Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flagyl and yeast infection?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flagyl and yeast infection?

Hoping someone out there can help me out.
    I was prescribed Flagyl for bacterial vaginosis last week, told not to drink alcohol, take it for the full seven days, etc. Well now it seems I may have a yeast infection, which I have read is pretty common. What happens now? I mean do I finish out the prescription? Only a couple more days left. Do I use over the counter stuff for the yeast infection as well as the Flagyl? I've actually never had a yeast infection so I'm not sure if it's just a side effect of the antibiotic. Anyone have any experience with this?

• i finished the course and its better to finish it to be honest, then i got a yeast infection right after i finished the course and took canestan tablet with the cream. I applied the cream as directed, and for a little longer than recommended on the pack. it went away but keep an eye out for it, just incase you get an itch or see the discharge, apply the cream straight away and get some advice from GP again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gaucho02 View Post
      I was prescribed Flagyl for bacterial vaginosis last week, told not to drink alcohol, take it for the full seven days, etc. Well now it seems I may have a yeast infection, which I have read is pretty common. What happens now? I mean do I finish out the prescription? Only a couple more days left. Do I use over the counter stuff for the yeast infection as well as the Flagyl? I've actually never had a yeast infection so I'm not sure if it's just a side effect of the antibiotic. Anyone have any experience with this?

It's common to get a reaction from antibiotics, penicilian sometimes it states it on the box.

Try natural yoghurt, it feels messy and horrid, but does the same thing as thrush tablets or creams, takes a bit longer so once your off the tablets, there is a tablet you can get that rids it in 24 hrs.

Don't stress, us women put up with all sorts, unfortunately.
      PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Stop irritating that area.

Yes, i have taken flagyl 2 times, and every time, exactly 24 hours after i get a dreaded yeast infection!!! Antibiotics cause yeast infections, its because they kill the bacteria, good and bad bacteria, which is why we take them when we have an infection. But The body needs the good bacteria, it keeps everything in check, especially the vaginal flora. And when the antibiotics are stopped, the body attempts to reset the levels down there, sometimes, its not always right. And then you get a yeast infection. I am a nurse in a GYN office, its such a bad infection, but its not going to kill you. Diflucan 150mg (flucanazole) is used for this, its a one pill regimen, sometimes 2, and there are no messy creams to use. Its great and on your local non insurance $4 prescription program * Wal Mart or Target. Flagyl is a great drug, but its very strong, and the side effects are usually nausea and diarrhea. If you have a case of Bacterial Vaginosis, dont be alarmed, its just the normal bacteria levels out of wack down there. Very common, But ladies NEVER use soap down there, just cold water and always keep dry. Stay away from scendted panty liners, and tampons, or scented wipes and creams. The scents aggravate the area and cause BV and Yeast infections. Oral sex is safe to do, But alwyas have your mate brush his teeth before hand, your mouth is full of bacteria and you can put 2 and 2 together. A healthy vagina doesnt smell bad. Also dont shave, it causes bumps which in turn cause infections , if you must be hairless then wax. At a salon. Or trim with sterilized scissors. Always wipe from front to back. And of course bubble baths and salts baths are also an irritant for the vagina. And last but not least, use a hypoallergenic detergent for washing your clothes, underwear and all. This is a big NO NO with my patients. Beleive me I have seen it all. And when my patients stop irritating that area, the problems go away! Save yourself a late night call to your doctor and multiple visits and prescriptions and creams.

As a word of advice, whenever taking antibiotics, always take a Probiotic with it. Such as Acidophilus, and Lactobacillius, along with yogurt. But remember to eat the PLAIN yogurt, no flavor is needed, because the yeast love sugar, and you might aggravate the balance more. You can get the acidolphilus probiotic capsules from the vitamin section at your local health food store or grocery store. It might prevent it all from happening. Don't worry about taking 2-3 capsules a day, you cant overdose on this and it could save you a grueling yeast infection.

And just because you haven't had irritation yet, and have always used soap, taken baths and etc etc for years and don't think you should stop, you still need to switch to non scented products. Your tolerance can change overnight. You can still use creams anywhere but the vaginal area.

Comment

• And don't ever put yogurt down there, EVER. Any physician or registered will tell you, or douches. Very big NO NO. You can end up with a huge infection and possible Pelvic Inflammatory disease.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gaucho02 View Post
            I have taken 8 weeks of Flagyl before , along with others with only a week or so in between courses ...ARRRHHH how am i alive ...i dont know ...seriously , yes, finish the course , you must do that but also take something intravaginally for the thrush ..cream and pressary. NO alcohol - if even have a glass of wine ...a terrible reaction . Flagyl and alchohol you get the reaction of antabuse !!! the drug to stop people drinking ...horrific ...avoid at all costs ...

Comment

• Originally posted by marbinx View Post
              And don't ever put yogurt down there, EVER. Any physician or registered will tell you, or douches. Very big NO NO. You can end up with a huge infection and possible Pelvic Inflammatory disease.
              Look it up, i doubt that that, hold stats, nothing at all with non perscriptive medicine... I have used yoghurt lots in my youth, not so much now, nothing wrong with me, and every second Doctor acknowledges that that, is an alternative, natural yoghurt?

CW

Comment

• Originally posted by CHANDLERS WISH View Post
                Look it up, i doubt that that, hold stats, nothing at all with non perscriptive medicine... I have used yoghurt lots in my youth, not so much now, nothing wrong with me, and every second Doctor acknowledges that that, is an alternative, natural yoghurt?

CW
                Do agree with you CW - nothing wrong with yog - if its mild case - if its really taken hold it can make not a jot...its more of a great soother which im all for ...live yog ...some claim to be live but not very good - worth paying extra at health food store ...a little on a tampon for an hour or so ...relieve ..arrrhhhhh

Comment

• Originally posted by Private.Flangeamin View Post
                  Do agree with you CW - nothing wrong with yog - if its mild case - if its really taken hold it can make not a jot...its more of a great soother which im all for ...live yog ...some claim to be live but not very good - worth paying extra at health food store ...a little on a tampon for an hour or so ...relieve ..arrrhhhhh
                  Certainly, not assuming it is great when in "deep water", no way, take that tablet and rid of it in one day ******** it.

But i was flabagasted that someone had said, NO NO NO it will give you this and that.

When i was 11, well bless me, i developed from then, i gained Thrush at 11? I think, after period at 13 eased, ahh so young. ( Stop reading guys), anyway, the recommendation ( so sharing ) back then when it was horrific, thank god stopped, was hot baths with salt water, and um, vinigar. Worked wonders....

Nothing wrong with natural remodies, proof is i am sorry in the pudding as much as stats, .... ???

It's worth telling regardless, if it helps someone.....

CW

Comment

• Introducing food products into your vagina is just not 'good practice'. Besides, it's the wrong type of bacteria. The bacteria located in the vagina have the ability to attach to the vaginal walls were as the stuff in yogurt doesn't.

A homeopath like treatment for yeast or to prevent yeast when you have to take the dreaded flagyl (I won't touch the stuff, makes me sicker than a dog) is boric acid suppositories. Your doc can give you a script for them at a compounding pharmacy or I've heard of women using top grade boric acid powder in capsules. Don't use the lower grade, it's not as pure and won't work as well. If you use the boric acid as soon as you start the flagyl and for a few days afterwards, this should help return things to normal. The boric acid helps keep the vaginal ph acidic.

Comment

• Originally posted by free spirit View Post
                      Introducing food products into your vagina is just not 'good practice'. Besides, it's the wrong type of bacteria. The bacteria located in the vagina have the ability to attach to the vaginal walls were as the stuff in yogurt doesn't.

A homeopath like treatment for yeast or to prevent yeast when you have to take the dreaded flagyl (I won't touch the stuff, makes me sicker than a dog) is boric acid suppositories. Your doc can give you a script for them at a compounding pharmacy or I've heard of women using top grade boric acid powder in capsules. Don't use the lower grade, it's not as pure and won't work as well. If you use the boric acid as soon as you start the flagyl and for a few days afterwards, this should help return things to normal. The boric acid helps keep the vaginal ph acidic.
                      Hi freespirit -can i just tell you my experience having suffered two years with problems ...i had chlamydia ..for months ...my water test at local GU they missed it , therefore i was given pressary adfter pressary of Canestan 500 as the clamydia looked just like thrush and indeed thats what they thought it was ..i used so many , until i developed PID with the other problem hence 8 weeks of Metro , doxycycline and ofloxacin £ weeks at the same time as the metro of doxy and and 6 weeks of all the others of ofloxacin , plus steriods and plus other tablets and co codamol , anti inflamatory, morphine, and other stuff plus i had an ovarian cyst, and BV everything at the same time ...bad ehhh ...id already been taking constant antibiotics ..ALL of them for a year previous and continued with varios antibiotics for ages afterwards...I had to go in Acident and emergency several times because of acute persistant thrush ,...it took ONE year for the antibiotics to leave my body ...if you have bad thrush you need a longer course of treatment like the poster and i did , that is ORAl fluconazole for a while one a week for six months or till you have improvement ...my vagina was ulcerated and swollen shut ...I had every expert possible private NHS ect ...the only thing to do is take a longer course of treatment for thrush orally and Dalacin cream if this lady dosent she is in danger of getting salpingitis long term thrush can cause PID i was told that in accident and emergency but i did kind of know it anyway ..if she developes BV it also needs treatment agin it can cause PID and low birthweight babies ..that needs Dalacin antibiotic ...or she could try a broad spectrum Trichonomaside - canastan pressary des one available in accident and emercency but not i thing just over the counter ...placing anything else in the vagina including tampons or any other stuff is dangerous if you are suffering long term problems ..For this lady its not NORMAL to be having this amount of discharge she needs treatment and to be looked at by an expert in case she has cervical infection ...it would be the most sensible thing to do but dalacin usually clears up excessive dischrge in 7 days but it is antibiotic and perhaps she may get thrush agin , agin an oral tablet to kill the thrush IN THE BODY ...not just the vagina will sort it out

Regards catherine

Comment

• Originally posted by Private.Flangeamin View Post
                        Hi freespirit -can i just tell you my experience having suffered two years with problems ...i had chlamydia ..for months ...my water test at local GU they missed it , therefore i was given pressary adfter pressary of Canestan 500 as the clamydia looked just like thrush and indeed thats what they thought it was ..i used so many , until i developed PID with the other problem hence 8 weeks of Metro , doxycycline and ofloxacin £ weeks at the same time as the metro of doxy and and 6 weeks of all the others of ofloxacin , plus steriods and plus other tablets and co codamol , anti inflamatory, morphine, and other stuff plus i had an ovarian cyst, and BV everything at the same time ...bad ehhh ...id already been taking constant antibiotics ..ALL of them for a year previous and continued with varios antibiotics for ages afterwards...I had to go in Acident and emergency several times because of acute persistant thrush ,...it took ONE year for the antibiotics to leave my body ...if you have bad thrush I you need a longer course of treatment like the poster and i did , that ORAl fluconazole for a while one a week for six months or till you have improvement ...my vagina was ulcerated and swollen shut ...I had every expert possible private NHS ect ...the only thing to do is take a longer course of treatment for thrush orally and Dalacin cream if this lady dosent she is in danger of getting salpingitis long term thrush can cause PID i was told that in accident and emergency but i did kind of know it anyway ..if she developes BV it also needs treatment agin it can cause PID and low birthweight babies ..that needs Dalacin antibiotic ...or she could try a broad spectrum Trichonomaside - canastan pressary des one available in accident and emercency but not i thing just over the counter ...placing anything else in the vagina including tampons or any other stuff is dangerous if you are suffering long term problems ..For this lady its not NORMAL to be having this amount of discharge she needs treatment and to be looked at by an expert in case she has cervical infection ...it would be the most sensible thing to do but dalacin usually clears up excessive dischrge in 7 days but it is antibiotic and perhaps she may get thrush agin , agin an oral tablet to kill the thrush IN THE BODY ...not just the vagina will sort it out

Regards catherine
                        I just wanted to say ladies while im on the subject , i nwearly died having to suffer from all of the above i was skin and bone ..i ate hardly any food , it was very difficult i was skin and bone . I drank mostly water and ate dry buscuits a couple a night for weeks on end the skin fell off my face my hands and fingers shook ...i collaped every time i stood up ...the reason i had to duffer ..chlamydia !!! from my ex boyfriend ..people dont take this seriously ..they think its a nothing problem ...look what happend to me !! i always rattle on about condoms but once without a condom nearly killed me !! Any vaginal discharge should be tested by a high vaginal swab and cultured , water testing asd i di at my GU in the beginning is NOt accurate it can miss it ..thats why i went on to develop what i did , neither are home test kits ..if you catch this early you can avoid near DEATH ..like i just avoided ..im a lucky woman and i still have my period and am fertile ...as far aswe know ...please treat any vaginal discharge seriously and get a test to determine what it is ..dont delay ..delaying can cause loss of fertility and long term complications ..and please dont be ************ like i was always use a condom ...theyrelly can save you so much heartacheand pain ...imfine now well and happy , but i test every 6 months as i thing evry single woman should i do it even though i havent had a partner to get me used to going for these important tests for health ..
                        cathy

Comment

• Hello everyone. My name is Mercedes. I just started the birth control Loestrin 24 Fe a month ago. A couple weeks into it I got a yeast infection. Not sure if it's due to the birth control or due to wearing thongs to be quite honest. So FLAGYL. I went to the OBGYN-met like three different doctors. They gave me vaginal insertions & creams that burned the out of me. & now my last genious doctor decides to put me on FLAGYL. I have Crohns Disease-but that's another story. I asked my gastronenterologist about my "yeast infection journey". He told me FLAGYL is not supposed to be used to treat yeast infections. If anything-it may make it worst. He told me to try monistat & the over the counter products. I'm going to do that to see if it works & I have a feeling it just might. I don't really trust putting yogurt in and out of your vagina NOR garlic. I am going to give the monistat a shot & I am going to continue giving myself salt and vinegar baths. I'll let you guys know. I've been having this yeast infection for like a month.

Comment

• Great information!

I just wanted to tell you that this information was great, in fact, better than the info I got from the doctor at urgent care. I wish I had seen your post first... it would have saved me money and a lot of misery. Thanks again!

Yes, i have taken flagyl 2 times, and every time, exactly 24 hours after i get a dreaded yeast infection!!! Antibiotics cause yeast infections, its because they kill the bacteria, good and bad bacteria, which is why we take them when we have an infection. But The body needs the good bacteria, it keeps everything in check, especially the vaginal flora. And when the antibiotics are stopped, the body attempts to reset the levels down there, sometimes, its not always right. And then you get a yeast infection. I am a nurse in a GYN office, its such a bad infection, but its not going to kill you. Diflucan 150mg (flucanazole) is used for this, its a one pill regimen, sometimes 2, and there are no messy creams to use. Its great and on your local non insurance $4 prescription program ** Wal Mart or Target. Flagyl is a great drug, but its very strong, and the side effects are usually nausea and diarrhea. If you have a case of Bacterial Vaginosis, dont be alarmed, its just the normal bacteria levels out of wack down there. Very common, But ladies NEVER use soap down there, just cold water and always keep dry. Stay away from scendted panty liners, and tampons, or scented wipes and creams. The scents aggravate the area and cause BV and Yeast infections. Oral sex is safe to do, But alwyas have your mate brush his teeth before hand, your mouth is full of bacteria and you can put 2 and 2 together. A healthy vagina doesnt smell bad. Also dont shave, it causes bumps which in turn cause infections , if you must be hairless then wax. At a salon. Or trim with sterilized scissors. Always wipe from front to back. And of course bubble baths and salts baths are also an irritant for the vagina. And last but not least, use a hypoallergenic detergent for washing your clothes, underwear and all. This is a big NO NO with my patients. Beleive me I have seen it all. And when my patients stop irritating that area, the problems go away! Save yourself a late night call to your doctor and multiple visits and prescriptions and creams.

As a word of advice, whenever taking antibiotics, always take a Probiotic with it. Such as Acidophilus, and Lactobacillius, along with yogurt. But remember to eat the PLAIN yogurt, no flavor is needed, because the yeast love sugar, and you might aggravate the balance more. You can get the acidolphilus probiotic capsules from the vitamin section at your local health food store or grocery store. It might prevent it all from happening. Don't worry about taking 2-3 capsules a day, you cant overdose on this and it could save you a grueling yeast infection.

And just because you haven't had irritation yet, and have always used soap, taken baths and etc etc for years and don't think you should stop, you still need to switch to non scented products. Your tolerance can change overnight. You can still use creams anywhere but the vaginal area.[/QUOTE]

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Epilady?!?

Oh man... I have something like this — but I don't really use the epilation part of it anymore. It's an electric shaver (which I DO use) that has an...

Today, 05:16 PM By Alison H.
                            • Reply to Ex boyfriend dilemma

It's almost impossible to know how your baby will look like.

Today, 02:15 PM By ferahunt
                            • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

never wanted to get married let alone have kids
                              also, have health issues that would make caring for an infant difficult

after being...

Today, 10:12 AM By amy40
                            • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me?

I'm also childfree by choice. I never felt the desire to have kids. I also have some other health issues that would make pregnancy and care for an infant...

Today, 05:11 AM By Laura V.
                            • Reply to Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating?

Totaly agreed...

Yesterday, 01:28 PM By Louna11

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• stabbing pain

started have stabbing pain in vulva area
                              looked it up & says vulvodynia
                              however, I have had this stabbing pain in one leg & side,...

09-19-2021, 10:09 AM By amy40
                            • Epilady?!?

I was cleaning out an old trunk from my teen years and came upon the medieval torture implement, the epilady. For the uninitiated, it’s a device that...

09-16-2021, 11:32 PM By Wednesday L.F.
                            • Phonesex, anyone?

In my 20s, I worked as a phonesex girl. It was fun and all, but it led me to not want to engage in that sort of activity in my personal life. Fast forward...

09-16-2021, 11:28 PM By Wednesday L.F.
                            • Skyla IUD Sudden Period Problems

I’ve had my Skyla IUD for 2 and a half years now, no complications except for hormonal acne that’s managed well. It’s due to expire next May. My...

09-06-2021, 02:21 PM By LuckyWitch77
                            Working...
                            X