Women's Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manadatory HPV vaccine...

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manadatory HPV vaccine...

Hey all! I heard on the news that the US government is trying to decide if they should make the new HPV vaccine, Gardisil, mandatory for young girls. I am a bit torn on which side to take.

Part of me thinks it's a good idea. Just because too many young women are having unprotected sex. They say it might contradict the urge for abstinance by saying it's ok to have sex. I can't say I agree with that part. Many young girls these days are having sex and hiding it from their parents. So no one knows that they need the vaccine until it's too late. So because of that factor, I think making it mandatory is a good idea.

On the other hand, I am just not to keen on the government having so much control over our health and free will.

What do you think?

• That is a very good question. I think that the vaccination should be made available to anyone who wants it, this includes women who do not have health insurance. I also think this should be added to the regular cycle of immunizations when we are young. You are right, it is very difficult for many girls to talk to their parents about sex. Many parents try to dodge the subject or scare their kids into not having sex instead of educating them. By making it mandatory, this takes the "shame" off of teens who ask for it. If it is not made mandatory, I think health officials should strongly recommend it.

Comment

• I agree with missb completely. It could save a lot of young people from making some big mistakes.

Comment

• I've had HPV. I'm 21 and learned I had it when I was 19. It was devastating because even two years ago people didn't know much about it. Only after did I start seeing the public service commercials and now finally the vaccine.

I had the LEEP procedure done, that means I don't have the choice to have my children natural birth I had to have my children c-section, because my cervix is too thin. This may not be a big deal to some but I wanted to have many children and that's not safe if you have them all c-section.

It was very stressful to go through this procedure. Many emotions came through when I learned had HPV, I felt ashamed. My father won't look at me and made jokes about me being a ****. And I wasn't.

Now anyone that argues against making Gardasil mandatory is just misinformed. You should rethink what you just said.

If they invented a vaccine for AIDS wouldn't you want to make that mandatory?

And if you are arguing that it would give a girl the idea it?s ok to have sex, isn't putting her on the pill do the same thing??? don't the pros weigh out the cons?

So I only wish that they would have invented this when I was younger, I would not wish on my worst enemy what I have to go through emotionally and physically on my worst enemy.

Mind you that Gardsil only protects you from 4 of the many many strains of HPV, but four is way better than none. But also because of this we must educate, because even with condom use you can transmit HPV.

And did you know...
        • Most sexually active adults (ages 15 to 49) will acquire HPV at some time in their lives and will never even know it. HPV usually has no symptoms and does not cause disease.
        • Some types of HPV can infect a woman's cervix and cause the cells to change. Most of the time, HPV goes away on its own. When HPV is gone, the cervix cells go back to normal. But sometimes, HPV does not go away. Instead, it lingers (persists) and continues to change the cells on a woman's cervix. These cell changes can lead to cancer over time, if they are not treated.
        Ahh so yes the age old myth that too much sex can kill, is true because of HPV and AIDS!!!!!

Last edited by Alison H.; 08-21-2020, 03:37 PM. Reason: link removal

Comment

• I live in Texas where our governer made it mandatory, I personally believe this is one of the best decisions he has made yet, but I do know people on both sides and I just wish everyone could think like you ladies do!!
          [♥]Jessica Dawn[♥]

Comment

• I have HPV and have also had a LEEP done. Yes it sucks! But I wouldn't make the vaccine manditory - make it available yes.
            There are consequences to doing stupid things like having sex with the wrong person and not knowing their sexual history.
            Also, it's demeaning to those who chose to only have one partner in their lifetime and would otherwise never be exposed to it. It's something you expose yourself to by choice, you should have the choice to take the vaccine or not.
            Also, they don't know the longterm effects of this type of vaccine - I just wouldn't put more stuff into my body than I have to!

Comment

• I have also had HPV . A lot of women have it and dont even know.. most kinds will just go away on there own. I had to do research for a debate on the subject of makin Gardiasil mandatory. I persoanlly do not like the idea of having the goverment controling my personal rights like that. I know there is a very good argument that this vaccine will keep their children safe but in all reality this vaccine has not been out long enought to even be considered safe to make it a mandatory vaccine. It should be made available to those who want it. Just because it was approved by the FDA does not give it a gaurantee that nothing will be wrong with it. There are a number of medications that have had recalls YEARS later with horendous and even sometimes critical reprecussions. One day it might be a good idea to make it mandatory but right now it is WAY TOO SOON. Gardisal is advertised as preventing CERVICAL CANCER when in all truth it does not protect against all of the HPVviruses that can cause Cervical cancer. I just feel more time should be given to the research of Gardisil before even CONSIDERING to make it mandatory for our children.

Comment

or

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Activity On Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics On Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
              X