Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sour Smell

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sour Smell

I got my period yesterday, and I noticed whilst I was changing my tampon that the menstruation smells sour and foul instead of that usual thick and cloying sweet smell. Bitter, almost like diarrhea.
    It smells terrible, but the flow and colour seems to be completely normal, and it isn't so over-powering that the smell follows me about, its only noticeable when I change my tampon.
    Any suggestions?

And on a side note, I'm in university and working a part-time job, as well as being in a new city, so seeing a doctor is something I don't know if I can do...unless walk-ins do that, and I've got trust issues. Anyways, does anyone have any idea?

• The first thing I would suggest would be to stop using tampons and get some organic menstrual pads (or tampons, but I've gone off the whole tampon idea). Natracare is one brand I know of. If they don't have them in your usual grocery store then check a health food store. Alternatively, you can try a menstrual cup, such as the MoonCuo (UK) or DivaCup (US). Tampons contain all kinds of nasty things and even if you've never had a bad reaction before you could develop one now. Plus, if you have some sort of bacterial infection then you want to allow your vagina to breath and heal itself, so shoving cotton up there is not a good thing to continue.
    Well some people say that you shouldn't tempt fate, and for them I can not disagree. But I never learned nothing from playing it safe; I say fate should not tempt me. I take my chances.

Comment

• Good advice, silvertae. I advice the same -use some quality pads.

Anion are very good quality, comfortable, healthy, and can be ordered online. If you are interested let me know and I can give you more details about what the best place to get them from is. They might offer some free samples if you want to try these pads.

Comment

• I had the same problem!!

I had the same problem. Yesturday i was taking care of my baby nephew and i kept on thinking he pooped his pants because i smelled poop. also i thought he was throwing up or something because i smelled vomit. when i went home i took out my tampon and smelled the smells i was smelling when i was taking care of my nephew. today in school in my class someone started to complain of a smell. it smelled kind of like the smell i smelled when i took out my tampon. and i actually stuck the tampon up to my noes and it def smelled like that.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to kid grew up

Yep... teenagers want their space. They will engage when they need something LOL!

Find some other hobbies and interests aside from parenting....

Yesterday, 11:50 AM By EmptyNester
        • kid grew up

my kid grew up too fast!
          husband & I are parents to a teen-8th grader
          I SO miss the young toddler years when we played all day- playdoh,...

Yesterday, 10:35 AM By amy40
        • Reply to How to cope with great menstrual Pain?

If you feel up for it (and it would make total sense if you didn't) try masturbating -- an orgasm can sometimes (for some people) alleviate cramps. If...

Yesterday, 08:56 AM By Kayla Lords
        • Reply to How to cope with great menstrual Pain?

When you experience cramps, consider taking a warm bath or applying a heating pad, hot water bottle, or heating pad because Heat can help relax the muscles...

11-30-2022, 10:33 PM By Ronit Raj
        • Reply to My husband wants to watch me have sex with another man

I absolutely agree, Wednesday! These comments have been encouraging and supportive in every way possible. MOLLYBANKMENT, thanks so much for sharing the...

11-30-2022, 09:08 PM By Clarisse Q.

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

• kid grew up

my kid grew up too fast!
          husband & I are parents to a teen-8th grader
          I SO miss the young toddler years when we played all day- playdoh,...

Yesterday, 10:35 AM By amy40
        • purity culture

Does anybody think that purity culture is a form of abuse? I was raised in a southern baptist home and grew up in purity culture. Thankfully I never fell...

11-30-2022, 11:58 AM By victoriachan365
        • permanent hair removal

Has anybody ever done electrolysis or laser hair removal? I'm looking for permanent hair removal for my brazilian area as soon as I have money. I'm sick...

11-29-2022, 08:27 PM By victoriachan365
        • antimarriage and kids

I was wondering if anybody else can relate? Me and my boyfriend have been together for 2 years and do not desire marriage or kids. Growing up in a fundamentalist...

11-29-2022, 08:20 PM By victoriachan365
        • Holidays and new relationships

I know that every single couple approaches this topic, as well as their relationship, at their own pace. Since it's the holiday season in America, I'd...

11-28-2022, 06:03 PM By atskitty2
        Working...
        X