Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highly unusual cycle for me

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highly unusual cycle for me

Every menstrual cycle is unique in someway, but we each have what is regular for us and what is unusual. Mine for instance drastically changed this month and I'm quite bewildered by it. At this very moment, I'm quite fatigued, and feel as though I'm coming down with something. My tonsils are swollen. I know that I am feeling this way largely because of this drastic change this month.

First my periods are ordinarily 4-5 days with the first day experiencing some cramping, the second being the absolute worst with severe cramping, irritability, fatigue, the heaviest bleeding, and gastrointestinal issues, third day is tolerable, and 4th and 5th days almost non-existent but still experiencing some mild gastrointestinal issues. My cycle is between 22-29 days. I've had one month this year where my period was late, but things went back to normal and I did not concern myself too much. In the month of August, for whatever reason it is normal for me to experience two periods, usually book ending the month; one the first week, and the second the last week of August.

This month I started it the week of my birthday, August 11th (happy birthday to me, yaay! phhhtppptthhh). But this one was rather unusual. My body gave me very little warning it was on its way. I had no cramps, bleeding was medium to heavy from day one and consistent throughout and it was a prolonged period lasting 7 days. Okay, it ended; was weird and I chalked it up to increased exercise/activity. No worries! Then without warning I start another period not one week after ending my last one! That is a FIRST for me. I started it on August 22nd and I'm still on it with no signs what-so-ever of it letting up.

That Thursday, I had just finished a great physically demanding mountain bike ride with a local group. It almost seemed that this exercise triggered it. I still have not experienced any cramps but I am bleeding medium most days. Yesterday, however I thought I was going to bleed to death! Nothing I had was absorbing it and I had switch out just about every half hour. I was also quite ill yesterday. I think I had a bit of food poisoning, but can't be sure. Today, my period is back to medium bleeding thankfully, and I was a really good happy mood at work, but man I'm feeling the effects of all the blood loss! Again no signs of it letting up. If, by the end of this weekend, it is still going strong, I'm calling my doctor.

I'm concerned, and have some theories:

1) Increased exercise has increased the amount of cortisol in my body affecting my hormonal balance. My body is under physical stress.

2) My caffeine intake is 5 days a week of mochas! Iced yummy mochas at a local coffee shop! I'm not a coffee drinker at all, in fact I hate the taste of it, but throw in espresso with sugar, milk and chocolate and I'm perfectly fine with it and it gets my brain working in the morning. It has become a monstrous habit for me and I wish to break it. I suspect the sugar and the milk are not doing my poor body any good at all! It is my aim to switch back to my regular morning green tea! this may make a difference.

3) Irregular eating habits. My diet fluctuates weekly/daily from healthy to processed foods. I may be confusing my system!

So what are your thoughts and perspectives? Has anyone else experienced something similar? Deep down I want someone to tell me, to predict if you will, that it will end tonight and I shan't worry.

• I meant to add that I am not on any medications or birth control. At most, I take Aleve or Advil for the cramps and the extremely rare headache.

Comment

• It is finally overwith! I can breathe a sigh of relief. Total of 10 days. I would like to theorize that bringing my hormones back inbalance if indeed that was the case finally helped. I have been eating copius amounts of omega 3s from eating fish, avocados, olive oil and taking a teaspoonful of cod liver oil daily. I've also been resting, eating healthy and avoiding excessive caffeine and taking iron in an effort to combat the anemia. I really don't know for sure if these actions truly made the difference. I'd like to think they helped. If I had done nothing would I still be off and bleeding? Questions will have to remain unanswered for now. Now I just need to fight off a cold!

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• The Submissive Husband & Dominant Wife Dynamic — Let's Talk About BDSM!

When we think of “submissive” husbands, we might envision some quiet, meek guy who is excessively subservient to his wife.

But the truth...

Today, 06:09 PM By Gena G.
      • Reply to How do I know? Menopause.

My gyne said you're in menopause when you haven't had a period for a full year. Being on birth control regulates your period and your hormones so it's...

Today, 02:15 PM By Julia W.
      • Reply to Butt Eating

Ah, butt play. Hmmm...it's not my go to area to be honest. No particular reason and I applaud those who enjoy it but I'm pretty indifferent. However,...

Yesterday, 04:05 PM By Vanessa R.
      • Reply to Butt Eating

I have a story from my days running a bar that might help with your question... It was late one night, almost closing time, when my best friend/head...

05-05-2021, 09:01 PM By TJ T.
      • Reply to Do You Think Pretty Privilege Is A Real Thing? If So, How?

I remember when that happened. It annoyed me to say the least, her reaction to “how the other half” must live — as though it didn’t exist until...

05-04-2021, 10:19 AM By Alison H.

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X