
      "Life is full of unexpected twists and turns the trouble isn't following the path it's whether or not to take the next step."

"When it rains it pours, but we look forward to the rainbow to help us through."

Comment

• So i have been on my period for 6 weeks straight. i was on the depo shot for 9 months now and my husband and i decided for me to come off of it to get me pregnant. i was supposed to get the next shot july 7th- july 21st. i got my period july 17th. ever since ive been on my period. im going to the doctor in a few days about it but im getting really worried. im scared i wont be able to get pregnant and ever have a kid. does anyone know something that might be wrong. please help me.

Comment

• HELP ME

I've been off the depot shot for 4 months now. My last period was on august 13 seen's i haven't started.i'm getting a little worry i'm trying to get pregnant. How long does it take to get pregnant after the depot shot.

Comment

• i was on the depo shot my 9th grade year everything was fine until march of that year i began having a horrible pain like someone was stabbing me i went to the drs. and found out i had an ovarian cyst which on the depo shot your not supposed to get i also found out that the only thing the shot stopped was my period my uturus was full of blood and causing me to have alot of issues i still have ovarian cysts to this day if i were u id get off the shot asap because your body is not taking to it the way it is designed to it could hurt you in the long run

Comment

• it took me a year and a half and i was only on it for 9 months

Comment

• It took me about a year for my body to get back to any semblance of a normal cycle after stopping the depo injections.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to How do I know? Menopause.

My gyne said you're in menopause when you haven't had a period for a full year. Being on birth control regulates your period and your hormones so it's...

Today, 02:15 PM By Julia W.
                • Reply to Butt Eating

Ah, butt play. Hmmm...it's not my go to area to be honest. No particular reason and I applaud those who enjoy it but I'm pretty indifferent. However,...

Yesterday, 04:05 PM By Vanessa R.
                • Reply to Butt Eating

I have a story from my days running a bar that might help with your question... It was late one night, almost closing time, when my best friend/head...

05-05-2021, 09:01 PM By TJ T.
                • Reply to Do You Think Pretty Privilege Is A Real Thing? If So, How?

I remember when that happened. It annoyed me to say the least, her reaction to “how the other half” must live — as though it didn’t exist until...

05-04-2021, 10:19 AM By Alison H.
                • Reply to Do You Think Pretty Privilege Is A Real Thing? If So, How?

Wednesday L.F. I agree, but I also think that some people may not feel as if they'd "qualify" as attractive/pretty (or at least, not enough...

05-03-2021, 01:06 PM By Emily D.

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• Spontaneous Orgasm

Does anyone know if "spontaneous orgasm" for women is a thing? You know, like you are just going along minding your own business one moment...

04-28-2021, 09:24 AM By FeelingWeird
                • What is your favorite sex toy?

Do you have a favorite sex toy that you can't live without? What is it and where did you get it?

04-24-2021, 11:20 AM By Julia W.
                • Increased UTIs and BV with hormonal IUD?

I've had my hormonal IUD for several years now (Lyletta) and every since I got it I've been really prone to UTIs and BV/yeast infection type situations....

04-18-2021, 01:48 PM By Gena G.
                • Cleaning your sex toys

Hey WHI friends! I've been writing about cleaning sex toys. I hope people know that you should be cleaning them on the reg. Like every time you use them!...

04-16-2021, 02:22 PM By Julia W.
                • Low Arousal

Hello! New here!
                  Im 31, woman married to a man. My husband is extremely helpful when it comes to sex, doing anything I might enjoy. We’ve been...

04-16-2021, 01:50 PM By CourtneyCourtney
                Working...
                X