Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BV - someone please explain yoghurt!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BV - someone please explain yoghurt!

Hi all.

I'm 18 and have my second bout of BV. The first time it occurred literally hours after sex, so naturally I thought it was an STI. I had no symptoms other than the foul odour.

This time round, it was totally random. My boyfriend of a month or so and I have a lot of intercourse (generally most nights) and he (sorry if TMI!) finishes inside me (I'm on the pill).

This time I had no odour to start with, but an intense burning after sex one night, followed by severe itchiness for about four days. That then went, and it was followed by the odour once again. This was about two days ago. I now have my period so I can't really smell anything other than 'general periodness'

I've read non stop about BV for the past few days, and quite frankly - I'm sick of it. I've come to the conclusion that I'll be riddled for the rest of my life

I have stopped using tampons, I haven't had sex for just over a week and I'm going not going to bother starting a new pack of Yasmin as I've heard this can affect the pH balance. I've also started taking the left over BV anti-biotics which I was told to take by my Gyno if it came back. I don't eat much junk food and drink a lot of water. I have also just started taking a probiotic from Healthspan.

What I really need explaining is the Natural Yoghurt thing! Some say insert it into the..ahem (which I have done a couple of times already) and some people say avoid dairy and yoghurt. Who is right?! I have been eating Natural unsweetened yoghurt with Lactobacillus in like there's no tomorrow - should I stop?

I'd really appreciate some clarity. And apologies, I realise BV has been done to death!
    Last edited by Frenchie; 07-23-2013, 10:53 AM.

• So yogurt is popular for a few reasons, first is that it is acidic so it can lower the vaginal ph, which can help with symptoms because the bacterial that cause vaginosis raise your ph. the other, more popular I think, reason is that it is high in "good" bacteria... however whether that means it will help your vaginal flora is debatable, the lacto bacteria in yogurt are not the same species that protect against BV.

I've had bv a few times from my boyfriend finishing inside me frequently, the key is to take a quick shower after sex and rinse his cum out, and make sure he keeps himself clean too! Also I had frequent recurrences for a while, and having the two of us BOTH take antibiotics fixed that.

Good luck, hope you're better, BV is awful...

Originally posted by Frenchie View Post
    Hi all.

I'm 18 and have my second bout of BV. The first time it occurred literally hours after sex, so naturally I thought it was an STI. I had no symptoms other than the foul odour.

This time round, it was totally random. My boyfriend of a month or so and I have a lot of intercourse (generally most nights) and he (sorry if TMI!) finishes inside me (I'm on the pill).

This time I had no odour to start with, but an intense burning after sex one night, followed by severe itchiness for about four days. That then went, and it was followed by the odour once again. This was about two days ago. I now have my period so I can't really smell anything other than 'general periodness'

I've read non stop about BV for the past few days, and quite frankly - I'm sick of it. I've come to the conclusion that I'll be riddled for the rest of my life

I have stopped using tampons, I haven't had sex for just over a week and I'm going not going to bother starting a new pack of Yasmin as I've heard this can affect the pH balance. I've also started taking the left over BV anti-biotics which I was told to take by my Gyno if it came back. I don't eat much junk food and drink a lot of water. I have also just started taking a probiotic from Healthspan.

What I really need explaining is the Natural Yoghurt thing! Some say insert it into the..ahem (which I have done a couple of times already) and some people say avoid dairy and yoghurt. Who is right?! I have been eating Natural unsweetened yoghurt with Lactobacillus in like there's no tomorrow - should I stop?

I'd really appreciate some clarity. And apologies, I realise BV has been done to death!

Comment

• Originally posted by ErIya View Post
      So yogurt is popular for a few reasons, first is that it is acidic so it can lower the vaginal ph, which can help with symptoms because the bacterial that cause vaginosis raise your ph. the other, more popular I think, reason is that it is high in "good" bacteria... however whether that means it will help your vaginal flora is debatable, the lacto bacteria in yogurt are not the same species that protect against BV.

I've had bv a few times from my boyfriend finishing inside me frequently, the key is to take a quick shower after sex and rinse his cum out, and make sure he keeps himself clean too! Also I had frequent recurrences for a while, and having the two of us BOTH take antibiotics fixed that.

Good luck, hope you're better, BV is awful...

Hey ErIya.

Thanks for your reply! Thankfully the BV seems to have gone for the time being. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

G

Comment

• Originally posted by Frenchie View Post
        Hey ErIya.

Thanks for your reply! Thankfully the BV seems to have gone for the time being. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

G
        Yay!!!

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to How do I know? Menopause.

My gyne said you're in menopause when you haven't had a period for a full year. Being on birth control regulates your period and your hormones so it's...

Today, 02:15 PM By Julia W.
        • Reply to Butt Eating

Ah, butt play. Hmmm...it's not my go to area to be honest. No particular reason and I applaud those who enjoy it but I'm pretty indifferent. However,...

Yesterday, 04:05 PM By Vanessa R.
        • Reply to Butt Eating

I have a story from my days running a bar that might help with your question... It was late one night, almost closing time, when my best friend/head...

05-05-2021, 09:01 PM By TJ T.
        • Reply to Do You Think Pretty Privilege Is A Real Thing? If So, How?

I remember when that happened. It annoyed me to say the least, her reaction to “how the other half” must live — as though it didn’t exist until...

05-04-2021, 10:19 AM By Alison H.
        • Reply to Do You Think Pretty Privilege Is A Real Thing? If So, How?

Wednesday L.F. I agree, but I also think that some people may not feel as if they'd "qualify" as attractive/pretty (or at least, not enough...

05-03-2021, 01:06 PM By Emily D.

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• Spontaneous Orgasm

Does anyone know if "spontaneous orgasm" for women is a thing? You know, like you are just going along minding your own business one moment...

04-28-2021, 09:24 AM By FeelingWeird
        • What is your favorite sex toy?

Do you have a favorite sex toy that you can't live without? What is it and where did you get it?

04-24-2021, 11:20 AM By Julia W.
        • Increased UTIs and BV with hormonal IUD?

I've had my hormonal IUD for several years now (Lyletta) and every since I got it I've been really prone to UTIs and BV/yeast infection type situations....

04-18-2021, 01:48 PM By Gena G.
        • Cleaning your sex toys

Hey WHI friends! I've been writing about cleaning sex toys. I hope people know that you should be cleaning them on the reg. Like every time you use them!...

04-16-2021, 02:22 PM By Julia W.
        • Low Arousal

Hello! New here!
          Im 31, woman married to a man. My husband is extremely helpful when it comes to sex, doing anything I might enjoy. We’ve been...

04-16-2021, 01:50 PM By CourtneyCourtney
        Working...
        X