Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

marathon periods

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marathon periods

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this site. I am 39 years old and having very long periods(30 days). As a result I am constantly anaemic. My doctor has already performed a DNC two months ago. The bleeding finally stopped. But as soon as it was that time of the month it has not stopped. She has put me on progesterone to get my period to stop. It still has not stopped. My ob wants to cauterize my uterus. I have been bleeding again for 29 days. Some days it is very light and others are heavier. At this point I am depressed and tired all the time. I did not know how common this was until I started reading other posts. Does anyone have any information on how to stop this darn period. I really do not want to get my uterus cauterized. I am open to natural remedies. I have heard about wild yam cream to help balance the hormones. Oh my doctor has done an utlrasound, blood work-checking hormone levels and such. Everything came back normal. Help Please!

• marathon periods.. too

Redhead,

It sounds like our situations are almost identical. I am 42 and have been having this problem for about the last 6 months. I also had the D&C in March, it helped for about a month, now it is back to the same heavy bleeding that never ends. I also took progesterone to stop the bleeding. The doctor gave me two choices, a hormone drug, which I am going to try, starting today, or the endometrial ablation (cauterizing the uterus), which he said only stopped the bleeding in about 50% of women that had the procedure. I am at the end of my rope too and am so tired of bleeding and feeling bad. I have read all kinds of negative things regarding a hysterectomy and I am confused and just want to stop bleeding. Please let me know if you get any advice or help with this. I need it too.

Comment

• marathon periods

Hello cagney33

Have you tried any "natural" ways to get your period under control. I went to the health food store and asked what could I do to help. They said that wild yam gel is a natural progesterone. They also suggested that I do a liver clense to help with excess estrogen in my body. Have you heard anything about this stuff. Somebody also suggested that acupuncture might help. I have not talked to anybody that it has worked for. Have you?
      redhead

Comment

• Hi

No, I haven't tried any of the "natural" remedies, even though I'm about ready to try anything at this point.

I just started hormone regulation therapy, which looks like a birth control pill, it's called Activella and the doctor gave me that option to try when I had my last doctor visit. He said that in some cases it works, and some it doesn't, but gave me the option to at least try it for a month or two to see if the bleeding stops. Since this is only day two that I've taken it, I don't know if it's just too early to tell, or if it's not going to work.

I will try it for a month and see if it does any good, but I'm not real optimistic. It will need to make my period almost non-existent for me to keep taking it because it's expensive! A one month supply is 58.00.

I don't always check this site everyday... if you have any advice or questions for me, you're always free to email me directly at hollandp*tinkerfcu****.

Good luck!
        Cagney

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
        X