Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharp pain during intercourse

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp pain during intercourse

When my husband and I have sex I experience a sharp pain upon his insertion and general discomfort. It's more severe when we're in the position of face-to-face sex, whether "missionary" or I'm on top. If I'm facing away, it's not as severe.

The area of pain is centered right inside my vagina toward the front (anteriorly), and when I press on the area I can feel my pelvic bone as well. I've been to a urogynecologist who claims it's an overactive bladder, but I don't have pain associated with urination and such.

I'm 31 and this has been happening for at least 3-4 years now. I take Yaz as a low-dose BCP and have been off and on taking the pill since I was 17. I have no children and only use pads when I have my period (so it can't be irritated from tampons).

I used to really enjoy sex but now it's more of a chore because of the pain. Does anyone else have these symptoms or could point me to something to research??????

Thanks

• Sometimes the muscles supporting the urethra and bladder can become tight and stay that way, along with the rest of the muscles in your pelvis. If it feels like you have a uti, but don't have the burning with urination that is associated with one, it might be worth looking for a physical therapist that works with myofascial release.

Comment

• I'm not so sure it's musculature in nature. It's centered around the direct opening towards the urethra and it's really uncomfortable, but no other place in my vaginal canal.

If I put my finger in this particular place and press I get the same sensation, and I'm not quite sure what's going on

Comment

• Could be vaginismus? Look it up on Wikipedia for some details to see if that might be it.
        Well some people say that you shouldn't tempt fate, and for them I can not disagree. But I never learned nothing from playing it safe; I say fate should not tempt me. I take my chances.

Comment

• Originally posted by snuglet View Post
          I'm not so sure it's musculature in nature. It's centered around the direct opening towards the urethra and it's really uncomfortable, but no other place in my vaginal canal.

If I put my finger in this particular place and press I get the same sensation, and I'm not quite sure what's going on
          Right. What you describe can indeed by caused by tight muscles. I've had it happen and physical therapy was the only thing the eased that pain. It might not be what's going on with you, but it definitely won't hurt to find out.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X